Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nostalgic for the past season's roses

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:06

I was all eager to spend a lovely autumn day finishing repainting my front porch, but when I got up today, it was chilly and rainy out there! So I decided to browse my photo album a bit--I miss my roses! Here are some garden shots and singles for you to enjoy also, I hope.

Elle (HT) looks so charming here--a bit of bright red Dublin Bay climber showing on the right.
Elle (Hybrid Tea) 2012

Here's four lovely pinks in a cluster--starting on the left, Austin's Mayflower, Cora Stubbs peony, floribunda Our Lady of Guadalupe, and behind it, Austin's Mortimer Sackler.
Four pink beauties (lft-rgt): Mayflower (David Austin rose), Cora Stubbs peony, Our Lady of Guadalupe (floribunda rose), Mortimer Sackler (David Austin rose--background) 2012

Here's one I'm going to miss--Love & Peace (HT). For some strange reason, it really declined after its big spring bloom, and given that it is prone to BS at the end of each cycle, I ruthlessly spaded it--but I will certainly miss its beautiful blooms.
Love & Peace (Hybrid Tea) 2012

But I still have this beauty to drool over: Chrysler Imperial (HT):
Chrysler Imperial (ht)

This is my Perfume Path--all the really good smelly ones, including the Double Delight you see in front there, are placed along that path:
Photobucket

Three of my favorites: That 3 Molineux (Austin) planted close together on the right, plus the vivid blue/purple larkspur that grows back wild each year and the new lilies called Silken Road. I liked them so well that I ordered 3 more to plant in there also.
Photobucket

I'll miss this one--Golden Showers climber that I've been growing for years. Fell victim to RRD this summer--alas!
Photobucket

I love my bright red Braveheart shrub--with my favorite climber--Dublin Bay, of course, in the background:
Braveheart shrub (Clements), foreground, Dublin Bay climber, background, 2012

I have often bragged about my 7 darling minis called Sweet Diana, but it just occurred to me that I rarely show them. Well, here they are.
Photobucket

How's this for big, fat, and gorgeous? Peter Mayle (HT)--I have several of him and am crazy about this show-off!
Peter Mayle (Hybrid Tea) 2012

I lost my beloved Buff Beauty during the long, drought-ridden, oven-hot summer. Bout broke my heart, but I already have an order in for its replacement to (hopefully) sprawl along the back fence like its predecessor did:
Buff Beauty (Hybrid Musk rose) 2012

Let's end the nostalgic tour with some other kinds of beauties also--columbine and iris from last spring.
McKenna Columbine, foreground, and Iris, background, 2012

Hope you enjoyed the tour as much as I did. Unfortunately, it is still chilly and rainy outside!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Oops--here's some more

I meant to post a couple more. Here they are:

Double Knock Out, mixed in with other flowers, can be most attractive--even if its individual flowers don't bear up well to close inspection. I like it with the white lilies and the bright yellow Black-eyed Susans.

Summer lilies, Double Knock Out Rose, and yellow Black-eyed Susans 2012

And last, but not least, my Fairy rose keeping by fairy statue company in the garden:
'The Fairy' next to fairy statue--5/12

Kate

o
RE: Nostalgic for the past season's roses

beautiful!

o

So beautiful, love the Peter Mayle and all the blooms!

I really like the larkspur and lilies with the roses.

o

I like how you mixed the roses with the other plants. No wonder you miss them.

o

What a refreshing morning, to find this post of your
lovely garden. Chrysler Imperial looks stunning.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 11:58

Your garden is really lovely, Kate!

o

Geautiful and inspiring on this cold winter day.

Chrysler Imperial - I have that one - not that good here. Just a few blooms a year. And NO SCENT!!! Mine are very red; but I love the pink of yours better. My CI is really not worth keeping. What do you think of yours?

I love your Peter Mayle! Mine has maybe 2 or 3 blooms a year. Another one that just doesn't do all that well here. But the scent is really nice. What do you think of yours?

Gosh do I ever love your Love and Peace. What gorgeous colors!!!

I love your columbines!! They are sooooo beautiful!!

I have Elle too. Mine has no fragrance. Does yours??

Golden Showers is amazing!!! What a show!!
Thanks!
Carol

o

Thanks Kate for sharing your beautiful pictures. I will defintely order the Love & Peace after seeing yours.
jack

o

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Canadian Rose:
I love my Chrysler Imperial, but it isn't the most vigorous plant and it doesn't re-bloom as quickly as I'd like, but it is lovely when it does bloom. Yes, mine has fragrance. To me the color in the picture is red, not pink, but in some weather, the red is a much deeper, darker red--very velvety-looking.

I'm not sure why your roses don't have fragrance. My Peter Mayle has a strong fragrance, and Elle has a medium strong fragrance. I'm no good at describing fragrances, however.

Yes, both Golden Showers and Love & Peace put on a lovely show and I will miss both. Both had some BS problems, though not real heavy BS. I was so sad when Golden Showers got RRD, but after I took it out, I realized that corner of the garden had become much too crammed and now the other plants could spread out and do their thing, so I haven't replaced it--but I really miss it!

Love & Peace had such gorgeous blooms but it was always the first rose in my garden to get BS and I'm trying to get rid of such roses, so out it went. Hard to do, however. I'm replacing it with Berolina (yellow) that is supposed to be very disease-resistance. I hope so. However, some people don't seem to have BS problems with Love & Peace, so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Kate

o

Thanks for this lovely tour-----Your gardens are lovely----
Since I don't garden much anymore I'm really I'm grateful for my pictures

Florence

o

Probably the cooler weather. I have many roses that have fantastic fragrance - which makes it curious why some don't. Probably never know why.
Yeah, it's better to go with the roses which are easier to care for. You probably get more enjoyment out of them.
At any rate, your roses are GORGEOUS!!
cAROL

o

Florence, I'm glad my roses/gardens brought you pleasure. I still remember pictures of you "survival of the fittest" garden, as you called it. Such lovely roses surviving in it and I loved viewing them.

Kate

o

Thank-you Kate. Lovely garden.
I love your perfume path and all the various pink plants against the white wall.
And Molineux with the larkspurs and that gorgeous lily!!!!
I covet that lily!!
Daisy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here