Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eglantyne - 2 pics

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 4:33

I thought long and hard before I decided against Eglantyne in favor of Evelyn. Eglantyne stays a manageable size in my friend's garden and puts out whopping blooms that resemble a peony.

Eglantyne - Austin'84
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eglantyne - 2 pics

Eglantyne is also one of my favourites. What are the perennials you associate with it ? Malva ?
The silver foliage is also a good idea of association with light pink roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Bit of Paradise

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 9:30

Iris gal, that's just beautiful!!

o

iris girl, I love the form and color of Eglantyne. The second shot is simply stunning!

I agree with Isabelle the silver foliage goes very well with this rose. Great combination of plants! Could you tell me what the name is of the plant with the silver foliage? Thanks!

Christina

o

Beautiful pictures! I wonder what the purple plant is in the background of the first shot...

Masha

o

It looks like this rose might be growing in part sun. Is this correct? The pictures are just yummy and if this rose can take a little shade, I have the perfect place for it. Thanks for the pictures. Lesley

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 14:05

very nice!

o

Thank you for the nice comments!

The grey leafed plant is the common Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria) that is sold in pony pacs. It grows very quickly and needs cutting back periodically for the foliage to be of the proper height to flatter the rose.

In the first picture a wisteria has grown madly and is casting more shade these 2 years past. Too much for good bloom! I don't think this rose is a candidate for shade :-(

Campanula medium (cup and saucer) in the top picture between Eglantyne and Our Lady of Guadalupe (who is getting a proper amount of sun).

Isobelle ~ she's never grown Malva. There are several Salvias, a marguerite bush, statice, rose campion (Lychnis), daylilies and whatever annuals strike her fancy. She's always trying new things so from one year to the next it's a surprise. The prettiest spring annual with the pink roses is Cineraria stellata. Impossible to find in nurseries here. Excellent re-seeder.

o

Outstanding photography and a lovely rose. Thanks for sharing.
Harold

o

Those are awesome roses!! My kind of heaven!!!

Thanks for the shots!! I love the variety of colors in the 1st shot, but the 2nd shot is just as nice!!

Carol

o

Iris Gal, great photos ! I am curious why you decieded against this rose ?

o

Iris Gal, thanks for letting me know about the name of the gray leafed companion plant plus the additional cultivation tip. I guess sooner or later Dusty Miller will move into my yard, too ;-)! I think it will go very well with some of my pink roses.

Christina

o

RoseMeadow --- I badly wanted a button-eyed rose. For my limited space Eglantyne made more sense but the pictures of Evelyn finally swayed me. I knew I'd be disappointed by using photos as a criteria and I'd replace her with Eglantyne. Instead I'm in love. Doesn't matter she's not a bloom machine. And I'm willing to live with any octopus growth.

Christina ~ you'll enjoy the carefreeness of Dusty Miller. I'm hoping a 4' hybrid will be developed! Such a soft cute plant grows to 6' in a couple of years here. And then the yellow bloom disrupts my pastel color scheme :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here