Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardendreams

Last Roses of 2010

The pictures of the roses posted in this photo threat are all taken in the last 14ten days! Of course I don't have many roses still blooming, so each one is considered a little gift at this time of the year. Hope you enjoy my photos!

William Shakespeare 2000. This is my favorite rose! The color is so beautiful and the rose is quite fragrant. Why did I wait 3 years before I bought this rose? It is so much prettier in reality than my photo shows. If you like it on my pic, just do yourself a favor and get it. You won't be disappointed.

A rain battered Le Vesuve. I love how soft and muted the colors of the Tea roses are in the winter.

Devoniensis Cl. Second bloom that I see on this rose. It is much more yellow than the last flower that opened.

Geranium maderense. Shooting the rose flowers in my garden I came across this plant, which I also want to show to you. It is from the hardy geranium family, but has really big leaves. The foliage is always perfectly laced. The smaller varieties of the hardy geraniums are often grown as companion plants with roses, but I rarely see this one anywhere.

Heritage. Completely pink right now instead of the usual pinkish-white.

Why do I post a picture of these unexciting bands? Because the one on the left is Wedding Cake. An oddball floribunda, bred by Ralph Moore that I was unsuccessfully trying to acquire for ages and now received as a Christmas gift from a friend. You can imagine how much I am looking forward to finally seeing it bloom in my garden. Maybe this spring already?

Marie Pavie. This rose seems to be completely unfazed by rain and the winter. She is putting out buds like mad.

Angel Face. Brought it in to rescue the bloom from all the rain. It opened to perfection.

A two-colored Belinda's Dream. Moonstone blooms are sharing the vase with it.

Georgetown Tea. I really love the romantic, ethereal quality the blooms of this Tea rose are taking on in the winter months.

William Shakespeare 2000, again, as seen through the lens of the camera by my husband. I think, he was able to capture the color a little bit better than I did.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to everyone!

Christina

Comments (15)

• inga007
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovely blooms, indeed.
    I loved the Angel face.
    Thanks for the treat.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Great pictures, Christina!

I love WS2000 and Angel Face. Good luck with Wedding Cake and the other baby band. You are lucky to have so many roses worth photographing...

Masha

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Wow! Lots of pretties! I think my favorite would have to be ANGEL FACE! Love the geranium too.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Christina, it's amazing how you always manage to put together the most amazingly beautful set of rose pictures, even in the dead of winter. Finding a favorite is impossible, although the picture of the vase of roses gives me the most aesthetic satisfaction. It also makes me look forward to my two bushes of Belinda's Dream blooming more than ever. Wm. Shakespeare is a magnificent rose, looking very much like one of the old gallicas. I really look forward to seeing it in your garden in the spring.

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Inga, Angel Face is very easy to grow here in my no spray garden and you get rewarded with lots of blooms. Seems to love the heat.

Masha, I am still so glad that I saw William Shakespeare 2000 the first time in your garden. That really shoved me over the edge to get it for myself. Thanks for your good wishes for my bands. They are very tiny so I can really need them :-)!

Beth, my Angel Face is most likely budded on Dr. Huey rootstock and blooming already very well. I am toying with the idea to get it on fortuniana, just to see if there is any difference in the vigor and floriferousness of this rose. It makes me happy that you appreciate the geranium.

Ingrid, Belinda's Dream looks very promising, even though mine is still growing in a 2 gallon pot. It really seems to like the heat, though. I noticed that the flowers have some trouble to open right now and they ball easily when it rains. But this also could be due to the young age of the rose. Hope your two bushes of Belinda's Dream will do well for you!
    I was thinking on the same lines like you that William Shakespeare reminds me of a gallica. Since we can't grow gallicas here it is great to have at least something similar. I just can't get over it how subtle the coloration of the flower is. Hopefully next spring when you come for a visit the rose will have grown quite a bit and has lots of blooms.

Christina

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Very Pretty! Just Love getting a new rose, esp. one I've been searching for.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

So pretty- I can't wait to see Wedding Cake. I love the Geranium too.
    Renee

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ladyrose! Yes, it is very satisfying finally getting your hands on a rose that you wanted for a long time. But when I am thinking of it I am happy to get my hands on any rose that I can reach ;-).

Renee, thank you! I can't wait to see Wedding Cake blooming either. Even though my main wish right now is to keep it alive in the first place. It has started to leave out though, which for sure is a good sign. I will post pictures when it blooms.

Christina

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Those are gorgeous. I especially love WS 2000!!!!!!! My local rose greenhouse was supposed to get it last year, but turned out, they didn't. I was so disappointed!!

Belinda's Dream has such a cupped elegance!! Wow!! What a stunner.

I echo everyone else here - what a great friend to give you such a gift. What a lucky find too!!!

:)
    Carol

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

I got Wedding Cake this past spring, I preordered it and it arrived similar to yours. I have been babying it all year. I have gotten 3 blooms from it so far. It is currently in a gallon pot. It is so cool, I hope I can keep it alive.

One of 3 bloom{{gwi:1298534}}s.

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carol! Hope you have a chance to get a handle on William Shakespeare 2000 this year, he seems to be really worth growing. On the other hand I am wondering if you can grow real gallicas where you are? They might be even more beautiful, but I guess only once blooming.

pelicanhead, that is soooo... awesome that you posted a picture of your 'Wedding Cake'! Thank you very much! I am dying to hear where you did get yours from!
    On your photo the bloom color looks like a soft apricot/pink with some yellow petals more to the center of the bloom. Could you observe some of these yellow inner petals changing into a pale green as the flower aged like some of the pictures of HMF show?
    I am very relieved that you write that your band arrived in a similar condition like mine did. Since you have been able to keep yours alive and babied it even to produce three blooms in its first year, maybe mine will survive, too. Did you do anything special to pamper your band?
    Somehow I think I remember that you are growing your roses in Southern California, too? Is that correct or am I totally off?

Here is a pic of my Wedding Cake (left side) and Lavender Crystal (on the right) taken today. They both have started to leave out. I am so excited!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

I got my wedding cake from Rogue Valley. I pre ordered it and paid a fortune for it, then they had them in stock at the regular price. It did turn green as it aged. The blooms lasted a long time on the bush. I live on the coast in Carlsbad, and the weather was so cool this year my roses suffered and I got lots of mildew and rust. I'm hoping for a better year this year. I just made sure it got plenty of sunlight, and water.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Christina, it will be fun to see you Wedding Cake develop.
    Your Angel Face looks like a model ad for the plant! Gorgeous!
    I am now longing for WS2000.
    I have Belinda's Dream on order. So exciting to see it! Is yours very fragrant?
    Thanks for the winter photo treats!
    Sandra

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pelicanhead, thanks for letting me know that you got your Wedding Cake from Rogue Valley Roses. When I looked at their website they didn't have it in stock. I am so exciting to read that your WC turned green as the flower aged. It is such an interesting rose.
    We basically live a stone throw away from each other. I am in San Diego, but more inland. If you would like to visit me and see my garden please let me know!

Sandra, thank you for you nice compliment on my Angel Face pic!
    The fragrance of my Belinda's Dream was not that strong to my nose. But when I smelled this rose in a befriended Rosarian's garden it was as far as I remember very intense. In any case Belinda's Dream is a great rose, I hope it will grow well for you!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Yeah, all of my roses (40) are in the garage now, being babied with an automatic overhead heater that is controlled by temperature in the garage. They all have nice green canes, and I've been adding snow once a month. So I think I could grow WS2000. :) I love being able to grow roses outside of my zone.

Carol

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design