Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

Roses and dianthus

Krista_5NY
12 years ago

I have a fondness for dianthus in the garden, although it's not as much of an obsession as the roses are...

The pics are from years ago, summer pics.

Mme Pierre Oger in the background.

{{gwi:248958}}

Jadis in the foreground.

{{gwi:248960}}

Mme Pierre Oger

Dianthus

Comments (12)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

I love some of the dianthus too. They look super pretty together with your roses which look beautiful!! Judy

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I love dianthus too! It's fairly winter hardy for me so that's a bonus. I have several planted in the ground and in some of my rose pots as well. Great pictures, Krista!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Your Mme Pierre Oger combined with pink Dianthus is absolutely charming. Great combination!

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Very pretty! My one garden has some very large Dianthus...they actually need to be cut back alittle they've grown so much! They're also such low maintenance plants, which is nice.

Every time I see pics of your Mme Pierre Oger I love it! I'm just afraid of the balling and BS associated with her...but yours is just beautiful! You're no-spray right?

~Tammy

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, to all.

Tammy, yes, my garden is no- spray, I don't use fungicides.

Mme Pierre Oger does get blackspot late in the season. It drops its leaves in hot summer weather. But repeat bloom is rapid, rain and cool weather help to bring on repeat bloom. The fragrance is wonderful.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Soooo, beautiful Krista!!!!! I love, love, looooove, your pinks and how romantic they are! I call your garden a Ballerina Garden. I get nothing but drab bleached-to-white pinks which drives me crazy....And the fact that you can get rebloom with your antiques is so fabulous and goes to show how happy they are in your garden. Mine thumb their nose at me, lol! Lazy, lumpy gardeners do not fit their lovely stage performance as in your garden....And I can just imagine all the wonderful fragrance, Krista!

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Serena. The roses are indeed quite fragrant, they perfume the front yard. They are wonderful in peak bloom.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

It seems like the perfect companion plant to your roses, Krista, and they have a fragrance of their own. I tried some but I don't think they're overly fond of hot, dry summers. Yours are obviously very happy.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I think you could be right, Ingrid, because I do notice that mine stop blooming a lot of times in July and August here when it's hottest and driest. But they put on a lovely show in in the spring and fall!

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

Yes, I do like the fragrance of the dianthus, kind of a clove type of scent.

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

The dianthus are a beautiful complement to your roses! I also am a fan of dianthus and, although they don't bloom during our long, hot summers, they are champions during fall, winter and spring in my garden.

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

Jardineratx, that must be wonderful to see them in bloom for three seasons.