Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Hey, my roses are still blooming!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

Although my gardens definitely have the bedraggled end-of-the-year look to them, I still have a fair number of roses blooming--not heavily, but still blooming. Here's a sampling:

Mayflower--wish her blooms would be this large earlier in the season also. Her fall shade of pink is darker than usual also. Austin rose.

{{gwi:288163}}

Another Mayflower--I do like her autumn look--more dramatic than her springtime look.

Gypsy Carnival--I couldn't get a good picture -- the reds kept bleeding. I love yellow reverses like Gypsy Carnival has, but they don't show up that well in this picture. Can you see the brace I had to add for her weak neck? Hybrid tea.

Jubilee Celebration--another weak necker--see the brace? Otherwise, this Austin is one of the loveliest roses in my garden--very photogenic.

Eutin--I keep telling posters about how Eutin blooms in large showy clusters. Well, you can see a typical clusters here. And for once the red did not bleed. Kordes floribunda.

Lady of Guadalupe--this floribunda is very floriferous most of the time. Love her light-colored reverses.

Lady of Guadalupe again--gives you a look at the bush--stays neatly at about 2.5 x 2.5.

Molineux--not the best picture, but that is the only bloom on the bush--kinda hiding down there in the middle. Guess it doesn't like the colder weather. That is the yellowest I've ever seen it.

{{gwi:1294833}}

Mystic Beauty--my new favorite. Weak necks again--see the braces? But a beauty all right! Bourbon rose.

{{gwi:208906}}

Green Ice--here's one of the greatest little minis ever--kinda spreading. In cooler weather, the white blooms pick up a faint green color. I think I managed to capture a bit of that in this picture.

Earth Song--not the best picture--and not the best formed blooms, but she is trying hard to keep on blooming despite the cold, so give her credit for that!

Sweet Diana--another great mini. I have seven of them.

{{gwi:309005}}

Braveheart--this Clements shrub blooms so dramatically. I really like it.

{{gwi:345474}}

Double Delight plus larkspur--not the greatest picture, but I just had to show you my purple-blue larkspur. Why it is blooming now, I have no idea. It normally blooms in May and June.

Pansies--love these little faces looking up so cheerfully at anyone passing by. More people should plant them in the fall. Mine usually survive the winter and begin blooming again in very early spring. What they can't survive is our HOT, HOT, HOT July-August sun--which is why I have to plant them every fall.

{{gwi:322324}}

Hope you enjoyed the pics. It was fun fussing over the roses brave enough to keep on blooming in my garden with winter approaching.

Kate

Comments (8)