Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Winter Hardy Canadian Roses.....loads of them!!

celeste/NH
16 years ago

This post is for those of you who, like me, look out your frozen window every winter and worry about the welfare of your roses. You know, the zone pushers like the Hybrid Teas and Floribundas that may or may not come back after a zone 4 or 5 winter even with your best methods of protecting. I am guilty of growing many, many less hardy roses because they're so beautiful, but sometimes its nice to have roses that you don't have to fuss so much over every winter. I do grow other hardy roses like Gallicas, Albas, Rugosas, Mosses, Damasks, Centifolias, Scotch, Species, and Buck Roses but I wanted to share some of these Canadian roses with you. When well grown they are very worthwhile and attractive roses.

I also grow QUADRA, CHAMPLAIN and WILLIAM BAFFIN but can't locate their photos at this time.

Celeste

HENRY KELSEY

MARIE=-VICTORIN

PRAIRIE JOY

WINNIPEG PARKS

JOHN DAVIS

JOHN CABOT

CUTHBERT GRANT

LOIS JOLLIET

FRONTENAC

GEORGE VANCOUVER

MORDEN SUNRISE

{{gwi:1290858}}

MORDEN RUBY

MORDEN CENTENNIAL

MORDEN FIREGLOW

FOR 2008 I WILL BE ADDING LAMBERT CLOSSE AND MORDEN BLUSH.

Comments (12)

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Very nice pics Celeste! I'm surprised to see how small your George Vancouver is. Mine has grown to well over 5'x5' and that's after giving it a good yearly trim! What's your opinion on Marie Victorin? Mine is two years old and I'm somewhat considering getting rid of it though I may give it another year.

I'm absolutely amazed at how healthy all the roses look. Not a single speck of blackspot!!

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Lots of beautiful blooms. I love the color of Cuthbert Grant.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Oh Celeste---These roses are gorgeous...
    The older I get the more I appreciate the value of these hardy roses-----

My garden has been sorely neglected but I'm making a note of the few that are doing well for future plantings.

thanks for this collection---I will keep it in mind.

Florence

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Celeste, such beautiful roses and photography! Thanks for sharing. Although I'm one zone warmer, I love growing many of the easy-care hardy roses. Prairie Joy is one of my favorites - reminds me of an Austin, and reblooms nicely through the summer. Morden Sunrise is my second favorite hardy rose - such a beautiful yellow/peach blend and the fruity fragrance is amazing.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Very beautiful roses Celeste and your photos are excellent, especially catching the bee hovering over the one rose. These are all such great colors too, I do like Morden Ruby, for the bud and then the bloom.
    Leslie

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    16 years ago

Yes Ma'am Celeste,

For those of us in the great white north, the hardy Canadians provide some welcome roses that can be grown as climbers or just left to do their thing without fuss. I grow several, primarily as climbers where no other repeat blooming climbing roses will work. I have as climbers, John Davis, Henry Kelsey and Morden Snowbeauty. Snowbeauty is advertised as a low shrub but climbs to six or seven feet for me.

I also grow Morden Blush as a hardy, disease free, repeat blooming, old fashioned shrub rose in the same bed as the Austin, Redoute and a couple of Bucks, Prairie Star and Hawkeye Belle, all without winter protection in 4b. I would highly recommend "Blush" as a bedding, landscape or low hedge rose for zone 3 to 5 winter areas.

The link is to to the Canadian Rose Society hardy rose page which will take you to extensive writeups and photos of all the Canadian Explorer and Morden rose varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Rose Society, Hardy Roses

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Love Your Winter-Hardy Roses!

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures of beautiful roses. It is so nice to see these pics of hardy roses growing in a real garden.
    Thank you so much.
    Jim

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

very nice pictures !

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I am planning on getting Morden Sunrise next spring. My mom saw it 'in person' and fell in love. Where it goes... well that's for her to figure out! heehee.

• Pflaeging1935_msn_com
    12 years ago

I have a Winnipeg Parks and on April 22 it is fully leafed out in Colorado This is the 3rd year for it and last year was loaded with blooms all summer. My other roses are just starting to show new leaves at the ground level. Purchased another Winnipeg Parks today but am running out of places. A wonderful plant

• Mountie
    9 years ago

celestialrose,
    Thank you for sharing your photos of beautiful, winter hardy roses. I like the soft pink Prairie Joy : )

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz