Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

DA Roses Part 3

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

Dang I had to break them up into 3 postings. Too many!! Here's the last batch...

SUMMER SONG

{{gwi:1298741}}

SWEET JULIET

{{gwi:1298743}}

TAMORA

{{gwi:1298746}}

TEASING GEORGIA

{{gwi:1298749}}

THE ENDEAVOR

{{gwi:1298751}}

THE INGENIUOS MR FAIRCHILD

{{gwi:1298753}}

THE PILGRIM

{{gwi:1298755}}

THE PRINCE

{{gwi:1298757}}

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000

{{gwi:1298759}}

WISE PORTIA

{{gwi:1298760}}

Comments (16)

• henrikslo
    13 years ago

Your collection of English roses is beautiful.

Henrik

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Thank you for these pics. I really enjoyed the three-part garden tour.

Kate

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Beth, you can never have to many David Austin roses ;-)!

All of them are beautiful but Sweet Juliet and Wise Portia are outstanding to me from this batch of photos.

Thanks for taking the time and posting these photos for us here on GardenWeb. For me it was like a belated Christmas present!

Christina

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Beth ~
    Thank you for the photo treats! I like them all, but your photo of Benjamin Brittan is especially very nice; also Mr Fairchild is an interesting and beautifully shaped rose. I hope my Teasing Georgia decides to do something more next spring. Yours is inspiring.
    Thanks for the link to your albums, too. I enjoyed looking at the pets. :). I am going to mark your albums so that I can eventually see all of your 1500 roses! You have such lovely photos.
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! When I started doing this, I hadn't realized how many pics I had of the DAs. I still have numerous others that either didn't bloom last season, or I missed somehow. I really prefer the hybrid teas and floribundas, but I must say, these roses are really very beautiful. David Austin really has made some wonderful creations, hasn't he?

Sandra, I'm glad you like the pet pics! Two of the kitties in there are no longer with us, Princess and Felix. And our dog Katie died about a month ago. We miss them all.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Wow Beth, lots of beautiful pictures! I love Wise Portia.... Thank you for keeping the gallery going, I still remember your alphabet roses last winter:-)

Masha

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Thank you, Beth...so very much for these beautiful Austin roses. I grow a few here in KY. but their performance is just so-so. I still love them and will not pull them out. The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild is very interesting to me. I knew nothing about this rose but it would be lovely in my garden!! Can`t begin to tell you how much I enjoy your rose photos. Your garden must be spectacular. Happy New Year to you and many thanks. Lesley

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Beth ~
    So sorry about the kitties and Katie. I know what a loss it is. Our 13 year old Standard Poodle is aging rapidly, and our German Shepherd is not far behind.
    Our animal friends really do enrich our lives.
    Sandra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

As usual I like them all, but I've saved my WOW! for Summer Song. Haven't heard of it. Is it new?.......And I remember a post you did about your dog being very ill. I must have missed your post about her passing. It's so hard to loose them. My sympathies to you.....Maryl

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Really glorious pictures, with the purple roses being my favorites. These roses make me want to see pictures of your entire garden. (hint, hint)

Ingrid

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everybody!

Lesley, That INGENIOUS MR FAIRCHILD is not a great rose. I've had it for a few yrs, and I think that's the first bloom I've had on it. Nothing spectacular, that's for sure.

Oh Sandra, I feel for you. It's awful when your beloved animals get old and then pass away. It's almost as bad as losing a child.

And Maryl, I didn't post anything when Katie passed. It was a long sad journey to see her suffer, and we probably should've had her put down earlier. But we just couldn't do it. We did take her in about a week before, but we just felt she wasn't quite ready to go. She was petrified and looked at us so desperately, like she wanted to go home. So we took her home and kept her warm and loved until one day when my husband got home late and I was at the store... he said she came walking up from the side of the house, went in and laid down behind his chair where she always slept... and just expired. It was like she waited for him to come home. I got home moments later. He and the boys buried her in the dark. It was sad, but sort of a relief. He says no more dogs. He can't handle it again he said.

Oh and SUMMER SONG is not that new, Maryl. It came out a few yrs ago, but for awhile was only available thru the Canadian suppliers. I believe it's now available thru David Austin USA. It's probably my favorite of the DA's, mainly because the color is so out of the norm for his roses. You really should get it!!

Thanks Ingrid. I will try to post more yard shots in the coming season. My backyard, where most of the DA's are is sort of a mess tho. We're sloppy gardeners!

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! I was wrong. DA USA doesn't carry SUMMER SONG. Palatine carries it, but they sold out almost immediately. I thought Hortico had it, but they don't either. Pickering carries it, but can't ship to the USA. Bummer. I'm sure glad I managed to snag mine a couple yrs ago.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

thanks Beth. I just looked again at my DA catalog and STILL couldn't find Summer Song. I thought I was perhaps loosing what little mind I have left. I really need Dr. Huey rootstock (or at least own root) so Canada is not really an option....Having said that I want you to know that because of your enabling, I have been lusting after Brinessa for years. Until recently it has only been available on Fortuniana which is a no go for me under any circumstances. Now Palantine is offering it for sale on multiflora and I'm almost tempted - almost. Your pictures seduce me into doing things I know aren't good for me-LOL....And again, so sorry about your loss. Been through a loss myself, and like your husband, I can't do it again either. I'll stick with my kitties....Maryl

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I can see why Sweet Juliet is used in the cut flower wedding industry. Too romantic.
    Sorry about your sweet pup.
    Renee

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

My favorites are Wise Portia and Sweet Juliete. Your photo of Sweet Juliete is, I think, my most favorite picture of a rose that I have ever seen!!!!! It is truly unbelievable. Thank you!!!!

I'm sorry too about your dog. My standard poodle is 7 years old, and so I've never had a dog die. Sounds horrible.

But thank you again for the rose gorgeousness!!

Carol

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

Beth, I'm sorry about your loss too. Maybe in time you all will be ready to have another dog. I have ordered Wise Portia for spring and your picture makes me doubly glad I did.
    Linda