Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Last Call and I Mean It, Sort of ;-)

boxofrox
14 years ago

I'm still cutting flowers but it has definitely slowed considerably. Yesterday, we decided to make two very special ladies happy. Our niece had moved into a new place a while back and her grandmother who is my wife's stepmother has wanted so badly to see it. Katie (24) and her grandmother Sally absolutely adore each other. Sally is 92 years old and just had an episode with a pacemaker so she has been unable to make the trip plus there are lots of steep stairs. Yesterday we took a bravery test and went for it. Of course I had to cut some flowers to mark the occasion, the pictures of which I shall post first. Then I will post the two faces, because that look is.......priceless. One never knows what tomorrow might bring.................

{{gwi:1290286}}

{{gwi:1290287}}

{{gwi:1290288}}

{{gwi:1290289}}

{{gwi:1290290}}

{{gwi:1290291}}

Comments (18)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

wow! spectacular bouquets!
    we will say a prayer for sally.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

AWWWWWW, those are! such wonderful priceless photos! Bless Katie and Sally! I bet Sally was totally energized by your Gorgeous Blooms as always!

Beautiful Bouquets Boxofrox! I can see America, LD Braithwaite, and Dark Lady, Betty Boop too! And is that Lady Emma tucked away in one of them as well? It looks like LEH!

Whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo! more gorgeous blooms! Now do I get to do my happy told-you-so dance that you'd have more treasures coming up? LOL, LOL! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo!

Dahlias are looking like their "Sunday Best". There's no stopping them flowers! No chill to dampen their sunny faces!

Great warmth of family! too, so cozy, cozy cozy!

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

BOXOFROX , you are truly a blessed man to have such Beautiful flowers and Beautiful women in your life. Knowing you they all had a wonderful day and Great MASTERPIECE to enjoy as well. Keep up the fight for as long as you can, we love them all.
    Harold

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys, them smiles is why we do what we do, eh?

KG, Embedded was a special bud just for you. It's the last one of 09. Besides the prez, the roses are Brandy, Royal Gold, Scent from Above, Oklahoma, LDB, LE , America, Joseph's Coat and Betty Boop.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    14 years ago

So much beauty! The flowers and the ladies. I think you are special Boxofrox. You are a gentleman in the true sense of the word. I hope God always blesses your garden and your loved ones. I found this thread touching in how personal it is.

Juliet

• lesmc
    14 years ago

What beautiful bouquets! I love that you are still getting flowers and sharing them.The pictures of your girls are wonderful and I know how much it must have meant to them to get together. I wanted you to know, also..That I now want to grow dahlias thanks to your beautiful flowers!! Thank you, so much. Lesley

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to both of you.

Juliet, Katie is my Pretty Jessica's baby sis. She never got a chance to meet her real grandmother who died a year before she was born so grandma Sally has always been hers and they have a very special relationship :-) I'm still smiling from the visit.

It's funny how life happens sometimes. Right after I started on my garden and before I really had a vision of what I wanted it to be, a whole bunch of people in my life started going through some serious health issues. I had to start making a lot of visits to various hospitals and rehab facilities etc. I started researching where all the local Safeways were and started taking bouquets. Their prices were so great that I would go in and build the bouquets (often 3 or 4 dozen strong )right in the store so when I walked into their room it was all arranged. It was magic :-)
    I love to tell this one particular story......my mother had the most hideous case of Parkinson's you can ever imagine and right in the middle of it she was a passenger in a car that got broadsided by a stop sign runner. It shattered her arm and for one with tremors like she had that is really miserable. Anyway, we had no choice but to put her in an elderly rehab facility and I would go every other day or so and I made sure she always had the most beautiful bouquet in the joint. She was in a room with a poor woman whose family was a disgrace. They seldom ever came and when they did they treated her like you know what and argued over her money. One day while I was at Safeway getting my mother's bouquet built, I thought of this poor woman. I probably took a half hour just deciding exactly what to get her and finally settled on two dozen long stemmed yellow roses which I proceded to make into a very lovely bouquet. When I got there, the sweet little woman wasn't around so I placed them on the stand next to her bed. After visiting with my mother for awhile I headed home. About halfway home my mother called and said the woman was crying and when I asked why she quoted the woman......"How could he have possibly known about my favorite color?" If that doesn't tell all about how special bouquets are to both those who give and those who receive, I don't know what does :-)

The only difference now is I found a way to cut out the middle man ;-)

14 years ago

boxofrox,
    that was a nice story.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Wow, the Prez whoo-hoo! And isn't he looking so Handsome! Boxofrox we had a sudden change of weather, gorgeous spring warmth so the Lincolns and Climbing America that were in a standstill are just beginning to unfurl! So I am crossing my fingers that the warmth will last until at least November 1 so that everything can finish blooming.

I am once-again enjoying restalking those absolutely lovely bouquets and the cozy family photos! And what a blessed story that you have shared. That poor lady must have treasured those roses so very much--what a sad story too about her struggles--those roses must have meant the whole world of Sunshine to her!

• russellmuegge
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the Sort of....................;-) I had to go to the retirement center today to retrieve the vase from my last gift bouquet. It is one of a set of 5 that I am using for the Christmas paperwhites (fragrant narcissus). Wouldn't have been prudent to show up empty handed, right? Last time she got the yellows so this time she got the others. Roses include Blaze of Glory, Stairway to Heaven, Scent from Above, Brandy, The Dark Lady, Betty Boop, and Livin Easy. It started raining cats and dogs so I had to take the pic inside....hate when the flash alters color :-(

{{gwi:1290292}}

{{gwi:1290293}}

{{gwi:1290294}}

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Boxofrox, you kind heart has brouht this old man to tears LOL Brother.
    Harold

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Your flowers are gorgeous---and so are the ladies in your life---
    they are lucky to have someone as thoughtful and caring as you !

I love the picture of Sally holding on to the railing and you standing protectively behind her---

Florence

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I spent all day sucking up leaves and cut the last bouquet of the season. All my roses and dahlias are now officially done. Next week I'm cutting them all down (dahlias) and cleaning all the slimy unopened rose buds off.

This is a combo of both.......

{{gwi:1290295}}

{{gwi:1290296}}

{{gwi:1290297}}

{{gwi:1290298}}

{{gwi:1290299}}

{{gwi:1290300}}

14 years ago

the end of the season showstopping grand finale!
    great bouquet!

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Boro, I hope we get a chance to meet sometime! I'm adopting you. What a kind soul you are and now I know why you were so understanding why I was so sad over the loss of loved ones and the sicknesses of others. My Dad is rallying from the cancer BTW-you would love this..he was depressed..and he is 132 pounds. He got my sisters friend Ruth who loves to garden and they redid his pots on the patio..more lillies, and orchids, and pretty flowers. He loves the posies. He was exhaused the next day but it made him happy. Knowing there are good people out there like you make me smile.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks zyp,

We just do what we do cuz that's who we is :-) The whole process is extremely rewarding. Many mornings when I let my pups out, I walk around the garden with someone in mind. I have a small bucket of water in one hand and pruners in the other. Next think you know.......vwaahlaaa, that someone's face lit up with a big wide priceless smile. It's almost magical :-)

14 years ago

we have a miniature rose planted in a container, it has some buds, but, i do not think they will open. the day-time temps have been ok, but, the nights are dipping to the low 30's.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida