Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

Not Barden's Marianne, but what is it?

mariannese
11 years ago

A rose from Rogue Valley Roses that should have been Paul Barden's Marianne but it isn't. Does anyone recognize it? I had ordered three Marianne but got one correct and two of these pink ones. I sent the photo to RVR as soon as it bloomed last year but had no comments. It's a good rose so I'd like to know its name.

Comments (7)

• jaxondel
    11 years ago

Mariannese -- What's the approximate diameter of the blooms? Also, is that a bit of moss I detect on the small bud at the left of the photo?

• mariannese
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the blooms are about 4 inches, perhaps a bit more, and slightly mossy. Do you have an idea what it might be?

• jaxondel
    11 years ago

My idea of what your rose may be is sheer speculation, but 'Mousseline' is the variety that came immediately to mind when I saw your photo. I hesitated to suggest that identity on my earlier post because HMF does not list Rogue Valley as a supplier of 'Mousseline'.

Later, when perusing the RVR site, I found that that nursery does sell 'Alfred de Dalmas' and indicates that 'Mousseline' is an alternate name. The two are actually distinct (altho very similar) roses that have become confused in commerce. It's my hunch that the RVR plant is actually 'Mousseline', not AdD.

Check the photos under both names at HMF. The photos of 'Mousseline' should be especially helpful -- excellent representations of mossing on the buds, color shading, mature hips, etc. Whatever it is, your mystery rose is lovely . . . Best wishes on your quest to ID it!

• User
    11 years ago

That is Austin's 'Mary Rose', I bet.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I purchased my 'Alfred de Dalmas' from RVR, but it doesn't look like your plant, unfortunetly. Here are a couple of photes of my 'Alfred de Dalmas' from RVR ...

Tammy

{{gwi:1292347}}

{{gwi:1292349}}

• mariannese
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Alfred de Dalmas and it looks like yours so I'll trust Paul for the time being. I need to give my rose a bit more time to see how it develops.

• c_fraserchurchill
    7 years ago

Ha! I have the same plant. Very vigorous, nice leaves, some, but not all of the roses have funny ruffled, scalloped petals that look like they have been cut with pinking shears. When I bought it, about five years ago Paul Barden was a new Rose breeder and I feel like maybe this is the graft rose. Another I bought, Incantation, did not appear as expected. Initially I didn't really like the very pale pink flowers, but it has performed well and is healthy so I'm loathe to remove it. Did you ever get any response elsewhere?