Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Been a crazy day... Xmas lites, kitty cat & roses...

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

Sunday is my only day off, and I really had intended to get out and do some deadheading and yard cleanup today. But, instead I got all involved in putting up Xmas lights. I know it's a bit early, but the weather is so nice for this time of yr, I just wanted to get the lights done before it starts raining again.

I haven't done lights in yrs, other than in the window, and decorating inside the house. This yr however, I am not going to put up a tree or do a whole lot of decorating inside. My son got a new cat, who is really still pretty much a kitten, and she's a royal pain in the butt!! I love cats (and her of course) but she is a little busy body who has to get into EVERYTHING! Has to be right there in your face, seeing what you're doing. She gets up high on top of things and loves to knock things down. Plus she likes to chew on everything. She's a real weirdo. So, I have to forego any idea of indoor Xmas decorating, this yr.

I need to figure out how to get the pics so they're not out of focus, but just wanted to throw these in. These are all LED lights, and the icicle ones have a 5-minute light show!

{{gwi:1295282}}

{{gwi:1295283}}

Here's the little devil kitty LOLA:

{{gwi:1295284}}

and here she is trying to play with Daddy's iguana (note his stance with tail ready to slap her at any moment):

{{gwi:1295285}}

Anyway, while I was out doing the lights on this beautiful and unusually warm day, I noticed quite a few roses still blooming. So had to go get some pics once I got done with the decorating.

ALMOST SUNSET

{{gwi:1295286}}

FIRST ENTERPRISE - do I need to deadhead... or what??

{{gwi:1295287}}

HEAVEN ON EARTH

{{gwi:1295288}}

LADY LIKE

{{gwi:1295289}}

MELODY PARFUMEE

{{gwi:1295290}}

POCAHONTAS

{{gwi:1295291}}

POLO CLUB BUD

{{gwi:1295292}}

SAMARITAN - looking a little weird...

{{gwi:1295293}}

SOLITAIRE

{{gwi:1295294}}

TEQUILA SUNSET - surprised me with this one... it doesn't bloom very often

{{gwi:1295295}}

Comments (16)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics!

How lucky you are to live where you have so much bloom this late in the season!

I think Heaven on Earth is my favorite.

Miss Lola is beautiful, but look at that expression in the first photo;
    you can just *tell* she's a pistol!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Yes, must be nice to still have blooms. lol
    Your late season roses look great!
    Your cat has neat color markings!
    Starting to feel a lot like Christmas. I like the pics of
    your Christmas lights also.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I agree, that cat has a definite look that says "What can I get into next?". She must be very entertaining (when she's not exasperating you). You went all out on the outside Christmas decorations, so the lack on the inside won't matter much. It looks very festive!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Good display! We too are finally getting summer.

Keep us posted on the kitty-iguana saga!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Christmas lights and roses at the same time-----that would be very unusual here in the northeast---

Roses are beautiful------

Florence

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

I just read my post again and wanted to add---I love your Christmas lights---in fact I love everything about Christmas

You always have the most beautiful roses ----thanks for sharing

Florence

• hartwood
    13 years ago

We have two new kitties this year, and we were just commenting on how 'interesting' Xmas decorating is going to be. We have decided to break out the plastic and fabric ornaments that we used when our grandson was a baby ... the plastic ones look like glass, but they're unbreakable. We're taking bets on which kitten makes it to the top of the Xmas tree first. :)

I always love the background of your pics. This time I see an ATV, a wheelbarrow, and rows of pots! Your roses are beautiful, as always.

Hope the iguana taught the kitten a good lesson. Kittens need a LOT of teaching.

Connie

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sylvia! If the deer stay away I could still have a few odd blooms here and there up til New Yr's. So hopefully I'll be posting some more throughout the next few weeks. Yeah, I think I caught her true persona in that pic!! "Pistol" is the mildest word I can think of for this little stinker!

Thanks Jim, Ingrid and Irisgal!!

Thank you Florence. I love Christmas too, but it tends to get to be too much anymore. I used to love to decorate inside, but our house is so small, and with my older son moved back in, everything is so cramped. And little Miss Lola and her two buddies (we have two other cats) just get into everything, so it's just not worth the hassle. That's why I concentrated on the outside. And I know it's a bit early to put up the lights, but I'm glad we did it, because it's going to start raining this weekend and possible snow just a few miles above us. And I'm beginning to see a few houses around town lighting up too. I love it!

Connie, TWO new kitties?? We almost adopted another one last week. One of the employees at a shop across from my craft shop came over looking for someone to take this adorable white and grey fluffy kitten. But I was good and resisted! I love those plastic ornaments. I have lots of them, but I just know they'd be all over the house! Our other female cat Ginger has a huge collection of toys all over the place. We're constantly stepping on them or kicking them around. Sometimes she collects them all under the dining room table, or under my computer desk. She cracks me up. I love cats! Oh, and Lola has been smacked a few times by the iguana. She just keeps going up and messing with him anyway tho. And, that ATV.... I could just "kill" my husband. He's a garbageman, and he drives me crazy with all the "good" crap he brings home. The ATV was given to him by one of his customers. It isn't running right now. It'll sit there for the next several yrs til I make him give it away to someone else. Just like the old engine-less Camaro he had sitting in the upper part of the backyard for 4-5yrs. I finally had my son put it on the free list on Craig's list, and some guy came the next day with a lift and took it away! Now that spot is where my main pot ghetto is!!!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

My favs are Almost Sunset, Ladylike and First Enterprise. Almost Sunset. Almost Sunset and Ladylike look like they have great substance. Beautiful!

Carol

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

Oh Beth. Your christmas lights are just gorgeous,I have never seen any like them here. Your cat is gorgeous, too.I love cats, and I have 2 of them.I have been thinking rather I will mess with a xmas tree this year, too.Am up in age now, and the statin drugs I was on to lower cholesterol has about done me in.I refused to take any more of them,and if I had known about the side effects of them, would never had took the first pill.I stay in so much pain now in my thighs, till most of the time, walking is almost out of the question, but,I dont give up anyway.Your roses are so pretty.Thank you for sharing your roses and decorations.

Jean

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Your Melody Parfumee appears to have a good, strong color. Mine is still blooming also. That variety does smell good. From what the weather people are saying, this week will be it.

Your new kitty looks just like one that used to roam around the neighborhood I live in. I know that Christmas is coming, but I have not put up a tree in years because with three cats in the house, you know what they will do with a tree. The thought of a house hockey game with the ornaments casts a shadow over all of this. Also, just wait until you have a cat that figures out how much mischief can be accomplished in the bathroom with rolls of toilet paper. It can be aggravating, but it is also comical. As always, thanks for posting.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Carol.

Jean, I'm so sorry to hear about your discomfort. My mom has been on a popular statin drug for many yrs, and I'm convinced that's the root of all her bodily pains. But the doctors won't believe it. She's 92 and can barely walk. She's always in pain. They need to come up with something better than these stupid pills.

Bustopher... that little bratty cat is driving me nuts. She's into everything! She jumped up on my shelf above the kitchen window where I have lots of breakable chickens and roosters. I barely managed to get her down before she could break anything. And toilet paper??? Her older buddy Ginger is the one who unrolls the TP. If I let her stay in the bathroom when I'm taking a shower, she ALWAYS unrolls like half the roll!! Lola likes to sit on the tub in between the clear plastic shower curtain and the fabric one. She watches me take a shower and then tries to claw at the plastic curtain. Needless to say, I don't allow either of them in anymore.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Beth just back for another peek at your cheerful lights--

sorry to hear about your mom----I've been taking Crestor for some time now----so far so good-----

Jean --good to see you posting----I know about pain and I feel sorry that you are suffering----
    Gardening is very difficult and mine looks a mess but I do enjoy the few blooms that seem to survive all the neglect.

Beth thanks again for the Christmas lights-

Florence

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

hahaha,I had to come back and look at these gorgeous lights again, too, AND the roses.
    Sorry about your Mother Beth.I agree,I am sure its the statin drugs causing most of her pain. I done ok, when Drs had me on 40mg zocor, then he raised it to 80 mgs,and thats what did it for me.Took me a while to learn thats what was causing such pain,and I went to hunting everything I could find on that drug,and found it is not suppose to be given to no one over 60 yrs old.I found that out on the manufactor's website.
    Florence, You are lucky if you are taking crestor and not in some serious pain with it.My Oldest daughter was put on it,and shes in terrible pain with it.I tell her to stop taking it, but her Dr keeps telling her she has to take it.

Jean

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

I have a question about your Melodee Parfume. Mine had about 2 roses all summer. It's a new rose; so I was wondering if your more seasoned rose has done any better? Plus we had a pretty cold, rainy summer.
    Thanks,
    Carol

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh it'll do great once it gets established. Mine gets big flushes of 10-20 blooms & buds several times a yr. It grows to about 4 1/2ft x 2 1/2ft.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations