Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

Valencia

canadian_rose
11 years ago

I would never want to be without this rose. It gets soooo many blooms that are HUGE. It's supposed to have a nice smell - but I don't notice any. Does anyone else notice fragrance on your Valencia?

Carol

Comments (14)

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another picture of it.
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Ooooh, it is gorgeous. Thanks for posting. Now on to HMF to check out more photos of Valencia. Diane

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's an amazing rose,Diane. The flowers last for weeks!!!
    Carol

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thank you, Carol, for info. on Valencia rose. Sometimes the soil's chemistry can affect a rose's scent. My soil is alkaline clay, pH of 7.7, and Mary Magdalene smells GREAT here - but Niels in Denmark, acidic clay, thinks it's light scent. Early summer I put acid fertilizer on Mary Mag. and her scent went away. I had to scrape off the acid, and watered her with my alkaline tap water, pH of 8, to get her fabulous frankincense back.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I can see why you love it, the blooms are delightful. What's the pink rose in the background in the second pic?

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Very nice! I've always thought Valancia was such a beautiful rose, but I'm afraid it would be too tender here in the ground (I'm assuming you grow yours potted??) Also, unfortunetly, I don't have the best luck with HTs in general...I'm so jealous of your pics!!!!

Tammy

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Strawberry Hill - that's interesting. I grow mine in potted soil and add vermicompost and tea (worm that is). I have no idea if that would be acidic???

Krista - I knew someone would ask me that!! I can't remember - it was before I used name tags, and before I knew what I was doing with overwintering them. So it might be one that died over winter. Now I have 100% success rate. I think it might be Betty White

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I'm not sure what rose it is. But Betty White is an amazing rose too!!! Tons of gorgeous blooms. I always want to have these two roses.

Thanks, Tammy!! Yes, I grow mine in pots and overwinter them in my 3 car garage (two cars inside). I have 43 roses, but can fit up to 50 roses. I'm getting more this year!!! If I didn't grow them in pots, my selection would be vastly different, and I LOVE hybrid teas!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

That's yummy, Carol!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Seil!!
    Betty White (not sure if that's the one you meant) has really, really good scent. Ahhhhh.
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Love your Valencia! One of my favorites also--but I don't remember one way or another whether it is fragrant.

Tammy, you ought to be able to grow Valencia in your Zone 7. I grow it, in the ground, in my Zone 6 Kansas--no special protection in the winter although sometimes some of my neighbor's oak leaves get blown around some of my roses.

Valencia is a bit slow on the re-bloom here in Kansas (I don't know why), but when it blooms, I forgive it its tardiness--in fact, I can no longer remember it was ever tardy. The blooms last for a loooong time.

Kate

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe the cooler weather here helps - rebloom is fast. One of the best roses there is IMHO. :)
    We get hail about 3 times in the summer each year and Valencia never gets bothered by the hail.
    Carol

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

Glad I have one on order for the spring - can't wait to get it after seeing these photos!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah!!! The substance of the petals is fantastic. Everyone who sees it here falls in love with it.
    Carol