Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstrong

Rare Rose Auction by California Coastal Rose Society

kstrong
13 years ago

I just thought I'd stop by and invite all of you to my rose society's rare rose auction. If you can come to Carlsbad in person, that would be great. If not, you can still participate by putting in a bid or two through the internet. This year, for the first time, we will be shipping roses (within the USA only), at our cost. Most of them are in 1 or 2 gallon containers. And we will hold roses until spring for all you cold zoners. This may be your one and only chance to get some of these roses -- they are not generally roses that are available through any commercial source in the U.S. The website with instructions for internet bidding is www.ccrsauction.com . The actual auction will be held on Sunday, November 14, 2010. If you bid through the internet, bids are due no later than noon on Saturday, November 13, 2010.

And here are some photos of a few of the 200 plus roses to be auctioned. The rest are listed on the website in 2 separate lists -- one for the Silent Auction and one for the Live Auction.

Maggie -- a found rose that would prefer to be a peony -- it grows tall (7+ feet and blooms heavily).

Peachy Cheeks -- a delightful floribunda from the same seed parent as Gemini (Anne Morrow Lindbergh). I think this variety may be available from K&M on Fortuniana rootstock, but if you want own root, this auction is the only source for this rose.

Ladybug: yep, that's a polka-dotted rose. This is a newly opened bloom -- the white parts turn pink on exposure to sun. It grows as a small floribunda -- 2 feet high max. Not available in commerce anywhere, which is a shame because it's such a cutie and so different from any other rose on the market.

Hi Ho -- a Ralph Moore mini climber.

Hondo -- some of you may know of John Sheldon and his goal to create phototropic roses -- this is one of his most phototropic success stories. The rose starts yellow and then as parts of the petals are exposed to the sun, the exposed parts turn pink. It's a fairly large hybrid tea.

Pompeii -- I know some of you are addicted to bicolors, so I threw this one in. Another hybrid tea.

Patriot Kordana: And I know others of you are addicted to stripes -- a mini.

So . . .come one, come all and I hope to see you there. Everyone is welcome to join us. Or, put in an internet bid, and we'll mail you your plant either now or in the spring at our cost.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Auction website main page

Comments (15)

• hartwood
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You are an evil, EVIL enabler, Kathy! I guess I'll forgive you just this ONCE, because it's a fundraiser auction. Bid high, and bid often, folks ... just not on my roses. :)

Connie

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yahaha -- and which roses would those be, Connie?

More:

Phantom: (I just succeeded in finding cuttings of this one myself, and I donated the extra plant that started from the second cutting I received to the auction -- it is the brightest red you've ever seen on a rose, and makes dense clusters of single blooms with bright yellow stamens that are gorgeous -- it's actually my favorite new rose for the year. It's a great plant if you are a rose exhibitor too -- wins in the shrub spray class whenever it's entered. Grows to around 4 feet tall. This is the first bloom off of my plant -- it bloomed yesterday.)

Or how about Takao?

Happy bidding,
    Kathy

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    There's one here that is WAY too tempting. Free shipping huh? Oh no! I guess I missed it. Oh well, I got to enjoy your beautiful pictures. Since it's too late to bid, I might as well tell you I would have bid on 'Maggie.' Hope your auction is a success.
    Thank you,
    Kitty

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Kitty, she didn't mean FREE shipping. It's shipping at the actual cost that they have to pay. No added on handling charges, etc. The winner does have to pay for shipping.

Well, I missed out on bidding. Got busy and forgot. But for all of you who did bid, GOOD LUCK and I hope you manage to get the ones you wanted!! There are some great roses on those lists.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Kathy ~
    Thank you for the notice. It was a little too late for me to be able to participate, sorry to say, and there were a couple of roses on the list that I had recently ordered elsewhere for spring.
    Let us know how it went! I hope it was a great sucess. Maybe next time will be better timing for me. (I hope).
    The lists with the links are very useful, though. I am enjoying looking through them. They are the stuff winter day dreams are made of!
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well then look for us next year -- same time, same place. We had a few internet bidders, but mostly it was locals, and, as expected, we had more roses than bidders. So there were some great deals to be had.

I was "bottom fishing," (i.e. searching for those rarities that didn't get much bidding attention from anyone else) and ended up spending only a total of $80 for ten roses, all for interesting varieties that are mostly new to me. But now I have them and will post photos as they bloom. I got roses that run the gamut:

Ain't She Sweet -- Joe Winchel's hot pink hybrid tea from the same line that produced the rose "Dolly Parton."
    Beauty Within -- a new J & P yellow floribunda. introduction that won "best floribunda" at the International Rose Trial at Rose Hills just last month.
    Bukavu -- a Louis Lens hybrid musk that has been winning at rose shows recently.
    Honorine de Brabant -- a striped OGR bourbon for my stripey collection.
    Merveille des Rouges -- a red polyantha.
    New Orleans -- a brand new shrub introduction from Heirlooms this year that I'm excited about.
    Robert Clements -- an Heirlooms old classic that has many good reports, but I've never seen this orange shrub in person. Schubert -- a mauve shrub that grows like a polyantha
    Summer Fashion -- a pastel yellow and pink floribunda I used to grow and remember liking.
    Vif Eclat -- a red hybrid musk, which I bought because hybrid musks are usually pink and white, so this seemed very unusual.

Again, I'll post pics when I have them of these, and we hope to see you next year.

Btw, Connie was correct -- we don't ship for free, but rather at "our cost," which mean you pay for shipping, but only the actual cost of postage and supplies, nothing for our labor and no markups of any kind.

Kathy

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, not Connie -- I meant to say Beth was right about the shipping.

• snowheather
    13 years ago

I bid on three, but only got one - Coachella. That is a good thing, as I really have no room. But, I still wish I had gotten that adorable Ladybug!

Thanks for letting us know about the auction and enjoy your interesting acquisitions!

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just because it's interesting, I thought I'd let you all know the prices that the roses pictured above went for -- some really good deals there, and also some that attracted a lot of competition from folks who really wanted THAT rose.
    Maggie: $14
    Peachy Cheeks: $15
    Ladybug: $62
    HiHo: $6
    Hondo: $15
    Pompeii: $27
    Patriot Kordana: $20
    Phantom: $57
    Takao: $20.

The highest price rose in the whole auction was Pink Lemonade at $100, and the lowest price rose was The Gift at $4, which actually is a very nice rose. So . . .there's just no predicting these prices.

Kathy

• hartwood
    13 years ago

As a follow up, I bid on 5 roses, and I got 4 of them.

Darling Jenny
    Mary Ann
    Star Delight
    Moore's Last Stripe

I'm so excited!!! Kathy is baby-sitting these for me and she'll ship them in the spring. I'm afraid California roses would not take kindly to being sent to Virginia in November.

Connie

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Wow! $100 for PINK LEMONADE? Yikes. That was the main one I would've bid on had I gotten around to doing so. Cliff has it and I asked him if he'd propagate it for me. He wasn't sure if he'd get to it now because he had a few days of frost and wasn't sure if the cuttings would be viable now. So hopefully he can do it in the spring, maybe. How much did QUICKSILVER go for? That would've been my other choice.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quicksilver: $75. Lots of folks collect Christensen roses, it seems and they're hard to get.

• azurerose
    13 years ago

What did Stranger go for? That's the one I really wanted!

Don't feel too bad regarding Ladybug. I bought that when it originally came out. First off, the canes are dripping with thorns. It's a real hazard should you walk by with a skirt. Second, the thing was a rust and mildew magnet! Sometimes there would be no foliage at all because of the rust and mildew -- all you were left with was those thorny canes! Yes, the blooms were kind of cool, but on the small side. In the end, I traded it with someone on this forum for Tom Brown. Tom Brown is fantastic--great fragrance, form and color-- so it was a good deal for me. In fact, the person contacted me a few months later and wanted to get Tom Brown back. No way! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Roses.com Blog

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I donated the Stranger plant, which I grew with a rooter pot from my original, and it went for $90, so I was pleased. Stranger is a very cool rose, but a bear to root -- you almost have to use rooter pots -- won't root otherwise for me.

Now, about that Tom Brown . . . .

• azurerose
    13 years ago

Well Kathy, I live in OC too. You're welcome to come take a few cuttings of Tom Brown. And, well, if you get another Stranger plant to root, I'd be happy to make some sort of donation to your rose society. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Roses.com