Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

the end of the line for this year

I'm afraid we have reached the end of the line for this year. Here are a few of what was still blooming up until Thanksgiving when it froze hard. The first is DA's rose The Shepherdess.

With warm, fall colors and a warm-sounding name to help fend off thoughts of shoveling future snow and dealing with ice storms, power outages, and other such winter pleasures here in tornado alley, I present a trio of Tropical Amazones, a rose that did well its first year.

One of the top show roses in the country was still trying to make it this late. Here is the last of Moonstone.

My last one is one that has struggled to make a recovery after that bad Easter freeze of three years ago. It is coming along. It has also made a name for itself on the rose show circuits. As we say goodbye to this year's flowers, hopefully we won't have to say goodbye to someone who was responsible for bringing this and others to market, namely Dr. Keith Zary from J&P. So, as a small tribute to Dr. Zary, we sign off this year with Signature.

I hope you can like these.

Comments (10)

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

They're all beautiful! Love that TROPICAL AMAZONE. It's a great rose. I just lost my SIGNATURE this yr. It gave up the battle of competing with the suckers the dang rootstock would send up. I just ordered a new one from Regans. Hopefully it will be a better plant. Thanks for sharing the last blooms!

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

bustopher, your roses are looking great! I think they gave you a lovely good bye for this season!

I especially like The Shepherdess and Moonstone. I haven't heard much about The Shepherdess, so I am curious to know how is The Shepherdess doing for you (repeat, disease resistance, vigor, and anything else you think is important to know about this rose)?

Special thanks for posting photos of the roses with the bushes they are growing on to see. That gives a so much better idea about the overall look of a rose!

Christina

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Shepherdess was slow to start, but once it got going in its pot it came along reasonably well. It flowered several times, but it is slower to repeat flower than some of the others. However, this is just its first year. Next year it will be its first year in the ground. It does have a light fragrance. It seemed to be healthy enough in that it wasn't having disease problems with my regular spraying. The color is variable. It is a little more pink in the fall as shown in the picture. Usually it is more cream to light apricot like French Lace and Perdita. As of the first year, it does not appear to be a large bush, but neither did Carding Mill until it got planted in the ground and started growing. Ultimately Carding Mill grew cylindrically to be between 5.5 and 6 ft tall, but not sprawly. Time will tell with these. I hope it will do well; it is pretty. If it stays short like Happy Child, so much the better.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

bustopher, thanks for the info on Shepherdess! Sound like a great rose. David Austin has bred so many outstanding roses, I would love to grow them all, but of course I can't, sigh...

Christina

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

They all look great bustopher!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Love Tropical Amazone. Did you get yours from Cliff? I like bold colors so Signature is another beauty. Kind of sad when the roses finally are over for the year. But personally, I need the rest-LOL....Maryl

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys for the comments. I did get the Tropical Amazone, along with a bunch of others, from Cliff's Eurodesert Roses. I just hope it will make it through our consistently inconsistent winter weather.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Enjoyed your photos muchly. Moonstone looks as tho I could reach into the computer screen and pick it.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Tropical Amazone and Moonstone are my favs. Moonstone sure looks like it has lots of petals. Very pretty form.

Thanks for the look.
    Carol

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Lovely! Looking at Moonstone, I can now see why roses in cartoons (such as Alice in Wonderland) are drawn like a spiral.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES