Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clear fall colors

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 22:34

I haven't been doing much in the garden lately and half of it is in shade at this time of year, anyway. Still, those that keep blooming have clear crisp colors in the fall light. Here are a few I have that are still producing:

Hot Tamale, a mini, I moved from the shade in spring to a prime spot. It is still getting established. Cut and put in tiny vases, it has lots of scent.

Snowbird is the absolute best in early spring and fall. I will be rooting cuttings of it this winter in hopes of getting a more vigorous bush.

Sultry has never been a vigorous bush for me but I love its colors.

Pure Poetry has good color now.

Sharon's Delight--an everyday bloomer.

Black Magic blooms on skinny long canes on a skinny tall bush. It takes the heat well.

Honey Dijon is muted in partial shade.

Jean Giono, my dahlia rose.

Ingrid Bergman, best red, best bush, best rose ever.

Symphony (who I keep calling English Garden) is my favorite Austin, stays small as a bush, always has blooms that look like this, no disease ever.

Thanks for looking at the limited selection of roses that grow in my small California garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clear fall colors

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 20:14

Your Jean Giorno is beautiful! I'm not familiar with it...I'll have to look into that one.

Also the color on your Honey Dijon is so different than mine. Mine has never been a vigorous bush, and barely made it through this season :( Its too bad because I really like the color.

Tammy

o

Some very exquisite roses you have. And Jean Giono does, indeed, look like a dahlia. Snowbird is so elegant, and Black Magic is just luscious. What a lovely end to your gardening season. Thanks for posting. Diane

o
Reposting 2

I keep getting the names mixed up and fixing them, so let me try again on these two:

Sharon's Delight

Symphony

o

Wowzer!! Pure Poetry took my breath away!! I also really like Symphony! That's an Austin isn't it? Of those two roses, which one do you like better and why?? :)
Carol

o

Kathy,
I love reading your comments, immensely.
Drats, both cameras have died! I'm trying out a friend's digital SLR this week. Oooue, think I want one.

o

Carol, I would have to pick Symphony above Pure Poetry. I love the yellow color and the matte light green foliage of Symphony and the fact that it stays small here. Most Austins turn into monsters in my climate. It also blooms more, I think. But--I wouldn't want to be without either.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 20:05

Wow! That Hot Tamale is a stunner! I keep looking at Sharon's Delight (it's my name) and thinking I need it!

o

Funny - what you call a plus, I call a negative. :)
Stays small is not what I want here. I need vigor in my roses. So that is really good to know.
Lovely roses!!!
Carol

o

Carol, here in California, zone 9, most Austin's automatically become climbers. It is a rare treat to love an Austin that can be maintained as a smallish bush. Our growing season is very long.

o

What do you think of Jean Giono's fragrance?
Carol

o

Carol, I can't smell very well lately. I had a relative sniff it last weekend and she said it was mild. But--we are in a cooler stage and it may not be giving off much. DH, a while back, also said it was mild.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else can tell you what they think.

o

Thanks Kathy.
I'm really going for scent lately. It has a fantastic look, but.....
Carol

o

Thanks for sharing your beautiful roses.
jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here