Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_z6b

Still get excited over first blooms.

jon_z6b
11 years ago

It's silly I know..

Only working with one seed parent, ATM- so these are all siblings.

Although I like the dark one, it's not my favorite. That became the dark pink one with the recurved petals- after I found it to be fragrant.

Comments (9)

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Jon, the dark red color is amazing!
    Sorry, what is ATM? Is it the name of the parent?
    Fragrance is a plus, always! :)
    Marina

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

They are exciting, thanks for sharing.

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(ATM-At The Moment)
    The seed parent is Knockout x Oklahoma.

The red seedlings could be OP or x Black Magic or x Black Madonna. One does have reflexed petals so it's probably from Black Madonna- It's red but not dark.
    (Those aren't what I'm really looking for but are just what I had. Sometime in the future I would like to try Black Lady and Charles Mallerin.)

The pink one has to be from x Fragrant Memory; It definitely has the fragrance.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Nothing silly about it! I still always get a thrill when the first bloom opens on my seedlings. I know it may change considerably by the second bloom but who cares. It's the first one and it's special!

You have some very pretty ones there and a nice range of reds!

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I cannot wait for the day where I get to see that sight from my hand. Now Seil, you made a statement I'd like to understand: "I know it may change considerably by the second bloom but who cares". Are you saying first bloom isn't necessarily indicative of the blooms this new little rose will produce? Please explain.

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Very cool! Isn't it fun? I've done OP seedlings twice in the last 4yrs. Most of the babies end up very similar to Mom. And yes Harmonyp, the blooms can be different with subsequent bloomings. I have one of my older seedlings that was from BROADWAY, and last yr it had light yellow blooms with a touch of pink at the edge. This season, the blooms were light yellow and pink striped. The mother plant is in a bed next to one of my stripey beds, so it must've got some pollen from maybe ROEDEAN or CANDY STRIPE or BANNER. Those are the closest to it. And often the first bloom will not have very many petals, and yet the next bloom will be very full. That's why I don't understand how the hybridizers can choose which ones to keep and which ones to toss based on the first bloom.

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't resist showing a second bloom..

• g-in-fl
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, Jon! I had no idea that seedlings would bloom so young. The most recent photo is just lovely. I am starting to think that growing from seed is worth the bother. It has to be very exciting to see those first blooms (and second)!
    Guess I'm off to research exactly how to do it. I saw some hips on a couple of my plants.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Gracin

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!!!! Love that last picture. The red with the black is very nice. The leaves look teal!! Do you have any names picked out? I would call the last one black flamenco.
    Carol

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm