Blooms of Fall

amberroses
11 years ago

Munstead Wood

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Comments (16)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

What a beautiful garden, great pics and blooms. Thanks for sharing.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Yours all still look so nice! That's one thing I do miss about living in Florida! Although, I never grew roses for the 18 years I lived there lol. I'm sure yours will be blooming away while the rest of us just look on in envy :)

Tammy

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Your Munstead Wood is AMAZING!!!! I thought it was a red rose. I love that purple!!!!

What's the name of that beautiful pink rose (last picture)?

Wow!
    Carol

• amberroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. My roses are just starting to look good again. Here it is reversed from eveywhere else. In the summer the flowers are small and lighter in color, and the bush is infested with chilli thrips blackspot and semi-dormant from the heat. My Neptune rose actually died this summer. I think it was boiled alive from the heat and rain.

The color of Munstead in the photo is pretty accurate. It is darker, larger, and fuller than it was a few weeks ago. It was never what I would think of as red like Abraham Lincoln or Don Juan.

The last two pictures are Queen of Sweden. The blooms sit on top of the stems like little lollipops. My camara doesn't like light colors so it washed out the flowers in the long shot. I'm so happy about the total lack of blackspot or chilli thrip damage on the leaves. For now.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Really!! What a lovely, lovely color. I just love bright colors for roses.

As to Queen of Swede, funny I didn't recognize it as I have that one. LOL

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Your Munstead Wood is gorgeous, I agree. Is the second photo of the rose with wine centered, lighter purple outer petals also MW? It looks a lot like my Young Lycidas. Queen of Sweden is so subtly lovely. Diane

• amberroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the fourth photo is Young Lycidas. They look somewhat similar I think. They're not the same color, but have the same "character" maybe?

canadian_rose- The climates of Canada and Florida probably have different effects on the look of the roses. It's good that you already own the one you liked though :) Queen of Sweden is a beautiful rose.

• inga007
    11 years ago

What a lovely surprise, to see your roses and papaya's.
    From now on I will be looking forward to postings like yours, though we still have a few hardy roses hanging in there in Toronto, it's a few degrees above freezing, but the great lakes are still so warm, that we are promised "lake effect" snow flurries, but thankfully the wind has become calmer.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lovely, amberoses, wish I could smell them all!

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Amberoses - it is my youngest daughter's favorite rose. It has a defnite cup and saucer look here. And don't you love the smell? What is the smell anyway - is it myrrh? I hated the smell of Distant Drums, and I think, that's myrrh. But I love the smell of Queen of Sweden.

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

They are all lovely, but I'm especially excited over your Munstead Wood. Just gorgeous. I have one ordered for spring--can't wait to see it now!

Kate

• amberroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the scent of Queen of Sweeden. It smells a little like Heritage to me. Maybe the myrrh is mixed with other nice smells.

Munstead did really well its first year. I grew it in a pot with good air circulation and lots of filtered shade. It didn't have as much trouble witht he blackspot or chilli thrips as most of my other roses. Maybe I was lucky.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Munstead - how big does yours get? Is it massive or tiny? Such a lovely rose. Does it get a lot of blooms?
    Carol

• amberroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol, I presume you're in Canada? I'm in Florida, so the different climates may yield different results. I've had Munstead for one year in a big pot. It is a medium sized ball shape. It did bloom a lot. The blooms were not as full in the summer, but that would be less of an issue for you.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Well, if you can grow it in a pot, I certainly can here where it's much cooler.

Gorgeous rose. I just love it. Thanks for sharing!

• jktx55
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pics.
    jack