Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Where have all the 'oldtimers' gone?

bethnorcal9
14 years ago

I've been coming here to this forum for around 15yrs on and off. I know times are rough right now, and people's lives take turns and things change. I don't post nearly as much as I used to. I'm working 2 jobs and dealing with all sorts of family stuff, but I try to come and check in once in awhile. It seems the posts are slower than usual, and not to be insulting to anyone (newbies or regulars) but kinda boring lately. People I used to see posting all the time, seem to have left the forums. Has there been some mass Exodus like the one about 5yrs ago (or was it more than that) when many people left to hang out elsewhere? Is everybody off twittering (or is it tweeting?) Or Facebooking? Both are things I have no interest in doing. I don't even hardly get on the Conversations forum. I like to talk roses and see rose pics, etc. Where are all the people I used to see posting all the time? I can't remember them all, but .... like... LaBrea, Linda and the Boyz, Digger Dave & Deb, Kathy in Sac, Deborah the florist rose Queen, Jean in Ark, Niecey, Aprille, Katefisher.... Karl is still hangin' out, and Hoovb, and Florence. But where has everyone else gone?? I mean no disrepect to the newer members, but I sure miss seeing the old familiars (to me) posting here and there.

Comments (58)

• CapeHeart
    14 years ago

Beth I am back - been away for awhile - so Happy to see you!

Happy New Year!
    Chantel
    Cape Cod

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Beth---I just mentioned this very same thing to my DH----I joined GW back in 2002 ( I consider myself an "old-timer" LOL ---where did that time go?

At that time it was a really busy Forum--here and over on Antique Forum---

I wish more of the old-timers would come back and post again---remember Cindi from Texas?- and so many others---
    What about "garden-buddies"? are some familiar names on that Forum ?
    Maybe some will see this and respond--

Nice to hear from you Deb----have you checked over on the Antique rose Forum ??

Remember all the fun we had over on Conversations?

Have a Happy New Year

Florence

• juicy_tomato
    14 years ago

Hey Jim, thanks for posting the link to that old thread! I just love those pics...

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Your welcome juicy tomato, glad to help.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Jim, how did you manage to bring that old thread up?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

That's easy Beth. lol. That was the first thread I seen before I signed up for Gardenweb. I had it bookmarked. lol

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

Hey Beth; I am still around, some times.I haven't been coming as much lately as wasn't nothing new on here,and I had no new photos of the roses to post.The deer ate up most of my roses while I was laid up with the broken wrist, and my wrist is still giving me lots of problems, hurting a lot,along with everything else.Then its turned so darn cold,its depressing to have to stay inside every day, but, soon spring will be here again,and can be outside and come alive again.Hope you are doing well,as well as every one lese here, too.

Jean

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Jean---nice to hear from you--Hope your wrist heals soon.

Florence

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Jean! Glad to hear from you! Sorry to hear about your wrist tho. I hope it heals soon. Sounds like you're in a winter depression like me! I hate winter. I want spring and summer!! Can't come soon enough for me!

• jumbojimmy
    14 years ago

Hey Jim,

Do you have the link to Olga's thread where she posted a couple of photos of 'Radio-Times'? I couldn't find that thread.

• jumbojimmy
    14 years ago

Do you guys remember Devon? I wonder what happened to him?

And also, Maurizio(morrisnoor) - the guy who has a nice garden in Sardinia, Italy.

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

Hi Beth I was wondering the samething not to long ago. I have been a member since 1998 I have seen a lot of people come and go. I stopped posting for sometime but recently came back to check things out and I still visit from time to time. I really don't see to many still here from the old days. When I joined it was not as big then, they did not have 30 some pages it was only 9 or 10. I have not seen Linda and the Boyz post for a long time,(Bill, her oldest dog has since past on) and the new puppy who is probaby not so little anymore. Also I will never forget the 2 argument's about foiler feeding, and the Rose Society people only posting when elections came around, remember those. I had a pretty heated discussion with Marilyn Wellan ( if you are here marilyn Bless You, bygones are bygones), I think Spike had to intervene on one of those.
    It is always good to have new people because we can all learn from each other but, I do miss all the oldies. When I came back and started posting again I was putting my join date under my name for some of the older members to know who is who, which is a good way to let all know how long one has been here. My memory is not as good as your's and I have a hard time remembering some of the members name's from back in 1998. I only remember Linda because I had the chance to meet a family who she grew up with, they own a beautiful nursery in Rancho Mirage which I shop at quite frequently when in town to see my grandchildren and daughter.
    The ones I remember are, of course Karl, the lady who used to sell the mini roses and her mother was a famous propagater (see can't remember her name) you, Linda, HoovB, Hershigirl, DiggerDave,I don't know if this name is right but maybe you can refresh my memory CactusJoe? or Cactus something, someone will correct me. There was also a author of a rose book who use to post, do you remember him, I am trying to remember people who were member's way back in the late 90's but it is hard. Are there any particular posts that you remember that caused drama?
    Anyway I am glad you brought this subject up.
    Carrie
    Member Since 1998

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yeah Jumbojimmy, I remember Devon. He sorta got railroaded out of here I think. I don't remember why. He sure brought a lot of drama tho!

Carrie, glad to see you're still around. I remember CactusJoe. And you're thinking of Sue, Dee Bennett's daughter. She frequents the Garden-buddies forum that Harold and Florence mentioned. Digger Dave and Deb are there too. Many people I see here also hang out at the "other" forum Rosarian's-Corner. You see a lot of the hybridizers and some of the vendors over there. Cliff from Eurodesert Roses is one of the administrators. It's a nice forum, but not nearly as active as the GW one, and people don't post as many photos there. There's a lot more talk about the ARS and breeding, etc. I enjoy perusing all of the rose forums, but this is where I tend to hang out most.

And oh yes Florence, I remember miss Cindy from TX. She hasn't been on here for quite a few yrs. Don't know whatever happened to her. It's funny how people come and go.

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

What ever happened to Carla? She used to post alot and seem to get the forum hopping, I miss her. There was a guy who used to post from Florida, I forget his name. He was always in controversy with others about using different fungicides and he always gave Bayer a big boost. I miss all the old timers too although I haven't been posting much myself.

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

I think Devon left because it was going around that he must be a fake because he looked too good looking, had a humungous house/yard/pool on the ocean, etc. I wish he would come back, he was a prolific poster and very friendly.

Carol

• katefisher
    14 years ago

Hi Beth! And everyone for that matter. I'm glad to see your post and you are absolutely right I have been away for a while. A long while. Fortunately not for any negative reason, we just got really busy starting last summer with family visits, a little traveling, home improvement and then it seemed the holidays arrived and..,you know.

I have really been missing the rose forum though and hope to get caught up with everyone now. Happy New Year by the way. Hope things are going okay for you and we can connect again this spring/summer.

Take care.

Kate

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Beth--I remember a few years ago Cindi from Tx was hit really hard by a terrible hurricane---lots of damage to her home and gardens---Haven't noticed a post by her since then----I remember who you mean from Florida but can't remember his name at the moment-------

How about Anniesbriars ?----so many others pass through my thoughts from time to time---wish we could have a big reunion.
    Florence

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Kate! Good to see you're still around! I know what you mean about getting busy with family and home improvements too! Both of those things can be time consuming. Just let me know next time you're coming down this way.

Oh Florence, I do seem to remember something about Cindi and a hurricane. But I think it might've been way back when I was away from the Forums. She was such a sweet lady and always had stories to tell. I miss her too.

• kathy9norcal
    14 years ago

Beth, I was getting very little in response to my postings and I figured people were bored with me posting the same old roses over and over again.
    I also noted the exodus of folks. In the good old days, we had real vibrant characters here who were always entertaining, also the leader-type folks who were very popular. Remember how we loved and looked up to Rosebud? Does anyone remember a gal named Michie, or something similar? I do remember Cindy and miss her a bunch, too.
    Not sure what happened either of these two. I do know a bunch of more recent folks left here and are now at home on the Anique Forum.
    Kathy

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Kathy! Long time. Speaking for myself, I know I could never get bored with your photos!! They are always gorgeous. I especially love seeing your mini LIFE LINES. I got one a few yrs ago after seeing your photos, but the dang thing has never bloomed. I planted it in a hanging planter, hoping it might sprawl out and hang down, but I think it gets dried out too much. I think I'll plant it in the ground somewhere.... once I figure out where!! Anyway... I hope to see more of your posts again!!

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

Kathy;I for one NEVER got bored with none of your postings,I always looked forward to seeing your gorgeous back yard.It was always so beautiful.Am looking forward to seeing more photos of it this spring.

Jean

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Beth, I've been visiting Gardenweb for over 12 years now. I was growing only vegetables up until about 8 years ago and never had a rose until 2 years ago, so I have rarely visited the Rose Forums. I stumbled upon this thread when looking at rose photos and I have enjoyed reading it. I have been feeling a loss of how busy Gardenweb was in the past and missing the activity and many of the people. So you are not alone. :-) Thanks for posting.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

I was first a member about 9 years ago and I remember a lady that posted so many of the most beautiful rose photos, there might have been poetry with them too, but I don't remember her name now. Her backyard was full of roses. She even replied to me in a private email once which I was very excitted about.
    Latter on I only had limited solar power so I couldn't use a computer. As we built up our solar power I started getting back on the computer. Now we have 240 power and I stay on the computer long hours into the night. Very recently I have got into continuing the Family Tree from where my Mother and Aunty finnished tracing back to. So that is what has been taking all my computer time recently. It is so amazing the wealth of informatiom we have on Google.

• onewheeler
    14 years ago

Beth I am another old timer from way back when. There was a time when GW was my home page. You might remember me as valeriegail, later onewheeler.

Today is the first time in over a year that i have looked, had a chance to check this page.

I moved to my little house 3 years ago Dec. Life has been great but very, very busy. I too miss the days when I could come here and look at your posts. I adored all your rose photos. You were always so good about putting them in alphabetical order. Don't give up, you did a great job.

Valerie

• carla17
    14 years ago

Hi Beth. Hi everyone. This is like a rose forum roll call.
    Beth, I sent you an e-mail a while back.
    Glad to hear from everyone that posted. I'm in touch with Patricia from AL. Trying to find Renay "Nay" who was living not far from me but could be back in TX by now.
    ramblinrosez, thank you for asking about me.
    Glad to hear everyone is still in touch with each other here.

Carla

• msm84
    14 years ago

Hi Beth!! I drop in once in awhile just to see what is going on and like you, I miss the "Good Ole Days" and everyone that made the Rose Forum home.

I'm sure you remember me when I tell you I was the gal who worked at Tiny Petals with Sue O'Brien and Dick Sparks. We all sort of left when Spike and someone (I won't mention his name.) decided we could not post here anymore. Thats is why my username has changed. You might remember me as "Ms. Mary" ;o)

When the nursery was sold to Greenhart I sort of retired from rose growing and started spending more time at the race tack watching our son race and taking photos. I am now the track photographer and spend my time working on race photos and traveling to the track every weekend during race season (Feb-Nov).

I still have a few roses in my yard including my namesake rose, but nothing like the 300 I use to grow. Just not enough time anymore.

• anne_8b
    14 years ago

I've been a member since 1998 and I do miss Cindi. I use to post ever single day for years and years. I'm not sure what happened I think it just got to be to much of the same. I recently have been lurking and just posted for the first time in awhile. I miss Cindi, Digger Dave, Steve and I always smile when I see Karl's postings. Before Karl and I met in Portland he saw me going down the hall in my jammies to buy a diet coke, then we formally met that evening and really laughed about that one.
    This website really answered so many questions for me and I can still remember the first posting that I actually knew the answer too and was able to help. It use to be my reward at the end of day, maybe it can again.

• Spidermite
    14 years ago

Hi Beth, I joined the rose forums about 12 or 13 years ago and boy did we have some really good times back then. We built a new house seven years ago and do not have good light exposure for growing roses, so I don't visit GardenWeb as often as I used to. I'm glad to see you are still posting :-)

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

I love the pictures even if I don't always say anything! I always check the gallery. Thanks guys. New and old

• msm84
    14 years ago

Spidy, Its so good to hear from you again!! Is been several weeks since I've visited here and to check in and see a post from an old friend made my day!!

Last week I was cleaning up some old files on my computer and ran across a folder with photos of your visit to San Diego along with photos of Willinator and Cynthia's visits too. We all became friends right here on the Rose Forum and I still think of all of you as close friends!!

Ms. Mary

P.S. I sent you an email so I hope you get it ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: photosbymsmary.com

• tnladyhillbilly
    14 years ago

Hey beth, its been a long time since I posted here but I drop in from time to time to read and look at all the pretty rose photo's. Ive been on here around 10 years I guess.I was around when all the drama was going on..lol One thing that could be said about the forum back then is, it was never boring..lol I sometimes think that some of them were "plants" from the previous owner. He was known to purposely start stuff so he could then ban people. I was involved in one of the dramas when a woman posted about bad roses from S&W Greenhouse. I knew the owner personally and the majority of my roses came from there. Turns out she was running a scam and it turned to litigation eventually. There was also a stir over japanese beetles at the time and the use of pesticides. I was invaded literally that year and there were many comments that crossed the line into rudeness.
    Sorry to say that divorce, moving off , moving back, renovating a house and losing it, starting another house thats just sitting there and various illnesses have taken a toll on my roses. I used to have over 250, now I have fewer than 100 left and except for a few they are pitiful excuses for roses. I also started a small daylily and iris nursery and that takes up so much time.
    There are so many from the old days that I dont see anymore. I recognized you and kathy, karl, of course anntn and zeffy but so many more I dont see. Patricia from AL, Paul (I believe this is the author someone spoke of) Christy from SC(or NC) and I cant remember her name but she was in NorCal and had the most spectacular gardens set on a hillside surrounding a house that she had built from recycled items. The gal from Nashville that was also an attorney. I know anntn will remember her name. I cant for the life of me..lol.
    Sheila

• lovemysheltie
    14 years ago

Hi... I used to post ages ago and then stopped only to return last week. My handle back then was 'thebordercollie'. I actually wrote a post on the Antique Roses forum about returning....

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg031433388221.html?9

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

labrea is still around;
    he just posted something on hot topics.

• electricalumbilical
    14 years ago

Hi, all! I "see" some familiar faces and lots of new ones.

I was hospitalized in 2004 (doctor thinks it may have been a virus), and I couldn't read, operate a computer, or do much of anything for quite a while. My immune system has been compromised, and I have ongoing issues, but my condition has improved slowly over time. I can even remember what my kids tell me for longer than 10 seconds at a time now. Thank goodness. Losing one's body is hard, but losing one's mind is the pits!

I was frustrated that I couldn't garden, and my poor roses suffered. However, buying disease resistant own-root roses meant I still had a rose garden, even if the roses need lots of pruning. I was hopeful that I would get back into the garden last summer, but I spent it being mummified with severe lymphedema and had to sit around with my legs elevated.

(First, I was a zombie, then a mummy. What's next?)

This year, I'm going to do what I can, when I can. Karl has been a big inspiration. I nearly gave up my roses, but my husband and I have talked about how we can downsize some garden areas, and change some others. I've been embarrassed at the condition of my gardens, but most of them are behind the privacy fence, and if I find I can't care for the ones people see in the next year or so, we'll rip them out and plant grass. As much as I enjoy gardening, I want to have my roses for as long as I can, and we'll adjust accordingly.

I've seen several names mentioned of people missing that I used to enjoy so very much. Does anyone know about Viking Queen (Brenda)? What about MissyGardenWhimsy? It's a shame the old posts were wiped from existence. We had some wonderful conversations and absolutely beautiful photos.

I skimmed through the Rose, Antique, and Gallery forums and saw some of the old crowd, but some are missing. Are these people still posting?: NearlyWild, QTee, Joanontheprairie, Kaye from Arkansas, AnneCecilia, Kim Frances, Susan CKD, AnniesBriars, Kristy (I think she was knash), Ronda in Carolina (but I think she moved), PaulonLakeMichigan (and that wonderful William Baffin of his), Rozanna of Texas, and JohnW. Each one touched my life with their knowledge and by sharing the beauty of their gardens. I know I left out people, so I'll just state that nearly everyone on GW was special to me (except Spike who sent me to Disneyland and threatened to ban me for innocently providing a link!).

I think I saw LoriElf, Hershigirl, and Mendocino Rose are still posting. And Kathy9norcal. And Florence! *waves*

Blessings,
    Applewood Annie

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Annie! Your lymphedema must be so uncomfortable. My sister had a tiny lump in her breast about 10yrs ago, and this quack doctor removed it and wanted to take her breasts without thoroughly testing for cancer. He was one of those surgery-happy docs, and because she refused to have the breasts removed, he made her go in and have almost all her lymph nodes down her arm removed, all without checking them for cancer yet again. She ended up with severe lymphedema in that arm and major physical therapy for many yrs. She found out later that none of the nodes were cancerous and possibly not even the original lump. Plus she also found out he left a clamp in her arm too! She hasn't had it removed. I certainly would've! Anyway, I hope that you can overcome that awful swelling. Glad to know that you are still with us, tho!!!

It's good to see some more of you guys showing up too! Sylvia, I did notice LaBrea posting elsewhere on the Forums too. Wonder why he doesn't pop in to the rose forums anymore tho? Oh well...

• electricalumbilical
    14 years ago

Hi, Beth! I've been enjoying your alphabetical posts of your roses. Such eye candy!

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider and had a severe reaction. I was treated with antibiotics and had an even worse reaction to the medicine. In the end, my lymphatic system was damaged. I'm able to control it most of the time with physical therapy, control stockings, and good care. But I hate brown recluse spiders! (The doctor didn't know if it was the venom, the antibiotic, or a combination of the two that damaged my lymphatic system.)

Your poor sister. Quacks like that shouldn't be allowed to practice. And to think all of her difficulties could have been avoided.

My roses won't compare to yours this year, but I hope I have some blooms to share later.

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Just checking in again-------How wonderful to see Applewood Annie---My goodness you have had a terrible time---We want you back if only for a little post when you feel up to it.
    Tivoli Rose formerly Susan CKD has moved to a new property and left that gorgeous garden---she posted on ARF a while ago----

Beth----so sorry for your sister----it can be scary----I've had two Hip replacements and am just recovering from my second back surgery----turned 80 in Nov.---my gardening will be very limited in the future---don't want anymore back surgeries----
    Karl is also my inspiration------
    I still some of the old familiar names but many have gone on to other Forums-----

We sure did have some great conversations back in the old days--

I think Pete is the man from Fla.

I still come here almost everyday but since my sitting time is limited I don't always comment--

I still enjoy all the pictures so please keep them coming--

Also notice some very interesting newcomers---some day we will all be oldtimers---LOL

Florence/zeffyrose

• dove_song
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! :) Applewood Annie, it is soooo good to see you posting. I have often thought of you, and wondered how you were doing. I can hardly believe you are here . . . no thanks to that "blank-itty-blank" brown recluse!!! :( I am sooooo sorry you have gone/are going through this. Hang in there, girl. I know what it's like to lose your mind (although admittedly for me it was a short ride. :P) going through a traumatic immune system botch-up. Totally sucks -- big time!!! -- to say the least. I have an autoimmune system disorder (actually two of them) and it's really hard when you remember how fine-tuned you once were. Man I was hot! Just kiddin' sort of. :P Still . . . life goes on, and it can be really fun despite all the unasked for, ongoing hardships. Well, I think you know that -- given what a smart, funny lady you are. :)

Speakin' of Viking Queen (Brenda) she's another friend I dearly miss. Over time I lost her address -- which is a real bummer because she is such sweetheart. :) The last time I saw her here was a looooong time ago on the Conversations Forum, and man!! some folks there were really being mean-spirited to one another. It broke her sweet, gentle heart, and she has never come back. Can't say I blame her -- I was pretty unhappy being around all that spiteful discord, and thought, "Man!! this is such an unhealthy environement, I'm so outta here!!" So I left as well, for quite awhile, for more happy-go-lucky places. :)

And Kristy, girl (Knash) is another fine lady whom I dearly miss. Sigh ....

Would talk about some of the other folks you mentioned whom I dearly miss as well, but frankly I don't have the stamina to go on and on. Soooo . . . talk to ya later. :)

Hugs,

Debbie

• carla17
    14 years ago

Some of the people you mentioned are on Facebook. Kristi, from GA, and I even saw Brenda aka Viking Queen I think. Pam aka Mendincino Rose, several others too. I miss the old days here, but alas, time marches on. I will be around to see everyone's rose pictures. Spring is here folks!

Carla

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

Applewood Annie, bless your heart for remembering me. I'm still around, though since I lost my DH last summer my time for checking in on GW has not been the same. Used to be that I popped in every single day - sometimes more than once, but I've no time for that any more, and not so much time for my gardens either I'm sad to say. I've tried to make a promise to myself to photograph the gardens more this year, even if only to help me some day remember the beauty I created around a home I no longer can view as being the place I'll stay the rest of my life, sigh.
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. What a terrible time you have had! I hope you have some beautiful roses anyway this year - and better days ahead.
    It's fun to see so many people pop in, but sad when I see the names of some very wonderful people I met here over the last 12 years and now so many of them are lost to us all. That's the nature of this way of relating to people. We only see a small window on someone's life and they can close it and turn their backs at any time, leaving us in the dark as to what happened. That's the trouble; never having the end of the stories...

• katerosie
    13 years ago

Oh sigh. I was a newcomer when Karl, et.al, were on a posting frenzy which made me laugh so hard and lifted my spirits. I just tuned in here to The Rose Forum to "lurk" around. I saw a thread I wrote on the discussion section and cannot bear to open it yet, especially when one thinks things can't get any worse then to see how more difficult times others are having. I think it was Linda in CA who diagnosed my mother's serious health issues whiched helped tremendously at that time and I will always remember her. I will always remember all of the great hearts I found here on this forum.

Blessings to everyone,
    Kate from Richmond, VA

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Kate, it's so great to see you here!! :) And blessings to you!. Please post when you can, dear.

Great big (((hugs))) :)

Debbie

PS Linda in CA is another one of the oldtimers I sorely miss. And Patricia in AL, and sooo many others . . . .

• cltroses
    13 years ago

Hey Beth. Think I first started posting back in '99, then took a break when I built a new house and had to start from scratch with roses, but get to see a familiar name.

Scott

• bebble
    13 years ago

I wasn't around long enough to be missed but I too popped back in this evening since we have a new yard and will finally be able to start making it pretty.

Was nice to see a few of the "old names" mentioned, I remember pete, olga, and a few others that seem to be missing... sorry to hear some of you had such a time of things and that 2010 is a better yr!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    13 years ago

I'm still here. Use to be, Ken-SE-FL or something like that. Started posting back in 98. Retired up to the N. GA mountains almost 2 yrs ago. Slowed down a little(?). Don't have to answer to an alarm clock. Love that to death!!! My Rose garden is slowly creeping along. About 22 or so bushs of all types. Will probably add about 25 HT's next spring. Mostly lurk and add a coment every once in a while. I'm not dead yet!!!! No guarentee about tomorrow. Just take it one day at a time.

• electricalumbilical
    13 years ago

dove_song! So good to hear from you. I'm sorry you suffer from autoimmune system disorders. They really complicate life. It takes so much more energy to do the things that used to be effortless. But life is still good.

annececilia, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. After sharing your life with someone that long, it would be like an amputation of half your body. Although, what a treasure to have shared your life with your best friend. So many people never have that kind of relationship. (((hugs))) May each day become easier for you.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

I am in desperation! Rosemeadow, if you ever! check this gallery, which I hope you someday do! My computer had to be completely re-formatted about a month ago because of a virus that destroyed and corrupted my email system. I lost your original emails and contact, even though I tried to save them. Outlook made one last attempt to save out all my .psts but by the time my machine was cleaned out and re-done, the .psts were too corrupt to be read anyway! So sorry! I cannot email you either because Gardenweb doesn't have your email either. I think of you and Ray and the children all the time with love and prayers...

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    13 years ago

I think the attorney gal from nashville was Jean of TN. I used to post more before iVillage. There were/are so many kind and generous gardeners on these forums.

Scott (cltroses), my DH and I came to your house and got several roses from you. Must have been your old house. Most did not do well, but one that I really loved was Perle des Jardins and I lost it a couple years ago thanks to this crazy weather we've been having. Many of my plants never recovered from that May freeze we had a few years ago.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    13 years ago

I used to come here quite a bit in the 1990s and through the mid-2000s, but have gotten busy. I still check back from time-to-time -- a few weeks once a year. I rarely post.

I have grown roses since 1988, but wasn't much good at it until I started coming here in about 1996, and with the tips of those posting that year, I honed my skills at growing roses, and became fairly good at it. I have about 40 roses at home and I help with a small municipal garden of about 60 roses.

I don't have as many questions, and so my need for information is less. Rose rosette took out nearly half my personal garden about 3 years ago. That was a setback, and so maybe I became disappointed about what I was doing w/ roses, in addition to being busy. That part of my personal garden that was replaced over the past 3 years is just now coming into its own again.

I wish I had time to take pictures and share because our roses are so beautiful this week.