Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My formal rose bed

Posted by mariannese 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 5:43

My garden is generally quite informal with roses mixed with other shrubs, small trees, bulbs and perennials. But near the back of the house is an oldfashioned box edged bed with only floribundas and polyanthas and bare soil between them, in homage to my husband's grandmother, a gardening teacher trained in Berlin in 1910.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My formal rose bed

That is very interesting, mariannese. I've never seen a formal arrangement like that in real life except in a large public garden. I like it. How much upkeep do the hedges require? I imagine they must be trimmed often to keep that neat look. Which floribundas are planted there?

Thanks for sharing.

Kate

o

Must have taken a "few" years to achieve such a perfect box hedge.

o

The hedges are 15 years old and took 10 years to grow to this height. It's a dwarf variety of box and won't get much taller. My husband clips them only once a year at the end of June. The roses have been a much greater problem, I hardly remember all the varieties I have tried and some quadrants are still not as full as I could wish because of replant disease. My idea was for this bed to look like a fruit tart from the upstairs balcony. The whites are Iceberg and Irene of Denmark, the pinks are Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels, the pale yellows are Jan Spek and the ambers are Amber Queen and Bernstein Rose. There is a sprinkling of odd pink roses among the Nathalies, survivals from previous plantings like Gruss an Aachen, Radiance, Lambert Closse and a few nameless roses. The only underplanting is bulbs in early spring. The best rose by far has been the McGredy floribunda Jan Spek.

o

Marianne, this is a very lovely formal garden bed! I can just admire the beautiful box wood hedge. It goes so well with the roses. Thanks for sharing!

Christina

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 17:18

That's really lovely, Marianne!

o

I like formal planting more and more as I get older. I feel a natural style blends in with the landcape more and that's what I have, but something about a formal garden is elegant and restful. I have a few little tiny Japanese themed areas that approach formality. I love your pretty jewel in the lawn.

o

Just beautiful. And the more natural plantings behind the formal garden make a lovely backdrop. Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here