Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missschultz

How do i fix these?

missschultz
11 years ago

I don't know what else to say but ... What's wrong with these and how do i fix this?

Comments (13)

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a third view

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add, that yesterday I repotted them all into larger pots.

• User
    11 years ago

Aside from the fact that these appear to be semi-dormant (which isn't a problem), your plants are showing signs of Blackspot, a fungal infection. You control this with fungicides (consult your local garden center for a recommendation), or discard varieties that get the disease and replace them with ones that don't.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for such a fast reply. I don't think they're supposed to be dormant now, it summer here in Australia. 1 actually has a flower on it, and the other had a flower a couple of weeks ago, but it fell apart fairly quickly. I do have a rose spray and have used it but maybe it needs lots more applications. What causes blackspot, so it doesn't happen again?

• User
    11 years ago

Oh, I see! I didn't realize you were in AU!
    Since it is summer where you are, and those are obviously not dormant roses, you have had a serious problem with Blackspot. It is a fungus disease that is in the environment, so there is no avoiding it. All you can do is use the fungicide regularly (most sprays have to be applied every ten days) and you have to start spraying as soon as the first foliage appears in Spring, or you will fight to control the disease all summer long.

Blackspot is a serious problem with many miniature roses, and its hard to find varieties that don't get the disease. I suggest you consult experienced local growers and ask for recommendations for varieties that are more disease resistant.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    11 years ago

First I would remove all the bad canes. Second remove all the blackspotted leaves and clean up any fallen leaves. If you have access to manzate I would treat the plants with that to kill the spores on the plant and protect any new leaves. By the looks of the plants they were root bound for a while. They will recover and send out new leaves. Just try to keep a fungicide on the leaves so you wo't get any BS on them . I grow a lot of minis and ZI don't know of any disease resistant ones

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, thanks for the info. They've since been repotted and sprayed regularly with a Rose spray, and now look quite a bit better. I just didn't realise they needed constant help but it seems to be helping. Thanks.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello forum,
    I wanted to thank everyone because from their help last year, those dead stick have become beautiful rose plants this year, so thank you very much to all on here for your help :)

• missschultz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one

• missschultz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another ones do finally these.

All the pots bloomed profusely, but this is the one I currently have photos of.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They're beautiful! What ever you're doing keep doing it!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

They sure look happy now. Whatever you are doing, don't stop.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022