Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Nostalgic for the past season's roses

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

I was all eager to spend a lovely autumn day finishing repainting my front porch, but when I got up today, it was chilly and rainy out there! So I decided to browse my photo album a bit--I miss my roses! Here are some garden shots and singles for you to enjoy also, I hope.

Elle (HT) looks so charming here--a bit of bright red Dublin Bay climber showing on the right.

{{gwi:350361}}

Here's four lovely pinks in a cluster--starting on the left, Austin's Mayflower, Cora Stubbs peony, floribunda Our Lady of Guadalupe, and behind it, Austin's Mortimer Sackler.

{{gwi:328592}}

Here's one I'm going to miss--Love & Peace (HT). For some strange reason, it really declined after its big spring bloom, and given that it is prone to BS at the end of each cycle, I ruthlessly spaded it--but I will certainly miss its beautiful blooms.

{{gwi:328024}}

But I still have this beauty to drool over: Chrysler Imperial (HT):

{{gwi:304870}}

This is my Perfume Path--all the really good smelly ones, including the Double Delight you see in front there, are placed along that path:

{{gwi:258634}}

Three of my favorites: That 3 Molineux (Austin) planted close together on the right, plus the vivid blue/purple larkspur that grows back wild each year and the new lilies called Silken Road. I liked them so well that I ordered 3 more to plant in there also.

{{gwi:228926}}

I'll miss this one--Golden Showers climber that I've been growing for years. Fell victim to RRD this summer--alas!

{{gwi:208904}}

I love my bright red Braveheart shrub--with my favorite climber--Dublin Bay, of course, in the background:

{{gwi:228928}}

I have often bragged about my 7 darling minis called Sweet Diana, but it just occurred to me that I rarely show them. Well, here they are.

How's this for big, fat, and gorgeous? Peter Mayle (HT)--I have several of him and am crazy about this show-off!

I lost my beloved Buff Beauty during the long, drought-ridden, oven-hot summer. Bout broke my heart, but I already have an order in for its replacement to (hopefully) sprawl along the back fence like its predecessor did:

{{gwi:207538}}

Let's end the nostalgic tour with some other kinds of beauties also--columbine and iris from last spring.

Hope you enjoyed the tour as much as I did. Unfortunately, it is still chilly and rainy outside!

Kate

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I meant to post a couple more. Here they are:

Double Knock Out, mixed in with other flowers, can be most attractive--even if its individual flowers don't bear up well to close inspection. I like it with the white lilies and the bright yellow Black-eyed Susans.

{{gwi:228924}}

And last, but not least, my Fairy rose keeping by fairy statue company in the garden:

Kate

• northtexasdude
    11 years ago

beautiful!

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

So beautiful, love the Peter Mayle and all the blooms!

I really like the larkspur and lilies with the roses.

• amberroses
    11 years ago

I like how you mixed the roses with the other plants. No wonder you miss them.

• inga007
    11 years ago

What a refreshing morning, to find this post of your
    lovely garden. Chrysler Imperial looks stunning.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your garden is really lovely, Kate!

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Geautiful and inspiring on this cold winter day.

Chrysler Imperial - I have that one - not that good here. Just a few blooms a year. And NO SCENT!!! Mine are very red; but I love the pink of yours better. My CI is really not worth keeping. What do you think of yours?

I love your Peter Mayle! Mine has maybe 2 or 3 blooms a year. Another one that just doesn't do all that well here. But the scent is really nice. What do you think of yours?

Gosh do I ever love your Love and Peace. What gorgeous colors!!!

I love your columbines!! They are sooooo beautiful!!

I have Elle too. Mine has no fragrance. Does yours??

Golden Showers is amazing!!! What a show!!
    Thanks!
    Carol

• jktx55
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate for sharing your beautiful pictures. I will defintely order the Love & Peace after seeing yours.
    jack

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Canadian Rose:
    I love my Chrysler Imperial, but it isn't the most vigorous plant and it doesn't re-bloom as quickly as I'd like, but it is lovely when it does bloom. Yes, mine has fragrance. To me the color in the picture is red, not pink, but in some weather, the red is a much deeper, darker red--very velvety-looking.

I'm not sure why your roses don't have fragrance. My Peter Mayle has a strong fragrance, and Elle has a medium strong fragrance. I'm no good at describing fragrances, however.

Yes, both Golden Showers and Love & Peace put on a lovely show and I will miss both. Both had some BS problems, though not real heavy BS. I was so sad when Golden Showers got RRD, but after I took it out, I realized that corner of the garden had become much too crammed and now the other plants could spread out and do their thing, so I haven't replaced it--but I really miss it!

Love & Peace had such gorgeous blooms but it was always the first rose in my garden to get BS and I'm trying to get rid of such roses, so out it went. Hard to do, however. I'm replacing it with Berolina (yellow) that is supposed to be very disease-resistance. I hope so. However, some people don't seem to have BS problems with Love & Peace, so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Kate

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Thanks for this lovely tour-----Your gardens are lovely----
    Since I don't garden much anymore I'm really I'm grateful for my pictures

Florence

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Probably the cooler weather. I have many roses that have fantastic fragrance - which makes it curious why some don't. Probably never know why.
    Yeah, it's better to go with the roses which are easier to care for. You probably get more enjoyment out of them.
    At any rate, your roses are GORGEOUS!!
    cAROL

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Florence, I'm glad my roses/gardens brought you pleasure. I still remember pictures of you "survival of the fittest" garden, as you called it. Such lovely roses surviving in it and I loved viewing them.

Kate

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    11 years ago

Thank-you Kate. Lovely garden.
    I love your perfume path and all the various pink plants against the white wall.
    And Molineux with the larkspurs and that gorgeous lily!!!!
    I covet that lily!!
    Daisy

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor