Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Fall Rose Foliage

TNY78
12 years ago

Well, I guess this really will be must last post his year. All of my roses have stopped producing, and their leaves are slowing falling to the ground. I just wanted to share a few pics of their fall foliage that I took today...

~Tammy

Father Hugo: I really like the look of his foliage during the summer, but I really LOVE the way it looks in the fall!

A great big hip on Rose du Roi a Fleurs Pourpres

Louis Philpe did not get the memo that winter is here. He's the last rose that has a possibility for one last bloom

Soupert et Notting that I received this week from Pickering along with 9 others...now to get some mulch today! ...although a little concerned, its canes don't look as "mossy" as my other moss roses.

Hansa

Cancan: Just a baby right now, but with its beautiful fall purple, I can't wait for this one when it gets bigger!

Ballerina with it's delicate hips

Jeremiah Pink: I love my albas throughout the year!

Lastly, Rayon Butterflies (aka: Kim Rupert's Single Seedling): This petit little china gets such pretty colors in the fall & throughout the summer...Thanks Kim!!

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I've never really looked for fall color on my roses. I'll have to remember to do that next fall.

If you're interested in a fun rose hobby to do over the winter cut those nice ripe hips and take out the seeds and grow them! There's a ton of info on here in the propagation forum on how to do it but it isn't hard, costs very little in supplies and is lots of fun! Keeps me sane through the winter!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll have to try it Seil! I bet there would be some interesting (hopefully beautiful) seedlings :) I would really like to see what the Rose du Roi sport would produce! ...and Ballerina might be interesting to see, but its hips are sooo tiny!!

My goal next spring is to learn to propagate from cuttings. I tried it a couple of times this year with a ziploc baggie and nothing took. I also just tried sticking them in potting mix in the shade and some budded, but later died. I'll have to try it with some differnt types of roses that root easier too.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I'm amazed at all the colorful foliage in the fall on your roses. Mine don't do that at all. Is it your climate that somehow brings out the reds/purples shades? Or is it just the variety of rose--some being more inclined that way in the cooler autumn weather? I would love it if my roses would pick up some of those autumn hues.

Kate

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, I'm not sure if there is any rhyme or reason in which roses produce fall color for me. Up until this year I only had about 50 roses (then this season came the 150 rose BOOM! I'm exhausted from all the digging!!) But, in general my 4 rugosa varieties seem to produce nice fall foliage, with Hansa leading the pack. With the rest of them, its just hit or miss. Jeremiah Pink has been beautiful for the past 3-4 years that I've had him, but my other albas do nothing unfortunetly. My most colorful tend to be Father Hugo (absolute favorite!), Ramblin Red, and modern gallica Rook...and it looks like Cancan will also be beatiful in the fall when its larger :)
    ~Tammy

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Lovely bud pic of Louis Philipe.

That's a nice looking plant from Pickering. Seeing your pic makes me look forward to spring planting.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Do give it a try, Tammy! Even though those hips are tiny they should have seeds in them. Just an FYI, they will produce seedlings. Each one will be a brand new variety of rose and not a sport. Sports are genetic mutations on an existing and growing plant. Seedlings are a whole new mix of genes depending on what pollen was used in the pollination. Although less likely, even self pollinated hips can produce some wide variations but more generally will look very much like the parent plant. If you'd like a copy of my pdf on how I do mine send me a PM with your email address and I'll get it out to you!

Cuttings are always iffy so don't beat yourself up about it. With practice and experimentation you get better at it but I don't think anyone can say theirs take 100% of the time. Sometimes it has to do with the material your working with.