Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

some from this Halloween week

These guys were all out there waiting to go, "Boo!" in the bushes as I was out putting straw on them for the winter. Have a look. The first one is Duet Supreme.

The next one is Carding Mill.

The next one shows a little workhorse Charlotte Anne. It just took off and never looked back. It is a nice one. It is in with some other small plants, but it became the largest of them.

This hybrid perpetual, Fisher Holmes, just blooms all season. I just find that it is a battle to keep the blackspot off of it, but it is still spitting out a few flowers.

If any rose could look more cheery and sunny than this one, it would certainly be worth looking at. This little Happy Child is for an unknown reason an especially cheery little guy even though I have plenty of other yellows. Maybe it is because it is a surprise to see a flower on it because it just doesn't grow or bloom that much.

The next one is rather rare, but its fragrance is quite pronounced, High Esteem.

Of course we have to have a few bright oranges to light the garden. Kordes' Brilliant is such a good candidate to put all those maple trees on notice that they do not have exclusive rights to orange.

I have more than one of the next one, Lavaglut. It is a toss-up in my garden as to which is the better red, this one or Lili Marleen. Both put on a good show.

The next one could have been called Flame Thrower because of its color. It is very close to Evelyn Fison in color and on the red side of orange by about one or two shades redder than Kordes' Brilliant. This one is Light My Fire, a rose I hope someone out there will pick up and offer if J&P goes under because it is a real bloom machine for me. A walkway lined with this rose would be a traffic-stopper.

The next one is a piece of the only Noisette rose I have, Mary Washington. It hangs in there and keeps going, but sometimes the flowers get to looking ratty and not very picture-worthy.

{{gwi:290145}}

The next one is one of those roses that really comes out in the fall. It goes through seasonal color variations, but it really shines in fall. This rose is Sunsation, aka Veldfire.

The last two are the same flower taken several days apart. This variety is Summer Song. It is usually more tangerine or coral in the spring and summer. It took on the more rusty orange this time in the cooler fall weather, but the camera doesn't catch the shade very well. It does smell good.

This next one is just a few days later. Like so many of the Austins, the color bleaches out. It does like the Tea Clipper rose and turns a sour color. The camera just does not pick up the subtlety of the shade of funeral parlor pallor coral pink it turns, but it has a graying and fading to it that I don't care for. When it is fresh, it is quite pretty in its own way and would blend well with golds and yellows.

I hope you like these and find them interesting.

Comments (9)