Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Love Song

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

A picture of Love Song taken in mid-September. I am very impressed with this rose, Every time it bloomed it got better. I love the color!

Comments (24)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh, what a delicate shade of lilac/lavender--love it, Sara.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Nice rose sara! :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

That is just superb, Sara-Ann, with its delicate shading and ruffly petals. I have been wanting this rose for quite a while, but needed to see what a forum member had to say about it, and your rose exceeds my expectations (I just need a little more space!). Please give us more photos and details about Love Song. Thanks for posting this photo. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Diane I have a couple of more pictures I will post. I remember Seil commenting on Love Song, I believe she has it and I think she was pleased with it also. This first picture was also taken in September. It does seem to repeat fairly quickly, at least it did for me.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this one was taken in early October. I'm trying to find one with a partially open bloom..

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another look.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Sara-Ann. What a big and lovely October bloom she had, much better than most of my roses. I am impressed. Diane

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Oh...Sara_ANn, love your pictures!!!!! I got this rose this year and I loved it. I did not take one single picture and I don`t know why! This rose was a great addition to my garden and I have high hopes for next year. Lesley

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Your top picture bit me and said "buy me".

How can you go wrong with a Carruth rose! It has Stainless Steel and Memorial Day (plus others) in its background. What a pretty result.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms Sara-Ann. I love the delicate looking buds in the first photo.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh, one of its parents is Memorial Day. Interesting. I love MD.

Does Love Song have a gorgeous fragrance like MD?

Your pictures are soooo lovely. I agree with Beth and iris_gal - just love that first pictures. WOW!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again everyone. I like the first photo best too. Lesley, I remember now that you had mentioned having Love Song. Iris_gal I am beginning to get a pretty good idea that Carruth roses are good. Besides Love Song, others I have of his are Drop Dead Red, Ch-Ching, and Mellow Yellow and I love them all. Years ago, I think in the early 90's I had a sweet little pink floribunda that was just wonderful, I've tried to find out where I could get it again, but I don't know if it is still available, found out recently it is a Carruth rose too, it must have been one of his first. Carol, Memorial Day is one I've been wanting to try too. Right now there are too many light pinks I want, I can't get them all. The fact that it is fragrant though, really appeals to me. This year I did detect a little fragrance from Love Song, but not much yet, maybe later on it will become more fragrant, that does happen.

• inga007
    10 years ago

Lovely blooms, to enjoy with my morning coffee.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Great photos! I really loved my Love Song too. Bloomed like mad all summer!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I love Carruth roses, too. You can't get any better than Julia Child (I have two)--a world class rose. I have three Ebb Tide roses, Twilight Zone, Wild Blue Yonder, Memorial Day, and two new minis, Diamond Eyes, which hasn't got much press. Here's a pic of Diamond Eyes at a couple of months old. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Inga and Seil. Diane - Diamond Eyes is very striking. I have ordered two Julia Child roses for next year. I have thought about all 3 that you mentioned, Ebb Tide, Twilight Zone and Wild Blue Yonder, but haven't decided yet.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Your photo of Lovesong with many blooms looks like it was grown by a professional. Wow! What a beautiful bush! Is that on own root or grafted?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kousa, that's a real compliment. I have 2 Love Songs and they are both grafted, probably on Dr. Huey.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

sara-ann, I saw Twilight Zone at Zaino's Nursery in Westbury Long Island (zone 7a) in September & it was more of a magenta color than purple. I too am looking for a purple rose that looks like the color in the catalog. It's possible TZ's color changed later in the fall but when I saw it, the color definitely was not purple. Just keep that in mind.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My Twilight Zone has blooms that are definitely purple, not magenta. I also have three Ebb Tide roses. The problem with Ebb Tide is that it fades terribly in the heat and sun of our hot summers. Wild Blue Yonder's blooms are lovely in spring and fall, but are of poorer quality and more magenta in summer. Here's Twilight Zone.
    Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Now here's Ebb Tide showing fading. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Finally, here's Wild Blue Yonder in the spring looking good (before hot weather sets in). Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Diane - All three roses look lovely. A little bit of purple will go a long ways with me and your Twilight Zone is definitely purple. Rose colors are ever changing anyway. To me that is one of the fun and fascinating things about roses, you never know exactly what color is going to show through the most and I do believe the temperature plays a major role in that. I can't wait to see how the purple looks with some of the other roses. I do appreciate your input and suggestions so much, you are always very helpful.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz