Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

I'm dreaming of white roses...

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

Thought I'd do some Christmas themed posts of rose pics from this past season. I'll start with the white ones. It's funny, with all the roses I have, I really don't have a whole lot of white ones, compared to other colors. But in looking thru these to decide which ones to post, I realized maybe there's a reason I don't go for the white ones so much. I don't spray (only because I don't have the time) and as you can see, the thrips really love the white roses!! Hard to find any pics with no thrips damage!

Ok, here we go.... and you guys feel free to add your white rose pics too!

ALBA MEDILAND - at least I think that's what this one is. I won it at a rose society raffle many yrs ago, and it was just called "white groundcover." It's a giant "octopus' that roots extremely easily on its own

{{gwi:1297163}}

AVALANCHE - florist ht

{{gwi:1297166}}

BRIDAL BLUSH - an interesting cream colored one I found at the Grocery Outlet store a few yrs ago

{{gwi:1297168}}

DR JOHN SNOW

{{gwi:1297170}}

FRAU KARL DRUSCHKI

{{gwi:1297172}}

GRAND PRIZE

{{gwi:1297173}}

HOME & FAMILY

{{gwi:1297174}}

JOSE CARRERAS - gotta be one of my favorite creams

{{gwi:1297175}}

MME HARDY - one of my handful of OGRs, the poor thing is kinda lost in the backyard along the fence... I need to move her

{{gwi:1297176}}

MT HOOD

{{gwi:1297177}}

SOMBREUIL CL - thought I'd show a yard shot from last May when lots of things were in bloom below it

{{gwi:1297178}}

TINEKE

{{gwi:1297179}}

VICTORIAN LACE

{{gwi:1297181}}

WHITE MASTERPIECE - this one's barely hanging on... it's been a one-cane wonder for about 6yrs now

{{gwi:1297183}}

WHITE SUCCESS

{{gwi:1297184}}

Comments (9)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

"I really don't have a whole lot of white ones."
    (scroll, scroll down some more, scroll scroll)

Hee hee hee.

Victorian Lace looks like its name. I love white roses. Thanks for posting them for Christmas. I just posted a photo of my white Banks/Fortuniana mix on the discussion side, so I'll hold off.
    Renee

• snowheather
    13 years ago

Those whites are so pristine and beautiful! Most of the time, my white roses are chomped on by something - usually thrips! So, that is why I don't grow many and it is nice to see yours. I think that is Alba Meidland, by the way, as I had it when I lived in Nashville. It definately was a yard eater, and thorny, too! Is yours thorny?

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Beth, I love white roses so seeing your post brought a lot of joy to me today!

My favorites are Alba Meidiland, Cl. Sombreuil (nice yard view, too!), Mme. Hardy and especially Jose Carreras. Can you let me know how Jose Carreras is doing for you (disease resistance, re-bloom, vigor, fragrance and anything else that you think is worth telling about this rose)?

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy looking at your rose photos!

Christina

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Renee... when you figure I have around 1700 or so roses, this is just a handful dontcha-think? LOL I didn't even post a pic of all the ones that bloomed that had ugly pics! Go ahead and add your white rose pics too!!

Snowheather... yes it's pretty darn thorny! I had to pull out a couple of the volunteers a few yrs ago, and even with thick leather gloves, the thorns went thru. The clusters make beautiful fillers in bouquets, and are really nice for bridal bouquets and arrangements.

Christina, JOSE is a really nice rose. Grows about 4ft high and maybe 3ft wide. As you might be able to tell in the pic, it can get some B/S. I don't recall it having much of a scent. The blooms last a pretty good long time.

• inga007
    13 years ago

Fabulous, what a collection.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Wow! 1700 roses! My fantasy dream land!
    White Masterpiece is picture perfect; I guess a Masterpiece is always rare. All your white roses look beautiful. I am glad to see the shot of SOMBREUIL, too. I think I am in too cold a climate to attempt it, though I have always thought I'd love it. Your photo confirms that!
    Not counting minis, I only have ONE white rose! (How's that for rose poverty?) I love it though. Prairie Star does well in our climate. I wonder if any of you have grown Margaret Merrill? I have heard it is very fragrant. I'd love to hear some real life stories about it. Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes Prairie Star is very white:

At others, more of a blushing bride:

Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Beth...I LOVE white roses!! Your collection is beautiful! I enjoyed each and every rose, but especially White Masterpiece and Jose! Thank you for sharing these beauties. Lesley

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I love white roses at Christmas. Don't think my Honor has ever been in bloom then.

Jose Carreras looks great!

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

I love your yard shot, such a bounty of blooms and everything looking so clean and perfect.

Masha