Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Roses "A"

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Ok time to do the alphabet of roses. Let's try to spread it out over a few months if we can!

This past yr was not the best for me. So much thrips. Auugghhh!! I don't have time to spray. So, unfortunately, many of my roses had brown edges and don't make for the most beautiful pictures. They are what they are!

AFFIRM
{{gwi:1261971}}

AQUARIUS
{{gwi:1261973}}

ABRACADABRA
{{gwi:1261969}}

ASHRAM
{{gwi:1264759}}

AUDREY HEPBURN
{{gwi:1269779}}

ARC ANGEL
{{gwi:1278091}}

ADRIANA
{{gwi:1282400}}

AZURE SEA
{{gwi:1282401}}

AVE MARIA
{{gwi:1290354}}

ALLURE
{{gwi:1204998}}

ANDRE WILLEMSE
{{gwi:348226}}

APERITIF
{{gwi:1298241}}

ATTRAKTA
{{gwi:1298242}}

Feel free to add your "A" roses!

Comments (78)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I'm loving all these beautiful pics from everyone, and we're only on "A". That Andre Brichet is especially luscious!!!

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

Sumptuous roses! What a treat. (My students, who are all about locavore stuff and urban homesteading, say to me "Do you JUST grow flowers, like roses and stuff? Don't you grow food?" (Alas, I used to, but with a farmer's market on the corner, and space being a premium, food for the soul wins in my garden.)

My cerinthe doesn't live through the summer either. She reseeds quite politely, blooms up a storm in spring, then turns yellow when it gets hot and I take her out. But she's a lovely texture variant when she's around.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Marina, as usual, I love your pictures!

The pics of Alchymist by your and earlier by Lynnette have me weak in the knees! Like WOW!

Kate

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Lynette! We don't actually get hot sun here. Hottest it ever gets here is about 80-85F and that's not that often. I was just thinking that it might do better in the ground than in my pot. What do you think? In which case it would have to go to someone else. Decisions, decisions. And since I'm getting 12 or so more roses - something's gotta go. LOL But I think I'll keep it at least one more summer.

Marina - that Astrid G.... is soooo pretty!!! And Alchemyst!!!!! Oh my goodness!!

And those lovely Angel Faces!!! Wow!!!
    Everyone's roses are just screaming - bring on summer!!!
    Carol

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I'm too new to add much, but I'm LOVING lurking on the thread! Astrid G is incredible! And Appleblossom FC... sigh! Weak in the knees indeed.

Thank you all! :)

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I'm so excited to see my Ascot bloom. I've been loving your pictures for so long now. Hoovb and I shared a Palatine order and she bought 2 and I bought 1. I have to grow mine potted until it goes own root because of my soil. That's ok because I still get to enjoy the flowers. Hoovb has the most amazing garden. Even at the end of the year just before pruning the plants looked great. She already had the holes dug for the Ascots!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I've just got to add a few more comments on you later posters' photos.
    Nummy, your photos are so beautiful in their color and detail. I especially love the unique tint of America, and of course, Angel Face.
    Lynette that is one exquisite, lush "Lad"-the Shropshire kind. Want one.
    Marina, I'm so glad to see your outstanding photos of roses, so often new to me, again. The many color variations of Andre Brichet's plump blooms are lovely, and Angel Falls is a truly impressive "water"fall of roses. I can't wait to grow Astrid-what a mysterious beauty.
    Thanks for posting, everyone. Now on to the B's. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Ascot and Astrid are so beautiful. Love them every time you post those pics.

Kate

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the beautiful tour- abe is truly gorgeous, isn't he?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I really enjoy doing this in the winter. It so helps the ugly time pass to have these beautiful roses to look at.

I don't know why my Angel Face gets so pinkish like that. Maybe the soil it's in? People often challenge me on it's ID but it really is AF and it's been here for decades.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Apricot Nectar

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Iris--I'd forgotten how pastel and lovely Apricot Nectar is. Thanks for the 3-way view.

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

What a sumptuous bunch of blooms in a luscious color, Iris. Diane

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Arg, those posts always make me add to my wish list. lol. Aloha Hawaii certainly is a nice one! I have only one A that isn't already posted.

Anne-Ayemone Giscard d'Estaing. Still a baby plant though.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

That's a really nice rose!! Love how the anthers are so showy. The pistils are red which I like very much. Lovely rose!!
    Carol

• marhelm
    10 years ago

Alfred Sisllay

All American magic

Arizona

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooh Brittie, I love your ANNE-AYEMONE!

And Marhel those are beautiful shots of ALFRED SISLEY!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Impressed with Alfred Sisley--gorgeous striper!

Kate

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Just going through these again - so lovely! That Aschermittwoch is so dreamy! Astronomia and Anne-Ayemone, too.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

I'm a bit late to the party, but working on the theory that there's no such thing as too many roses, here are a couple of A rose pics taken at the Victoria State Garden this year.

Albertine

Appleblossom

Last ones a bit of a cheat- as its titled it just "Austin Roses"..There's Christopher Marlowe on ground at the Front, William Morris on the pillar; the yellow roses on the right are Charles Darwin, Charlotte and the Pilgrim..Sorry but I cant remember which ones were on the left!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

I'm so late to the party it's probably over. Beautiful photos everyone, especially love Albertine, and All American Magic is a party all on its own.

Here is Anna Olivier.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

titian1 - Your Anna Oliver is gorgeous, love the color!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Wow--curdle--that composite photo of all the DA roses is wonderful! Somehow I have trouble getting all my roses to bloom simultaneously like that.

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Australia must be rose heaven. I remember many decades ago, as a child, I wanted to move to Australia. Now I want to again so I can live near all these glorious roses. Victoria State Park must be a little bit of heaven, and titian, your Anna Oliver is beautiful in its own right. Diane

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

ohh you wouldnt like it at the moment Diane- especially my home state! We are currently sweltering under the fifth consecutive day of over 40 C heat. I dread to think of what the state garden looks like now - most of mine aren't too bad, as I stowed them under the carport (one advantage to having pots) . A few I left in low sun areas, and they got a bit scorched yesterday. Ended up moving them early this morning, when it was only 30 C. Thankfully the weather bureau has promised a cool change late today, although apparently its necessary to inflict blustery winds and a thunderstorm first.

oh that Anna Oliver is lovely! How big does she get Titian? I would love /need to try growing some teas, but they have to be able to fit in a pot...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Curdle, your current summer (pity the tennis players) sounds like our summer 2013 with many days over 100 degrees F. I am not looking forward to 2014's. Do you have to irrigate constantly like we do in the desert? I still stand in awe of the roses' beauty you show in your wonderful pics. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Apologies, Beth, I didn't realise this was for modern roses.

Thanks Sara-Ann, Diane and curdle. She actually looked even lovelier than the photo, much more glowing.

Diane, you made me laugh. I want to come to America to see your roses! Though the photos posted by curdle look wonderful. If you come, do get in touch.

curdle, she's about 4' so far (3rd year), but doesn't look like getting much taller. There are 3 planted quite close together. I have the book 'Tea Roses - old roses for warm climates' (put together by a group of Australian ladies) in front of me. For large pots, they recommend Duchesse de Brabant, Mme Antoine Mari, Marie Lambert and Papa Gontier, these being 'well-foliaged and repeating quickly'. Of these, they recommend all but Marie Lambert as having been found reliable in Australia.
    Trish.

This post was edited by titian1 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 16:49

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trish, it's perfectly ok for you guys to add your OGRs. This is certainly not restricted to modern roses! I have only a handful of the older roses, and just haven't gotten to them yet. Your ANNA OLIVIER is gorgeous!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Thanks Beth.

curdle, I was down in the garden earlier and realised Anna O is 5', and probably will make 6'.

Trish.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Aww thanks Titian, but I guess Anna Oliver just isn't pot material then. I have the book Tea Roses - old roses for warm climates ( christmas present), and I noticed they didnt have AO on the list; I fell in love with the pictures tho, and after seeing yours, was hoping you might tell me differently.

Diane - my back yard is mostly sand, so yes, constant watering! and during the heatwave I was doing the pots twice a day!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Are you kidding? We LOVE to see OGRs! And please, even if your rose has already been pictured add a picture of yours too! It's a great way to see how the same rose performs in different places.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Ambridge Rose today
    {{gwi:226064}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

These are all nice pictures, and I am amazed at how striking some of the Angel Face pictures are. I don't have very many "A" roses, but I will add a few of mine below. The first is the other Aperitif, the yellow HT version.

The next one is Asso di Couri, AKA Ace of Hearts. Had I disbudded this one, it might have won a queen because it was blooming the day of the show, surprisingly. Oh, well.

{{gwi:319737}}

The next one is the HT Avant Garde.

The last one of this group is the Portland rose Arthur de Sansal.

{{gwi:234433}}

I hope you like these.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bustopher, I love that APERITIF! Gorgeous!

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

And the Louisiana iris is perfect with 'Apertif'. What a combo!
    Do you know the name of that iris?

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

As for the iris, I have a few of the dark Louisiana irises, but they are in another part of the yard. I think these are Siberian irises, but I am not 100% sure. They do get rather tall and floppy, however. I do like the yellow and its opposite color, purple, as a good combination. Thanks for the comments.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Bustopher--love those roses. They are all beauties!

As to the iris, if those are a bit floppy, I don't think they are Siberian iris which, in my experience anyway, are always upright and erect--never floppy. Both kinds are lovely, however.

Kate

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Alnwick from the Huntington Rose Garden

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Antique Carmel from the Huntington

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Alister Stella Gray from the Huntington

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Finally found my Huntington pictures to add here. Everyone has so many good ones. Wow you are already on R! Glad I'm not too late!

Here's my Ambridge

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Love your 'Ambridge Rose'. How tall is it?

• neptune44
    10 years ago

A Whiter Shade of Pale

Aqua

Abrakadabra

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Neptune, your A WHITER SHADE OF PALE is gorgeous. Mine's still in a pot and doesn't look that good... yet! Is that AQUA a florist rose? Did you root it?

• neptune44
    10 years ago

beth, Aqua is indeed a florist rose. It was bred by P. Schreurs in the Netherlands.

• neptune44
    10 years ago

beth, I bought Aqua on-line from Virag, Croatia. Grafted, bare roots.

http://www.virag-roses.hr/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=62

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, you had to get an import permit, I assume?

• neptune44
    10 years ago

beth, I live in Bulgaria. Don't need import permit, certificate and don't pay customs duty. You have to check about CA

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, ok. Your member profile says you live in the USA.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company