Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Windermere, Ebb Tide, Queen of Sweden and a few other blooms

the_dark_lady
12 years ago

Beautiful day today in Amelia County :)

Please take a look at a few pictures I took this morning.

Windermere, is one of my favorite English Roses, quite healthy, always in bloom. The scent is magnificent.

{{gwi:1289160}}

{{gwi:1289161}}

{{gwi:1208116}}

Queen of Sweden is full of blooms, just like spring

{{gwi:1289163}}

Ebb Tide, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw these two blooms. The color was amazing.

{{gwi:1197183}}

Jalitah is blooming her head off, this is just a promising bud

{{gwi:1289165}}

Heritage, gave me some really large flowers

{{gwi:1289167}}

And this is a novelty from Europe (I've got a cutting from dear friend). The blooms are not large, but the coloring is very interesting and unusual.

Art Nouveau

{{gwi:1289169}}

{{gwi:1289171}}

Thank you for looking.

Marina

Comments (30)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

All are wonderful! I really like Windermere and especially Art Nouveau! I really find unusual roses very interesting. I added Jalitah this summer, but it hasn't bloomed yet...I look forward to spring! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, TNY! You will not be disappointed with Jalitah. She blooms a lot!!! What's also important, blooms last a loooong time on the bush.

I forgot to add two more photos to my report. This is also a novelty rose from Europe. Love it to pieces. Color is so unusual!!!
    When I first saw this rose on the photo, I thought it was a Tree Peony bloom :)

Eyes for You

{{gwi:1204633}}

{{gwi:1289174}}

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Wow gorgeous photos. I luuuuuv english roses and yours are beautiful!! Your right, that shot of Eyes for You does look like a tree peony. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Marina, very beautiful roses as usual! My favorite is Windemere, Ebb Tide is also very stunning. Jalitah is new to me so I will look it up on HMF.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures of your lovelies! I enjoyed looking at them very much!

Christina

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Marina, the roses are gorgeous and the pictures are breathtaking! I want Art Nuveau!!!

• inga007
    12 years ago

An absolutely stunning show, with a few I have never heard of. Lovely photographs too.
    I just hope you will post some more, more, more.......

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your comments.
    I am sure I will be back with more :)))
    Marina

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I love the color of Ebb Tide. Great pics.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Krista. I wish Ebb Tide were always of this color. Unfortunately, during hot summer weather, the color turns to unattractive magenta, and blooms with fewer petals and much smaller in size.
    Marina

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Fell in love with Eyes for You....maybe they'll offer it in the States some day too. For being a much lesser known class of roses, Hybrid Hulthemia Persica's have such drop dead georgious colors! I have Persian Light on order from Pickering in the spring...I just hope its as beatiful as its pictures appear to be :)

However, I'm guessing this is a class bred from Persian Yellow (and that's a complete assumption), I wonder if they have that terrible smell and BS problems that PY has?

~Tammy

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammy, I don't have any of the 'Persian' series roses, but Eyes for You has wonderful fragrance reminiscent of cloves.

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Wonderful photos. Your roses look so clean and perfect!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Talk about some unusual roses!!! And all of your roses are amazing!!

My favs are Eyes for you (!!!), Jalitah and Queen of Sweden. I have QOS and just love it!!! Eyes For You is soooooo beautiful.

Carol

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, Kathy and Carol!

Carol, yes Eyes for You is amazing. Not only she has unusual color and wonderful fragrance, it also blooms non-stop. Right now blooms are about 3 1/2" to 4" in diameter.
    Heat, drought and humidity do not bother her. Without any single spraying, she is clean as a whistle.
    I don't know yet what kind of bush it will make, can only speculate that with age it will be even more magnificent.

BTW, S&W Greenhouse is offering another creation of Peter James, also hybrid hulthemia - Bulls Eye.
    I definitely want one :)

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulls Eye @ S&W Greenhouse

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Gorgeous photography and roses. Thank you so much. I love them all. Eyes For You is a very different and pretty rose, but your photo of Windermere is classic.
    Renee

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I LOVE all your pictures. How does Windermere smell like? I'm torn between Queen of Sweden and Heritage for this spot next year. I wonder which of the three above make best fragrant cut flower? Besides Frederic Mistral, I don't know of any other thornless cut flower.

Your "Eyes for You" is gorgeous. It does look like those over $100 per bush tree peony - very exotic.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, among Queen of Sweden, Heritage and Windermere, the last is the most fragrant. The fragrance to my nose is of rose essence, fruit and citrus.
    Windermere also makes a very attractive bush (I have 7 bushes of it in my garden). Rounded, leafy to the bottom, with blooms all over the bush. It blooms non-stop till very late in season, I think I've never seen this rose without blooms on it. Disease resistance is great. I do not spray my garden at all and this rose is clean and keeps 99% of its leaves.
    Just to illustrate how long Windermere is blooming, this is a photo of a small bouquet I made last year on November 20th.
    {{gwi:1289175}}

Marina

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, to convince you even more, please take a look at some pictures of Windermere.

{{gwi:1289176}}

{{gwi:1289177}}

{{gwi:1289178}}

{{gwi:1289179}}

{{gwi:312595}}

I have more pictures of this rose in my Photobucket album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winderemere photos @ Photobucket

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Very nice pictures. Your Windermere looks wonderfully miles ahead of mine.

I also thought that Eyes for You looked like a tree peony, and I was wondering where you got this most interesting rose. Did you import it?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, The Bustopher!
    No, I didn't import Eyes for You, I was lucky to get a cutting from a friend.
    Marina

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Marina: thank you so much for posting those pictures. Windermere is AWESOME. I have never seen a rose bush that loaded, not even in the public rose gardens. Thank you for helping us newbies - you really have a green thumb.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I was looking up Windermere in Austin's catalog: "A particularly free-flowering variety that flowers very late in the season. It produces many basal shoots with few thorns. Fruity fragrance with hint of citrus." I love its creme color.

Marina: how do you fertilize your Windermere for it to be so loaded? Many thanks. The rose park nearby fertilizes with chemicals, and I usually see the most is 10 blossoms per bushy Austin.

You also have Heather Austin, which David Austin mentioned about its stamens smell like cloves. Is that a pleasant smell? I like Christopher Marlowe's citrus smell, but its fleeting fragrance lasts only one day. I'm addicted to Mary Magdalene's myrrh and tea smell, it reminds me of the Catholic church's incense.

My hubby just got six crystal flower vases for free, I'm getting ideas from you for flower arrangments. Many thanks for your post pics.

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Nosey me would love to know how many roses you grow!!! You have such an amazing selection, and then to have 7 Windermere rosebushes is mind blowing for me. I guess I am up to 125 roses in my garden, but several need to meet the shovel! Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you. Lesley

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, honestly, I never took a sniff of my 'Heather Austin'. Will check it out tomorrow :)
    As for fertilizing, once in a season, when roses just start breaking dormancy, I sprinkle plain 10-10-10 around the base, maybe a handful of epsom salt and another handful of whatever organic fertilizer I buy from clearance sale. That is it. I don't believe, I do this every year.

Lesmc, I think I have about 1100-1200 varieties and probable well over 2000 bushes in my yard. I am also thinking about giving some roses shovel-pruning this year. Those who do not perform or just hang near life and death, have to free room for other roses from my pot ghetto :))

Marina

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Marina, Thank you for your response. I can understand your fertilizing schedule with 2000 roses! I can`t believe you have the time to sprinkle 10-10-10 !!! You must have very fertile soil,plus lots of space. I still say I would love to walk your gardens!! I hope you will post more pictures this winter. The days get long when we can`t get out in our own rose gardens and your pictures (everyone`s pictures) help ! Lesley

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Marina, I just bought Windermere yesterday, and came across this thread. Thank you so much for posting these photos, I am so excited about this rose, especially after seeing your stunning pictures. Unbelievable that you can take care of that many roses - hats off to you!!!

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Oh my. How did I miss this group! Lovely. Especially love Windermere.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I enjoyed being able to see these beautiful photos again. If you love Ebb Tide's color, I hope you are trying Twilight Zone, ET's offspring. I think it holds its color better in the heat than ET.
    I hope we'll be seeing more photos of your wonderful roses soon. I believe last time you posted you weren't feeling quite up to par because of some surgery. Let us know how you're feeling now--much better, I hope. Diane

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

That Windermere looks MUCH better than my Claire Austin. I should have got her instead of CA. CA for me is a huge disappointment.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! What a pleasant surprise to find my last year's post 'rediscovered'!:))
    Thanks, everybody, for the nice comments.

Harmony, I am sure you will enjoy this rose. In my opinion, it is one of the very best English roses. I like it so much, I have half a dozen of them in my garden!:)

Diane, thank you very much. Yes, I do feel better, fully recovered from my surgery, it took two full months. Feels great to be back to normal:)
    Yes, I do have Twilight Zone, but so far was not impressed with it. The bush is still establishing, didn't grow much, didn't bloom much. I really hope it improves, love the color a lot!

{{gwi:1289180}}

Jumbojimmy, I am also disappointed with my Claire Austin (have three of them) - nice spring flush with nothing to write home about after that. Windermere is far superior to Claire A.