Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Roses in the Snow

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

Winter must be coming--here's the first snow of the year in my yard. Doesn't seem to have bothered the left-over roses in bloom much though, does it.

Corner of my backyard:

Let's see your "first snow" pictures also.

Kate

Comments (12)

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful. I love the look of roses in the snow.

The pics are not snow pics, but some frosty blooms...

{{gwi:321262}}

{{gwi:321261}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It looks like you dusted with powdered sugar! Lovely!

What is you pretty pink bloom, Krista?

We haven't had any snow yet but they said we could get some today maybe. We haven't really even had a hard frost yet and some of my roses are still opening, but very slowly. Part of me wishes it would get colder and snow so the roses would go dormant and I could get the winterizing done. But the other part of me loves the fact that I still have a few roses left to enjoy and knows that once they're gone it's gonna be a long, dark, gray, cold time before I see them again....

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Very pretty picture! Yes, winter is coming and we must be ready!! It looks like your garden is just beautiful. Hope to see more pictures of the whole garden this coming spring! Lesley

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Seil, thank you; the pics are of Eglantyne.

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kate--This snow pic happened in 2008 in march so I took a pic of snow we only get once or twice a year in Lizella, Ga.--Ron

">

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Kate, your garden looks like something out of a fairytale! Beautiful!

Krista, your bloom looks like its frowning at the cold temperatures! :(

Ron & Susan, I love how well organized your garden looks! Thats the look I'm trying to go for: everything in organized rows!

~Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ron, I like the mysterious twilight quality of your pic. But all those roses--why haven't you been showing us pictures of your garden?

Krista, your poor pink bloom looks like it is suffering more than my snow covered roses.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Hope to see pics of your snowy gardens also.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

{{gwi:317216}}

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Wow, gorgeous snow photos everyone! Eluane's getting all excited seeing all these snowflakes. She says screw the roses, Snow Is So Much More Fun, haha!

Everything looks fairytale pretty, folks!

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kate--I retired in 2009 and set out to redo our rose bed you see in my pic. I am building every spring a raised bed "Just one at a time out of concrete block 88" wide and 30 ft. long)to equal 4 raised beds when I am finished. I will be working on bed #4 this spring and will send pics when the job is done.--Ron --PS--Here are two shots of our garden 41/2 years ago.
    This first pic is of our garden looking at them from the back of the house.

">
    This next pic is from the back of the garden to the house.
    ">

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Quite a difference from that snow covered pic!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a lot of healthy looking roses! Very impressive. The raised beds should look good when finished--and be easier to take care of. It's the bending over that has been slowing me down more and more in recent years.

Kate