Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grambu

I want to replace roses in pots!

grambu
10 years ago

Hello to fellow rose growers. I moved to San Jose 5 years ago with about 8 roses in pots. Last year they just did not look so good, so I have just decided to dig them out of the pots and replace them with new ones. I love the look and smell of austins and yet the floribundas just make me smile. I love all colors, not many thorns, mildew resistant, as well as vase beautiful. I am a senior living in a condo with 2 patio porches. All suggestions appreciated! Thanks in advance---Judith

Comments (10)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I don't know how well these do in pots . . . . but members have praised them:
    Disneyland - colorful orng/peach/rose blend
    Grand Prize - lovely pale pink/softest yellow blend
    Lavaglut - red, loves heat
    Living Easy - gorgeous tangerine color here (200 miles south of you), indestructible

These mini floras have been highly praised:
    Amy Grant - lovely pale pink
    Chihuly - yel/orng blend with stripes
    Gingerbread Man - amber blend, 5 stars
    Heather Sproul - lt. pink

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Grambu, have you posted this on the rose discussion? They're more active than this gallery right now.

• rosynut
    10 years ago

I would just take them out of the pots, trim roots a bit and then re-pot them in the same pot with new potting soil. Wait for winter though when the roses are dormant.

• grambu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for above advice. Rosynut, since I am a senior I have become more impatient and don't want to cut back roots and wait. These roses will be a gift to myself. I am just ready for a change and looking for recommendations from others. judith

• rosynut
    10 years ago

I am also a senior (69) and you don't even have to cut back roots just tidy up a bit - I have 110 roses in pots and I re-pot them every year all by myself - all of them and they are thriving with this treatment - give one or two a try and see how they do next season. Edgar Degas - a climber in a pot

• grambu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your response. Growing roses just puts a smile on my face and a wee bit of order in my life!
    enjoy your day. Judith

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Roseynut - I've been growing roses in pots for 4 years, and this year I'm going to root prune some of them for the first time.

This is what I'm going to do. Can you tell me if this is what I should do? Is it too much? Not enough? Thanks! :)

1. Take roses out of pots.
    2. Any roots that are curling around the pot or sticking out too far - cut.
    3. Keep as much dirt on the root ball as possible. - or should I get rid of the dirt and put totally fresh dirt in.
    4. Put back in pot.

Thanks. :)
    Carol

• rosynut
    10 years ago

Just trim roots that are broken or sticking out too long and wont fit in pot keep rootball if possible and fill pot with new compost and replant fertilize only after rose is growing well

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Rosynut, I'm impressed and would like to pot up one planted in an unbecoming spot. How deep are your pots? TIA

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks so much rosynut!!!!
    Carol