Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Roses "A"

bethnorcal9
11 years ago

I guess it's not too early to start the rose alphabet. I've been so busy this yr, I'm surprised I had this many good blooms. The yard was neglected more this yr than ever before. I just don't have the energy to get out there and do all the needed cleanups, even when I do have the time. I hope the coming yr will be better!! Please disregard the ugly weeds and yucky backgrounds that may be found in some of the pics!!

A WHITER SHADE OF PALE - one of my favorite acquisitions from Cliff's mother plant sale
{{gwi:1276869}}

ABBAYE DE CLUNY - a rose that doesn't bloom a lot thanks to the damn deer
{{gwi:1298652}}

ALL AMERICAN MAGIC - love the stripes
{{gwi:1273639}}

ALLURE - wasn't very happy this yr, too much thrips...
{{gwi:1298654}}V

ALPINE SUNSET - one I nearly lost a couple yrs ago, has been slow to recover
{{gwi:1298655}}

ANDRE WILLEMSE - one of Cliff's babies from last yr
{{gwi:1298656}}

ANNE HARKNESS - love the color on this one
{{gwi:1264908}}

APERITIF - love this one I got from Vintage a few yrs back
{{gwi:1273640}}

APRICOT QUEEN - always seems to be more pink than apricot
{{gwi:1298658}}

AUDREY WILCOX - an excellent rose and great bloomer
{{gwi:1298659}}

AUTUMN BLISS mini - love the peanut-buttery color!
{{gwi:1298660}}

AVALANCHE - been a good bloomer this yr
{{gwi:1282181}}

Feel free to post your pics of roses beginning with the letter A. Will do the "Bs" later....

Here is a link that might be useful: My PictureTrail albums

Comments (31)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Thank you :) I needed a rose fix. Haven't had anything since early November.

• ziyakr
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics, esp the Abbaye de Cluny! I've talked myself out of that one in favor of the Buck Winter Sunset that will hopefully do better here. I still kinda lust after the Cluny though, must be that pesky Medieval studies degree LOL.

• organicgardendreams
    11 years ago

Hi Beth, thanks for starting the rose alphabet, again. You have truly gorgeous, beautiful and very unusual roses. My favorite this time is the very first 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'. Never heard of it before, but I am of to HMF to look it up to get some more info about it. Looking forward to the "B-roses".

Christina

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I am going to have to go take some pictures for the alphabet!

Ambridge has about 40 buds right now, Alfie is a baby, and Abraham Darby might have a bud or too.

• inga007
    11 years ago

Wow! What a lovely treat, after a long "famine".
    Now I'm looking forward to the "b".
    Thank you for sharing your lovely rose photos.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I'm decidedly short on roses whose names begin with "a"--but I do have this lovely David Austin rose, a shortie with exquisite blend of pastel shades.

Austin's Anne Boleyn in bud:
    {{gwi:207547}}

In full bloom:
    {{gwi:207549}}

Starting to decline, but aren't those pastel shades lovely!
    {{gwi:207548}}

Hope some others post their roses by alphabet also. They are so nice to look at this time of year.

Kate

Oops--edited for spelling!

This post was edited by dublinbay on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 12:45

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys! Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. Christmas! Ugh! I can't believe it's almost a new year already!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. And Kate your ANNE BOLEYN is just gorgeous!

Hope you all have a great New Year! I have to apologize. The rest of the alphabet is going to take awhile to pick up. Unfortunately, shortly after I posted this thread, my son re-did my computer, and he was sure he saved all my files on my external hard drive, BUT... somehow the 2012 rose, garden and iris photos did not get saved!! Thankfully, the original photos downloaded from the camera are all there. So, I have to go thru them all and re-tweak them. Over 6000 photos. The real problem tho is IDing them all! About 20% I won't know what they are. It's a bummer... but my own fault. He did ask me to save the files myself, but I was too busy, and asked him to. Just shows ya... you want something done... you do it yourself.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Oh, Beth, you have our sympathies. All those files! I'd be in despair!

If you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and start the "b" thread--not that I have that many "b" roses, but there are a few--and hopefully others will chime in with photos while they wait for you to plow your way through all those unmarked photos. Fortunately, they can be added to our alphabet threads any time you want.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate! Go for it! I'll add whatever I can as I get some tweaking done. Oh, I also still have some of the old photos in my Picturetrail albums, so I can add those too.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

OMGoodness!!! I am in such rose withdrawal that I haven't been coming here - it just seems to hurt too much (I know that's kind of ridiculous LOL).
    The A roses are sooooo lovely. I can't get over how different All American Magic is from mine.
    And I totally sympathize with the computer - same thing happened to me (computer died) and all of my photos had already been downloaded and deleted from my camera. Hubby's going to try to retrieve them. Cross my fingers.

Thanks everyone for the roses!!
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

It's so mood lifting to see the lists begin again. Thanks, Beth, for giving us all a push and starting with the A's. As usual, you have many treasures I've never seen before, and the beauteous Audrey Wilcox is a stunner. I loved seeing the bloom trajectory of Ann Boleyn--so lovely, seil, and no dead heads rolled, either. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Here are a few of my A List. The photos were taken by my talented 14 year old granddaughter. diane

Abbay de Cluny
    {{gwi:309137}}

Angel Face

Ascot
    {{gwi:309136}}

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh Diane! I have ASCOT coming from Palatine. I'm so glad to see your beautiful photo! I'm gonna love it.

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

I also have a few additions to our A-gallery. Please take a look.

A Shropshire Lad
    {{gwi:1298662}}

Acropolis
    {{gwi:1298663}}

Agnes Schilliger
    {{gwi:1298665}}

Alchymist
    {{gwi:1298667}}

Aloha (Kordes)
    {{gwi:1298669}}

Angela
    {{gwi:1298671}}

Anny Duperey
    {{gwi:1298673}}

Apricot Impressionist
    {{gwi:1298675}}

Art Nouveau
    {{gwi:1298677}}

Artemis
    {{gwi:1298679}}

Aschermittwoch
    {{gwi:1298682}}

Ascot
    {{gwi:1244401}}

Ashram
    {{gwi:1298685}}

Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg
    {{gwi:1244404}}

Augusta Luise
    {{gwi:1271725}}

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Dark Lady, how do you like your Apricot Impressionist? I need an apricot climber and that is the one I am most interested in but I can't find much information on it.

Absolutely gorgeous roses everyone!

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Karolina, my Apricot Impressionist is only one-year old cutting from Heirloom Roses. Didn't do much growing in this first year, neither it bloomed decently. Much to wait for...
    Sorry, I am not of more help, this rose is very new for me.

I have another apricot climber from Heirloom - The Impressionist, also very young plant.
    {{gwi:1205396}}

Beautiful blooms, but just like Apricot Impressionist, it didn't bloom much for me.
    I hope to hear some good news from those who have these roses for longer.
    Marina

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Marina,
    I loved seeing the pics again of your Ascot, Astrid, and Augusta--the three A's I must have--two to go. The Ascot photo is one of my favorites on HMF. That big fat Aloha bloom is just stunning--it looks huge. There are so many beautiful apricots here, but Aschermittwock looks a bit like milk chocolate. It's yummy. Thanks for the lovely look at your roses. Diane

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!! I'm amazed by how beautiful these roses are!!! Well done everyone. Wish I could contribute but my pictures aren't available.

Glorious A roses!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Oooh, lots more lovelies!

Here's a few of mine.

American Pride

Always A Lady

Angel Face

Appleblossom Flower Carpet

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dang Marina, your roses are phenomenal! I love that odd one, ART NOUVEAU! Looks like a dahlia!

Seil, that ALWAYS A LADY is so cool. I love the pencil-line picotee edge.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Dark Lady, Love that climber Impressionist!

Seil, I've never seen a real live flower carpet rose, but that one is charming.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 20:11

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Seil, your Angel Face is breathtaking.

Marina, based on your photo, I went ahead and ordered Apricot Impressionist. Can't wait!

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Anna Olivier, tea rose, Ducher, 1872

Jackie

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

oh, such beautiful blooms for a grey January day! I hadn't seen many of these and particularly like the colors of Autumn Bliss and Anne Harkness.

I love the dark pink edging on Always a Lady.

A few A's I can add to the list are ...

Ambridge Rose

Alba maxima

Aptos

{{gwi:324046}}

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Harborrose, your Aptos is adorable!
    Marina

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Love the soft color of Anna Olivier!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

jackie--I do like Anna Olivier and, harbor, agree that Aptos is adorable!

Glad you could join us in posting pics.

Kate

• JuanaJennifer
    11 years ago

Hi
    beth

Thanks for starting the roses alphabet. Your roses colour is very pretty and interesting and also these roses use in gift and different occasion. I love this roses.

This post was edited by JuanaJennifer on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 2:46

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Wow, Aptos has an impressive show of blooms, and, yes, cute, too. Ambridge Rose looks so shy and lovely. Thanks for posting, harborrose. Diane

• pootpoot1
    10 years ago

My only "A"
    Alnwick rose.
    She didn't put out much blooms ever since I bought her.
    I've only gotten four blooms so far.

Is the picture sideways? My apologies, I don't know how to correct this!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

PP1 - you posted this on the wrong thread. This is for last year's alphabet list.
    Your The Alnwick Rose is gorgeous!!! Would you repost it on the other thread?
    Carol

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz