Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowheather

Still Blooming!

snowheather
13 years ago

We have had three freezes so far, but most of my roses have kept on going like the Energizer bunny! Hope there aren't too many images here;

The first one is one I was about to shovel prune, since I have had it for three years and it hardly ever bloomed. It wasn't in a very sunny place. So, this late summer, I put it in a pot and here is what it is doing now! Good thing I didn't SP it! But, it better start blooming more!

Here is STILE 800 when it first opened:

And, here it is today more than a week later, fully opened.

Here is the hybrid tea CALIFORNIA DREAMIN':

And, here is the hybrid tea MILVA:

Here is the shrub rose ROBERT CLEMENTS:

This is ESTELLE DE MEILLAND. It is a florist hybrid tea and I have been waiting for days for it to open more, but it has been very slow, like all florist roses. I wanted to show the light yellow-tan reverse, but it doesn't show up much here.

Here is the striped HT CABANA. It really likes the cool weather - which it doesn't experience a lot here!

Here is a wonderful single floribunda called FIELD OF DREAMS:

And, here's another wonderful floribunda and it has a great scent JULIO IGLESIAS:

Here's POPE JOHN PAUL II, in all it's splendor:

LOVESTRUCK is one of my favorite floribundas:

And, finally, ROUTE 66 just keeps on truckin'!

Comments (18)

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Wow! Love your photos, esp PJP and the sky. STILE 800 sounds luscious!
    Thx for sharing.
    Sandra

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Wow! Beautiful roses! ESTELLE is really hard to photograph accurately, like most of the rust colored ones. But your bloom is beautiful even if we can't see the real color. And don't you just love that FIELD OF DREAMS? I especially love it when it gets a few steaks or stripes on it. And that's a great shot of PJPII with that beautiful sky in the background!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Very impressive shots! I love the way cool weather gives rose blooms longer life. Thank you for adding comments.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses again, snowheather! Your roses all look so picture perfect!

Stile 800 seems to turn into a wonderful rose. I have never heard of it. You must be very happy that you didn't discard it.

Pope John Paul II is my favorite white rose and I grow it in my garden, too. I love your photo of it with the sky as a back ground.

Thanks for sharing your last beauties of this year!

Christina

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! STILE 800 is a Roses Barni rose I bought from Roses Unlimited. I also have two others from Roses Barni and they are slow getting adapted here, too. But, now I see that I have to be patient!

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Great picture of Pope John Paul II. Your roses look really nice.

Masha

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Wonderful rose pictures. We had our first really hard freeze a few weeks ago, so it's nice to see that you have some still going. I can't really pick out a picture I like the best as they are all so gorgeous. I've been looking at Robert Clements for years now, just didn't know how he would perform in our heat. Milva catches my eye as I'm on the search for the perfect orange blend cut flower. California Dreamin looks to be first rate too. The beauty is that there aren't any thrips around now to dispoil the blooms. Thanks for posting these beauties....Maryl

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maryl, I don't think your climate is hotter than here in North Texas, and ROBERT CLEMENTS seems to like it here. The only drawback is how long it takes to grow the tiny Heirloom bands. My MILVA is on fortuniana rootstock and blooms all the time. It needs regular spraying, though. CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' is a beauty and blooms a lot. It does not have exhibition centers all the time, but who cares? Yes, all of mine are doing fine with no bugs around. I took more pictures this morning, because we are getting a hard freeze and that should be that until spring! Now post some of yours to keep us dreaming of roses!

• liane_z4_canada
    13 years ago

We had to shovel 2 times today and once last night. The kids had a day off of school, it was an official snow day. My roses are so far under the snow. Seeing your pictures makes me want to move. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
    I think 3 of these might end up in my garden come spring.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Snowheather: I almost feel like I know you as my sister lives in the Dallas area and I used to come down and visit her all the time. She's not a gardener, but she took me around to various nurseries and gardens when I came down anyway. Yes, we are as hot as DFW, but just not for as long(although it seems long enough to me), about 3 weeks difference in when your spring starts and ours does. I don't want to butt into your beautiful thread with my roses, so here's one of my sister's "Exotic" cat (Exotic is a cross between a Persian and a short hair). His name is Pooh or Poohy:

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That kitten is adorable! I used to have a Scottish Fold and they are half British Short Hair, and I can see the resemblance in the cute face!

Maryl, and others, if you are in the Dallas area in spring or fall, come see my garden! I am President of the Dallas Rose Society and also a member of the Collin County Rose Society and am on their spring garden tour. Also, we will be having the South Central Regional Convention next fall and would so love for you to come. My garden will be one of the many on tour.

Vicki

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Vicki: Did you make it to the regionals this fall in Tulsa?...I'll tell my sister you liked her cat. She thought about a Scottish Fold for awhile but settled on this breed because she likes the persian type nose. Personally my 4 cats are just what God decided to send my way(rescues), but I love them all......Maryl

• kelli8
    11 years ago

I have been looking for the "Field of Dreams" Rose Could you tell me where I could get one? I can not seem to even find where I can purchase on the web. Best Regards Kelli my e-mail is kellimccloud@yahoo.com

• katalea12
    8 years ago

Snowheather, beautiful roses!!! My compliments. Can you please tell me where you purchased STILE 800?Its gorgeous rose !!! Is it HT or climber!?own root or stock? Thank you in advance and happy gardening!!

• bellarosa
    8 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful roses!! Thanks for sharing.

• Sophia
    8 years ago

Love all your pictures. Very well captured.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was scrolling down, enjoying this thread and then was completely blown away by the sight of the white rose, framed by the black-green of the shrubbery and blue sky. Snowheather, your photographs are a prescription to cheer someone who is feeling under the weather :-)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?