Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

Eglantyne - 2 pics

iris_gal
14 years ago

I thought long and hard before I decided against Eglantyne in favor of Evelyn. Eglantyne stays a manageable size in my friend's garden and puts out whopping blooms that resemble a peony.

Eglantyne - Austin'84

Comments (12)

• isabelleolikier
    14 years ago

Eglantyne is also one of my favourites. What are the perennials you associate with it ? Malva ?
    The silver foliage is also a good idea of association with light pink roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Bit of Paradise

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

Iris gal, that's just beautiful!!

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

iris girl, I love the form and color of Eglantyne. The second shot is simply stunning!

I agree with Isabelle the silver foliage goes very well with this rose. Great combination of plants! Could you tell me what the name is of the plant with the silver foliage? Thanks!

Christina

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I wonder what the purple plant is in the background of the first shot...

Masha

• lesmc
    14 years ago

It looks like this rose might be growing in part sun. Is this correct? The pictures are just yummy and if this rose can take a little shade, I have the perfect place for it. Thanks for the pictures. Lesley

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments!

The grey leafed plant is the common Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria) that is sold in pony pacs. It grows very quickly and needs cutting back periodically for the foliage to be of the proper height to flatter the rose.

In the first picture a wisteria has grown madly and is casting more shade these 2 years past. Too much for good bloom! I don't think this rose is a candidate for shade :-(

Campanula medium (cup and saucer) in the top picture between Eglantyne and Our Lady of Guadalupe (who is getting a proper amount of sun).

Isobelle ~ she's never grown Malva. There are several Salvias, a marguerite bush, statice, rose campion (Lychnis), daylilies and whatever annuals strike her fancy. She's always trying new things so from one year to the next it's a surprise. The prettiest spring annual with the pink roses is Cineraria stellata. Impossible to find in nurseries here. Excellent re-seeder.

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Outstanding photography and a lovely rose. Thanks for sharing.
    Harold

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Those are awesome roses!! My kind of heaven!!!

Thanks for the shots!! I love the variety of colors in the 1st shot, but the 2nd shot is just as nice!!

Carol

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Iris Gal, great photos ! I am curious why you decieded against this rose ?

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Iris Gal, thanks for letting me know about the name of the gray leafed companion plant plus the additional cultivation tip. I guess sooner or later Dusty Miller will move into my yard, too ;-)! I think it will go very well with some of my pink roses.

Christina

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

RoseMeadow --- I badly wanted a button-eyed rose. For my limited space Eglantyne made more sense but the pictures of Evelyn finally swayed me. I knew I'd be disappointed by using photos as a criteria and I'd replace her with Eglantyne. Instead I'm in love. Doesn't matter she's not a bloom machine. And I'm willing to live with any octopus growth.

Christina ~ you'll enjoy the carefreeness of Dusty Miller. I'm hoping a 4' hybrid will be developed! Such a soft cute plant grows to 6' in a couple of years here. And then the yellow bloom disrupts my pastel color scheme :-)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath