Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

good-bye and bon voyage to 2011's roses

Another growing season has basically come to an end. This year we wave good-bye to some of our flowers, some of which are still blooming. I also must wave good-bye to a number of friends and acquaintances I knew who passed away this year including two close friends. With that, we say good-bye to some, only this year they will be boarding Ozark-Eastern Airlines flight 2011 going to Forever with intermediate stops in Hawaii and Tahiti, both tropical interesting places where snowbirds could spend the winter. Let us have a look at some of the passengers.

The first passenger we see is Barbara Streisand. After a rough start in spring with lots of weather and bug damage, many roses took most of the season to get to looking normal. But, here she is looking a bit better, but a little on the shy side as she peeks out of the leaves.

Our next one is a new-to-me climber, Bright Fire. Its best color is in cool weather.

The next one, obviously headed for the first-class section, is Chantilly Lace, one that I have come to really like.

{{gwi:322340}}

The next one was one I wasn't sure about when I got it, but once it got going, it put on quite a show all summer, Cinco de Mayo.

The next one really took a beating in flower quality until late in the season, but it can be spectacular even though it looks like a camellia and grows to be a huge bush. It is Elegant Fairy Tale.

The next one usually struggles to get through our winter. Yet, it can have some nice, showable flowers. This one is O'Rilla.

The next one is one that is not often seen much any more, but it was an AARS winner, and I like it when it looks good. This one is Seashell.

The next one, an Austin rose, is one not seen much either, but it sure gets some nice flowers. Seen here with a friend, is Sir Edward Elgar, composer of music including "Pomp and Circumstance" frequently used in school graduations.

The next one is one of the most unusual roses I have. It is a single grandiflora that curls its petals in cool weather. This one is Windmill. I wish I had room for several of it.

What happened to one poor passenger after being stopped for extra scrutiny by airport security:

Here comes the last passenger running down the hallway at the last call for boarding, Sunsation.

We see the door to the cabin is now closed. The jetway is being rolled away, and the tug car is pushing the jet back. I must wave good-bye to some of my friends on their way to Forever.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Ozark-Eastern Airlines flight 2011 with service to Honolulu and continuing on to Tahiti and Forever. As we prepare for take-off, please make sure you have your seatbacks and tray tables in their upright and locked position and all your personal items are stowed. Also please turn off all electronic devices at this time....."

Comments (7)

• serenasyh
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

lol,Bustopher, we're still in Hawaii zone right now in Kansas City! whaddya mean Bon Voyage, haha! I'm not expecting to say Bon Voyage until December... We're too warm over here and my roses and your roses ain't nowhere done yet!

But hilarious post anyway, we are enjoying your "Opening Night" performance (versus Finale), lol! Plus the great pics! My favorite is O'Rilla and Sunsation. Next year I'm getting Royal Dane which should resemble Sunsation (it's also an orange/yellow bicolor)

• inga007
    12 years ago

Loved the photos.
    My faves being the fiery oranges of course.
    Most are new to me.
    Thanks. Farewell!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

These are all B U T ful, bustopher! And I love your naration! So nice to see O'Rilla again. I lost mine to winter here. I have to say your roses look much healthier than mine do right now. But then we've had some frost and they've started dropping their leaves here already. Love, love the color of both Bright Fire and Sunsation! Thanks and have a great flight!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Like serena, my Kansas roses are hanging around for at least a few more weeks--but then I'm practically in Oklahoma, so probably a bit warmer here.

Really enjoyed your pics--especially Sensation. I love yellow reverses on reddish type roses. If it quits raining here soon and my Gypsy Carnival isn't too soggy, I must take a pic and show off its yellow reverses. (I'm trying to make up to it for almost spading it--several times--in the past couple years!)

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

lol...love the airplane comentary! I still have some roses that missed the dormency plane as well, but most have flown south for the winter already :)

btw: love Bright Fire and the visiting praying mantis on the other rose :) so cute! I also added Cinco de Mayo this year, and its been a great performer! Went non-stop all season!

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Very lovely roses... thinking about Hawaii makes me want to visit there...

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Beautiful roses.