Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

The Three Elizabeths

TNY78
12 years ago

I realized today that I have three roses with the name Elizabeth in their titles, and all are in bloom ! Here are their pictures :)

Queen Elizabeth

{{gwi:1290139}}

{{gwi:1290140}}

Elizabeth of Goshen

{{gwi:1290141}}

St Elisabeth of Hungary

{{gwi:1290142}}

{{gwi:1290143}}

Comments (20)

• inga007
    12 years ago

What a lovely collection of three, such different, blooms

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Your garden must be spectacular! Lots of roses in all colors!!!! Do you also grow perennials with your roses. You must post garden pictures some time. I would love to see your entire garden. Queen Elizabeth was my fathers favorite rose. Yours is just lovely. Thanks....Lesley

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lesley, There's about 200 roses spread throughout the 1 acre lot...but they've all been planted within the last 4 years, so they have a lot of growing yet to do :) I'll be sure to post pictures in the spring when some of the once bloomers do their thing! I'm actually really excited for spring because I planted quite a few ramblers and climbers this spring/summer and next year will be their first bloom!

It's funny that you asked about the perenials because I currently have a thread in the Antique Roses Forum asking for suggestions for some disease resistant OGRs that I can plant in front of my HT's to hide the ugly legs they get by the end of summer :) I don't have any perennials mixed in most of the backyard beds, only a couple of grape vines and blueberry bushes that were already there before the roses...I guess I like to keep it pretty much all roses! Although the front yard beds are mixed with some, day lilies, lilac and then some holly, yew, and other evergreens so it looks nice in winter also :)

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I love all your pics, Queen Elizabeth is the best looking bush in the rose park nearby. I wonder which ones of your 200 roses are the most fragrant? And which ones of your 200 like partial shade the most?

My Mom had a 5-acres of perennial flowers in Michigan, she gave me seeds of her MOST favorite perennial: it gives bright orange blooms, I don't know the name - but can post some pictures if you are interested. It looks nicer than marigolds, and look really good to cover up those leggy HT's. I hate black-eye-Susan, but I love these orange perennials which are compact, and bloom past frost.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely roses, Tammy! My Queen Elizabeth is blooming right now too. I have never seen those other two but they're both very pretty!

Strawberry, post a pic and maybe we can ID them for you!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Very lovely!!! My daughter says that St. Elisabeth of Hungary (the person) was married at the age of 12.

You know, one reads quite often that Queen Elizabeth isn't a great rose - yet every time I see it, it looks so pretty! Does your rebloom slowly?

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Here's the picture of the yellow perennial. It's sown easily from seeds. It blooms non-stop from June to November. I like it better than my petunias (flop in rain), and better than inpatients (need water). It's taller than annual flowers, but not invasive like Black-eyed Susan (which I don't like).

The other perennial suggestion by Karen from Michigan are those pointy blue flowers that she planted next to red William Shakespeare. My hubby got me the same spiky flowers, but in pink - I planted it right below a tree and it's still alive after 10 years. These pointy flowers bloom a short time, versus the yellow perennial that bloom for 6 months, NON-STOP.

{{gwi:239567}}

These yellow clump really brighten up my tomato garden.

{{gwi:221290}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Nice pics. Some kind of coreopsis, I believe.

Kate

• ramblinrosez7b
    12 years ago

Very beautiful roses TNY.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Definitly pretty Strawberry...it looks like a daisy to me...but then again I'm horrible at identifying perrenials (but I can spot a rose from 100 feet away! :)

Carol, I didn't know that about the real St. Elisabeth...and I have a BA in History...lol! Actually don't know much about Hungarian history, but I may read up on her, just for my own knowledge :)

As for Queen Elizabeth (the rose, not the person...haha), she blooms beautifully for me, but without spraying, she's always naked from the blooms down :)

• gacheryl
    12 years ago

I love the yellow perennial. It resembles helianthus and gerber daisy. The leaf looks like a coreopsis. If you haven't found out the name yet, could you send it to a perennial grower in your area? I buy a lot perennials from Bluestone perennial. Maybe they could help you with it? I'm dying to have one like it. Thanks for showing it.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Lovely roses and the yellow perennial is quite charming.

These pics brightened my day, thanks for posting.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I'm thinking coreopsis too. There are a lot of different varieties and they do clump and spread like that.

Carol, my QE gives me two, maybe three depending on the weather, flushes a season. But like Tammy said, she's usually half naked most of the season.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Looks a bit like Calendula.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thanks, Inga, for correct identification of the yellow perennial as "Calendula", perfect for hiding leggy roses.

When I googled Calendula, I was surprised by its many medicinal values. I also have the endangered species, "Calendula Maritime" with the yellow center, rather than black.

It's such an awesome non-stop blooming perennial with medicinal values - more should be grown. I spent at least 4 hours killing invasive Black-eyed Susan, and this Calendula yellow perennial has never wasted my time like other invasive flowers. I never water it either.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Glad to be of help.
    Can I expect some medicinal salves? :>) ha-ha.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Inga: Many thanks for your ID of my plant. I didn't know that the yellow-center uglier one is endangered. I was killing it, since I like the orange ones with black center better. I would have to get the yellow ones' seeds from my Mom again. Some info. on calendula:

"Calendula is not one of the major medicinal herbs, but it does have its place in the medicine cabinet. The petals or leaves can be used in a Tea to induce sweating, promote menstruation, increase urination, relieve stomach cramps, indigestion and stomachaches, and for relief from flu and fevers.

Externally, Calendula flowers and leaves can be made into an Ointment or powder for a variety of common skin ailments, including cuts, scrapes, abrasions, scalds, blisters, acne, rashes (including diaper rash), chicken pox outbreaks, and athlete's foot. For bee stings, rub the fresh flowers directly on the sting to relieve the pain."

• inga007
    12 years ago

Almost sounds like a wonder drug. I knew about the ointment (since the salve joke) but not about the tea. Thanks for the info.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

The problem with calendula here is that it doesn't like heat and humidity, and both come quickly in this climate. Do you sow yours in the summer for fall blooms?

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Calendula sows itself, so it never dies on you. I collect the seeds in late fall and sow it before the winter in places that the wind can't carry.

Calendula was blooming here in 90's degree August, it's drought tolerant. It's less fussy than coreopsis - which does not have the ability to self-sow, and lasts only a few years. I used to have at least 10 varieties of coreopsis, but they died in heavy clay. Calendula hasn't died on me since I got the seeds from my Mom 12 years ago.

Lacewings feast on Calendula, so do gorgeous butterflies. Beneficial lacewings eat roses' asphids, mites, midges, and thrips. I hope more people would grow that one particular endangered species of Calendula, the yellow one.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES