Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to replace roses in pots!

Posted by grambu none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 14:16

Hello to fellow rose growers. I moved to San Jose 5 years ago with about 8 roses in pots. Last year they just did not look so good, so I have just decided to dig them out of the pots and replace them with new ones. I love the look and smell of austins and yet the floribundas just make me smile. I love all colors, not many thorns, mildew resistant, as well as vase beautiful. I am a senior living in a condo with 2 patio porches. All suggestions appreciated! Thanks in advance---Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to replace roses in pots!

I don't know how well these do in pots . . . . but members have praised them:
Disneyland - colorful orng/peach/rose blend
Grand Prize - lovely pale pink/softest yellow blend
Lavaglut - red, loves heat
Living Easy - gorgeous tangerine color here (200 miles south of you), indestructible

These mini floras have been highly praised:
Amy Grant - lovely pale pink
Chihuly - yel/orng blend with stripes
Gingerbread Man - amber blend, 5 stars
Heather Sproul - lt. pink

o
RE: floribs for pots

Grambu, have you posted this on the rose discussion? They're more active than this gallery right now.

o

I would just take them out of the pots, trim roots a bit and then re-pot them in the same pot with new potting soil. Wait for winter though when the roses are dormant.

o

Thanks for above advice. Rosynut, since I am a senior I have become more impatient and don't want to cut back roots and wait. These roses will be a gift to myself. I am just ready for a change and looking for recommendations from others. judith

o

I am also a senior (69) and you don't even have to cut back roots just tidy up a bit - I have 110 roses in pots and I re-pot them every year all by myself - all of them and they are thriving with this treatment - give one or two a try and see how they do next season. Edgar Degas - a climber in a pot

o

Thanks everyone for your response. Growing roses just puts a smile on my face and a wee bit of order in my life!
enjoy your day. Judith

o

Roseynut - I've been growing roses in pots for 4 years, and this year I'm going to root prune some of them for the first time.

This is what I'm going to do. Can you tell me if this is what I should do? Is it too much? Not enough? Thanks! :)

1. Take roses out of pots.
2. Any roots that are curling around the pot or sticking out too far - cut.
3. Keep as much dirt on the root ball as possible. - or should I get rid of the dirt and put totally fresh dirt in.
4. Put back in pot.

Thanks. :)
Carol

o

Just trim roots that are broken or sticking out too long and wont fit in pot keep rootball if possible and fill pot with new compost and replant fertilize only after rose is growing well

o

Rosynut, I'm impressed and would like to pot up one planted in an unbecoming spot. How deep are your pots? TIA

o

Thanks so much rosynut!!!!
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here