Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

ID a Pink Climber grown in 1985

lesdvs9
17 years ago

I grew this climbing mini in 1985. I thought it was either Cl.Angel Pink or Cl. Hi Ho. Under my jewlery magnifier it looks like it has a yellow center or yellow stamens but not positive and does have many petals. It was a repeat bloomer. No pest problems and didn't have to be sprayed. I think it had small thorns but don't remember for sure. I let this grow the last couple of years I had it with minimal pruning because the neighbor behind me made me mad:) This climber at the time of the photograph was probably 7 years old. I live in central CA.

The nursery can't id it at this time and I'm hoping someone recognizes it because I would like to grow it again. I moved from that house in '93 and who lived in it next dug out all of my roses and climbers else I'd go back and get a cutting. I'm going to also post this on Rose ID.

Thanks for any help or guesses.

Leslie

Comments (31)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Leslie, some close up photos of the blooms would really help. The photos at HelpMeFind.com of the roses you names don't look like this one.

Jeanne LeJoie is a pink climber that is widely grown.

Are the blooms pink or more apricot? There is one called "Cl. Baby Darling", the full bush photo at HMF looks like your rose, but BD is apricot.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diane thanks for the help. I've been busy today. I found some pictures of Jeanne LaJoie and that's definetly not this one, though I did find one photo of it on an arbor that did resemble this one, from a distance it also looked similar. Why I'm also sure is the petals look different and this rose I don't believe was ever sold by Sequoia Nursery and all the roses I bought in the '80's came from there.

I've looked under the magnifying lens I use to make jewelery and the photos I have don't show apricot or tinge of orange. If anything it looks like here and there some white or it's fading petals. In one photo where it's just buding out the buds look mauve but I've put it into my photo program and blown it up and the largest I can make it is what it's blown up to here and any larger the pixels blow and loose all definition. This is an old Kodak camera probably 200 speed film.

Baby Darling is a possibility and a rose Sequoia Nursery still has and in the spring I'll be sure to compare the photo to that one.

Another possiblilty I'm entertaining knowing that I love purple and lavender is that it could have been Cl. Lavender Lace. The petals and flower size are similar and depending on the photo on HMF it is similar. The gal I talked to down at the nursery agreed that it does depend on where the rose is grown and the conditions the color the rose takes on. With the amount of heat and sun we get here it's a possibiltiy.

I know what HMF says about Angel Pink and Hi Ho but until I looked them up, Sequoia Nursery's catalog says AP is a pink blend and Hi Ho is a deep pink. Doesn't mention that apricots that definitely appear in the photos on HMF, why I felt kind of silly mentioning that in my initial post.

BTW in my first pic this is pretty true to the photo and the roses do look like bubblegum pink, especially along towards the right of the photo where the glare isn't. I'm posting another photo that I took at dusk where the bush looks more like Cl Lavender Lace. I've been looking on the internet searching out pink climbers. May just have to wait until April when the roses are blooming and get lucky at the nursery. Especially if this is a rose not in the catalog anymore but they still grow a few. I am hoping that someone recognizes this, I know that it's not a close up of the rose itself but hoping the overall form of the climber is familiar enough to strike a cord and if not, oh well. I talked to my old next door neighbor, the first thing the new owners did was tear out all my roses, they lined all the fences and all the walks and the back of the house.

Anyways, thanks Diane for taking a look and offering a couple for me to look at. I appreciate your time. Leslie

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    17 years ago

Could it be Cl. Little Girl? HMF says "orange pink and orange pink blend". They dont show a photo. It is an older one - an older lady who had a nursery that I went to alot had this one - it was the first climbing mini rose I had seen. She had a pale yellow also, whose name I cant recall right now. This might be it......good luck!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

The American Rose Society classifies Hi HO as an orange pink. There isn't any true pink in it.
    Ican also tell you Jeannie Lajoie has 40 petals.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have a pale yellow mini that blooms in clusters weeping in branches down the bush once a year and it's Cal Poly. I know the descriptions on HMF say golden or something but here in my garden it was a pale yellow in our hot summer sun. They use it as a landscaping rose along the highway into town for a few miles. I am growing that one again.

I was wrong about Jeanne LaJoie, looking in Sequoia Nursery's supplemental list they do sell that and it's listed back to 1975 so I'm assuming they also sold it back in '85 when I bought this rose I'm trying to identify. I'm hoping they don't close the nursery down in April like the newspaper article said because when the minis start blooming I'm going to be down there haunting the climbing aisles looking for this pink. The web says they're restructuring the isles for Mr. Moore and when I was there asking questions they of course didn't say anything about closing. I'd be sorry to see them go if they do and loose my favorite place to buy roses.

Thanks for the opinions, I honestly don't remember how many petals but Dan with the magnifing lens that's about correct, so maybe it is and I'm wrong, I'd like to find this one again, it was beautiful.

• brandyk
    17 years ago

How gorgeous! Can you explain what you did to get the rose that way? I have a similar fence that I would like to have flowers spilling over, but don't know how to start. I know it can take a while, just wondering the technique.

Thank you!

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brandy, first of all thank you for the complement. I throughly enjoyed this climber and it's next door neighbor that you can't see in this photo it's the blank space to the left, the weight of these two brought the fence down, hence the 2x4 propping the fence up. One of the climbers had to be cut down to fix the fence this much and I cut down the once a year bloomer because it didn't have thorns.

This said, in order to do this I would reinforce your fence with steel posts if you intend to use it like I did. This was a new fence in '85 and it only took 8 years to bring it down with the weight of the roses. I let this rose grow pruning it lightly only to encourage growth. I used twine to tie the canes up to the fence as they grew and let new growth spill over the twine each year and the following year would use more twine. The last spring it had grown so much if you look closely in the first photo you'll see another trellis propping up the front of the climber for support. I personally want to grow another like this but I'm going to get an umbrella trellis or think of some rebar or some kind of frame work to be prepared at some point to go in front of the bush to support the front, that will be several years depending on the type rose and how fast it grows. Actually if you can get some kind of large, tall cage to put one in it would still work up near the fence as you would like it too without it putting the stress on the fence. The rose would still grow and spill out over the sides and be tied to the fence in "waves" as it grows without putting as much weight and stress on the fence. It also would depend on the climber you're using. I had several other climbers I used this on with alot less dramatic results but they were also half this size all still minis, just different.

If you are going to do this the way I did however against the fence I'd use a metal trellis and not wood, the wood breaks down too fast and you'd be able to use a good sturdy metal one in front and sink it down well to brace the front if you're serious about the same effect. You can see how the trellis disappears in the front.

I know this isn't much help and I'm trying this out again this spring. I started two climbers last summer, one will be another massive mini and I hope to get it on a suitable trellis before it starts it's growth in the spring. When I figure out what I'm going to do with it, it was the one I had to cut down back then and I hope to find this pink one again this spring, I will come back to this thread and email you a photo with what I'm doing. Also if you do a search on here with umbrella tellis or creative trellis there are some excellent ideas that some others have posted. I'd be interested in what you do with your
    climber(s), good luck and have fun:) I'm not much help but if you have another question I missed please ask and feel free to email.
    Leslie

• brandyk
    17 years ago

How crazy that it brought your fence down!! Now that you point out the supports, I do see them. So very neat, and I AM going to copy you! Lucky me my fence is reinforced with steel posts!!!

I would love to see a how-to picture of the beginning part of the process! Thanks so much!

I haven't actually planted anything yet. Getting good ideas, but my fence area is the perfect place to grow roses because of the sunlight there. Also the area gets automagically mulched by leaves, so that's what I'm putting in there.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brandy, I sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it. I also grew all my climbers on the fence in full sun in 110+ heat in the summers here and they did beautifully:)
    The climbers mulched themselves in the winter also.
    Leslie

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

OOOh...Where to begin?

'Baby Darling' is definitely an apricot rose and does not make big, open pink blooms as shown in your photo.

'Jeanne LaJoie' does make candy pink bloom but they wouldn't usually be as big as the blooms that you are showing. Of course, there are some exceptional large bushes of that climber.

'Little Girl' is definitely a rich coral...or orange-pink as the registration people call it. The blooms do fade to pink as they fully open, but the buds and freshly open flowers are deep coral in color. The form and size of your blooms would match 'Little Girl', if the color is right.

All of these roses would have been available from Sequoia Nursery in 1985. I know, because I have shopped with them since 1972.

One of the other people mentioned the soft yellow, clustering climber from Sequoia Nursery. That was undoubtedly 'Climbing Yellow Doll', the only really good yellow mini climber back in the '80s. 'Calpoly' did not exist back then, and it is deep yellow and does cluster as much as that old beauty, 'Yellow Doll'.

You might try calling Mr. Moore, if you can still reach him through the nursery. He just turned 100 years old; but he is still sharp as a tack, when it comes to his minis.

I hope that I have been of some help.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose, thanks for the observations, I'm going to attempt to catch him there with my photos the end of March, 1st of April. I'm still maintaining Cal Poly because the same bush is planted along H198 in a couple places on the way into Visalia and it's the same climber I had in the back yard. Same bush, same flowers and it only flowers once, prolonged flowering clusters, but once a year. I had one photo of this climber and gave it to my granddaughter because it was in full flower with her and her mom in front of it 14 years ago. But...maybe memory is serving me wrong, I'm growing it again and it looks like the one I grew back then. I'm going to email the nursery, it's not listed on their supplemental list with a year out of curiosity. This pink climber may be something that just doesn't exist anymore either, they told me that Mr. Moore would not recognize it from the photo when I was there last asking about it.

On another note if you've been growing roses that long and been buying from them you don't have any of their "lost" roses they're looking for do you?

Thank you for taking a look at my climber and offering a guess at the yellow, I am going to check on that also. I always appreciate any info offered. Leslie

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose, you're correct on cl Cal Poly, the nursery says the climber wasn't offered until 2000. I don't know how to explain growing a rose that looked just like this, no thorns a once bloomer with flower clusters just like this. I have a photo date stamped where it was cut down as 1993, Cal Poly was introduced in 1991. I have another photo where it's the background but indistict dated on the back as 1990. It's immaterial but bugs me as the rose I see out on H198 looks like what I grew then and what I'm growing now. I've always wandered the aisles and picked up what I liked, no telling and my old records have been lost in the last 3 moves. I wanted to set the record straight what the nursery said on Cal Poly though. Thanks again for your info.
    Leslie

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Hi again Leslie.

I know that it is frustrating to locate roses which we remember from the past. Over the years, I have grown so many varieties that are no longer commercially available (especially minis). I have in memory more than 2,500 roses that I have grown or at least witnessed growing several times. Having been an exhibitor and even the owner of a mini rose nursery for several years, I do have the advantage of my memory garden to help me identify many old, long gone roses.

I have known Mr. Moore for most of my rose growing years. I owe him more than you can even imagine. It was his faith in womens' ability to run rose nurseries that broke ground in the 'all male dominate rose industry' for several women, including my mother and myself. God bless him.

I remember well, when Calpoly was first introduced. The incredibly deep yellow blooms of this mini took everyone by surprise. I would never have called it a light or pale yellow rose. It is the deepest yellow mini that I have ever known.

On the other hand, 'Yellow Doll' is soft yellow and clusters up a storm. I grew both the bush and climber of this variety and loved them both, but the climber was extraordinary in its display of flowers. I'm wondering, if you got a mismarked plant.

The only other notable yellow climber in my opinion would be 'Climbing Rise 'n Shine', which was also introduced in 1990.

By the way, did you know that there is a mini rose named 'Leslie'? I cannot say more than that, but you could ask someone else on this forum about that rose. I have to be careful of what I say on this forum, because I am a retired nursery professional with prejudices toward some minis that were created by someone very close to me.

OH MY GOODNESS! I just reread what you said about the yellow climber on H198!!! 'Calpoly' is a repeat bloomer and deep yellow. However, there is an OGR named 'Rosa Banksia Lutea' that makes tons of clustering, pale yellow blooms, which are small as mini blooms. It blooms heavily in the spring with loads of small, pale yellow blooms and is a notorious climber that is used for highway landscaping in many areas of the USA, including California.

Who told you that the roses on H198 are 'Calpoly'? Could you gotten a 'Rosa Banksia Lutea' from Mr. Moore? I know that he sold several OGR's and polyanthas over the year, as well as his world famous minis. 'Rosa Banksia Lutea' fits your climber description to a tee. Someone on the OGR Forum can probably show you a close up photo of that rose to confirm the identity. I know that rose is still for sale at almost any OGR nursery.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose, Cal Poly may be a deep yellow to you but to me I call it a light yellow because the next step is a dark yellow. The flowers for me are such a clear shade of yellow. That's why I use photos, I'm not good with descriptions.

I have a new house that I'm building another garden for the 3rd time and lost my previous records. When I went in to Sequoia Nursery last April, I described the climber I used to have. I told her that it was last half of the 80's to the early 90's. I shouldn't have just assumed. Cal Poly was in bloom and the woman who helped me, told me this was the same climber planted along H198 in several sections. I swear it looked just like the climber I used to have. Yeah memory is a funny thing and it that time I didn't know about this forum or about HMF to look up roses and history.

I went and looked up Lady Banks Yellow Rose, you're right, that's what it was. It had to be something Sequoia Nursery sold and it's still there on their supplemental list. The photos and description and the flowers, even the color is what I remember. Well....at least the mystery is solved. I'm disappointed to say the least, but thank you for helping me figure out what I did have without even a picture on that one.

Any idea then on what size Cl Cal Poly will get? I've got it trellised ready for it to be a massive climber thinking it was that one. HMF doesn't say how large it will be.

The first of April I'll be back at the nursery and I'll check out Little Girl for the pink climber, they still have that on their supplemental list also. HMF has that as a climber 5-7 feet, without a photo, so I'm skeptical that it could get this tall and wide but you were right on about Lady Banks Yellow so I'm adding that one on my list to check out possibles on the pink.

Your knowledge is valuable and I'm not sure I can understand what can predjudice you against certain roses knowing what grows well and doesn't. I'm not sure I need to grow a rose named for myself, but there's a shrub rose I want to get that's has my mom's name I want:) But thanks for the info, that was nice.

Thanks for all the info you did give me and I appreciate you coming back and telling me what my old yellow climber really was. I'd have been in for a surprise if not this summer next:)

Leslie

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Hi Again, Leslie.

You said, "I'm not good with descriptions." On the other hand, that is my specialty. I had to write detailed description for more than 100 rose patents and 20 years of catalogs for my former business, a mini rose nursery.

I just moved again to a new but VERY OLD house in a town just a short drive from Sequoia Nursery. What a shame that they are closing. Mr. Moore and the nursery he created are both treasures that will be missed.

I'm building another garden as well, but it won't be like my huge rose gardens from the past. I am getting too old and out of shape to care for hundreds of rose bushes. That kind of mega-garden takes dedication, lots of hours and a younger body than mine.

I can guess why the 'Calpoly Climber' is been planted along H198 in several sections. After all, Calpoly is in this area.

I cringed when you called, 'Rosa Banksia Lutea'...Lady Banks Yellow Rose. (ugh!) I guess that I am a traditionalist. I love to use the classic latin names for the old, Dowager roses. I figured that they deserve it. If I was more than 100 years old, I wouldn't want someone to come along and rename me. *lol*

I'm glad the mystery is solved, and I was able to help you find the name of your old friend. I am even happier that you WILL be able to obtain this rose again for your new garden. Sequoia Nursery is NOT the only location to buy 'Rosa Banksia Lutea'. This rose can be purchased at nearly any old garden rose nursery, and it may even be found from time to time at places like Home Depot and Walmart. That is NOT uncommon. I am confident that you will find one.

I know that the folks over at the Old Garden Rose Forum will know where to order one. So, don't lose heart.

By the way, 'Rosa Banksia Lutea' makes one of the largest, most breath-plants and a generous display of blooms. I have seen this beauty covering hillsides, buildings and the whole side of a 2 story house. A typical trellis could not hold it. A patio roof might even be too small. Definitely, give her LOTS OF ROOM to grow.

Sorry, I don't know the mature size for 'Climbing Cal Poly'. That is one mini climber that I didn't grow or even sell at my business.

'Little Girl' is more of a deep coral than a true pink. For the pink climber, there is nothing better than 'Jeanne LaJoie'. That's a really big climber too. She can cover 25 to 30 feet or more of fence line with just one plant.

In answer to your comment, "Your knowledge is valuable and I'm not sure I can understand what can predjudice you against certain roses knowing what grows well and doesn't."
    I am MORE PREJUDICE TOWARD certain roses than AGAINST them. At one time, I was not permitted to post on this forum, because I was a professional...with obvious prejudice FOR the roses created by my mother, who I cannot and will not name here. I would like to continue to post this forum and help as much as I can with identifying roses and giving advice to novices. However, I am restricted from commenting on any roses that were created by my mother or even talking about her and the nursery that she created. In fact, I may not even be able to talk about mini roses in the future, if the webmaster objects to my posts. If that happens, I will probably also have to leave this forum.

Anyway...

Tell me your mother's name, and I may be able to help you locate that shrub rose. Your namesake is beautiful. That's all I can say.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_Rose, I'm about 3 miles from the nursery and they keep assuring me they'll be there in April, but I guess you'd be the one to know. I will really miss being able to stop in there to pick up the roses I want and the ability to wander and discover new ones just by looking. In discovering the GW and finding out about all the nurseries available on the internet, I never needed one before, I found that there's the one by my Mom's in Arroyo Grande. Too bad you can't just walk in that one and pick out what you'd like then. The only mini nursery I've ever used has always been Sequoia and Mr. Moore's roses. BTW the shrub rose that I found is called Laura unless there's a mini that I don't know of by that name.

I spoke too fast about Cal Poly too, the catalog I had didn't give a height so I went to the web site and it says it'll be up to 6' tall. I took the extra trellis out and am using it by the other climber I planted last Sept. Work of Art. I had gotten two extra large, extra heavy duty trellis' in anticipation of growth this summer:) I'm sure glad you happened along before I wasted the extra width I didn't need on it. I apologise for calling it by the common name, it was on the web site I found it on. I have terrible non stop headaches and it's easier for me to remember short easy names than complicated ones. I'm in a new subdivision and we paid extra to get a larger lot but I can't accomodate both of those roses. I had planned for what I thought I had, Rosa Banksia Lutea in the corner of the back yard with plenty of room to spread. Now the space is taken up by Cal Poly, granted it doesn't need much room but the only space I have left in the back yard is along the back fence line and I have other roses planned throughout the new rose bed I'm preparing. At least the other corner of the back yard will match, that's where Work of Art is:) Same size climbers, similar habits.

Your description of Jeanne Lajoie intimadates the heck out of me, I was considering that one, covering 25 to 30 feet would be more of my back yard than I can sacrifice to one rose. Holy cow, thanks for telling me that, I was thinking 10'! I want to get one of those umbrella trellis and find the right climber that will nicely cascade, weep if you will out the top and down over the sides. This is what I thought would balance out the back in the center. Also be a nice vertical lift. off to the left is a ornamental plum tree and off to the right is a coastal redwood we planted last summer and I thought the climbers a nice threesome touch to that. So, I'm back to the drawing board looking around at photos and descriptions, problem is that people don't like to post photos of the climber just the rose. I had a list to take into Sequoia in the first of April to look at different mini climbers but it looks like I'll be rethinking that one.

As far as your last statement goes again I plead my headaches and wasn't thinking about the professional status. I don't think deeper than the surface alot of times and things don't occur to me until later that's there's something more, sorry. I hope you'll be around a long time on the forum, and can't see how anyone can object to your giving any advice about growing minis or just talking about minis as you're no longer a professional or in business. I really welcome your input and appreciate the time you've taken to talk to me.

Out of curiosity, what roses will you populate your garden you're creating now with? Now I'm curious and will do a search on a rose with my name:) Thanks again for all your help, Leslie

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Leslie...

I went from a huge house and thousands of roses to a postage size yard in Hanford, CA. Yes, we are almost neighbors. : )

You might want to consider 'Climbing Baby Darling' for your umbrella trellis. It is my favorite mini climber and makes a great show on that kind of structure. It isn't thorny, has branches that bend easily and make hundreds (dare I say...thousands) of blooms on a single plant at once. The color is soft apricot to pink. I wish that I could show you a photo here, but I can't at the moment.

I think an e-mail with some photos might be the answer. : )

Again, I don't dare list the roses I will be buying, because they will all be old favorites created by someone close to me. Digger Dave knows my favorites, 'cause he likes them too.

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Run! Do not walk from any pics of roses Sue sends you! Once upon a time (prior to 99).... Deb would occasionally get a grocery store mini. That was fine. Miniatures weren't 'real' roses and I could fit them in where ever. In 1999 and 2000, Hanford Rose and her dastardly, co-conspirator compadre (MsMary) began bombarding us with pics of minis. We have them all over the place now and Deb forces me to build beds for them. Be vewy, vewy afraid. Getting the list of new minis to be ordered down to 20 each spring is almost impossible. Leslie is on Deb's list for the coming spring. We are addicted to Dee Bennett minis now.

Hanford Rose is the real thing. Folks think I am pretty good with minis. She has forgotten more than I will ever know about minis. I'm an arrogant rascal that doesn't admit something like that easily. I did have a pretty good teacher.... Here is an article she wrote about my favorite mini: PSWD 12/03 Rose of the month Hope she doesn't shoot me for linking it :) I have a flak jacket around here somewhere.

The link below has Leslie on the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dee Bennett Roses at HMF

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Ouch! Direct Hit!

You just blew my cover. You better e-mail me right away, before you lose my new address, because I may get asked to leave this forum real soon. : (

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose, I will respond to that email, thanks I'd like that too. Cl Baby Darling was on my list of possibles to check out, I wanted to see it in person. I got an email back from the nursery that they will still be in business, just relocating, I don't want them to loose business. I'll bump it up higher on your advice though, that's something I needed to hear since it sounds like Jeanne LaJoie would be totally unsuitable as huge as it would be for what I want to do. Too bad, it's a beautiful rose.

Diggerndeb, Thanks for the links:) You're right, they are very beautiful roses and I always appreciate info and love to look at photos of roses. I'm usually at the rose gallery every day looking to see if there any new photos to look at. When someone lists minis I'm over at HMF looking them up:) I'm also glad you're able to hook up with your old friend again.

Always appreciate input, Leslie

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Spike isn't around anymore Sue. Don't think you have to worry about being banished again. I am using Deb's account here instead of my old diggerdave account. When ivillage changed their terms of service last year, they said posting would mean I accepted the new terms. Diggerdave has too many photos at Hortiplex to hand over to them.

Leslie, our garden at HMF is under Dave and Deb Boyd. I am slowly getting comments posted about them. If you have any questions about any I would be happy to help if I can. I'll link our album site below. It has a lot more photos of each rose than I have at HMF. The recent posts at the HMF Q&A forum is the first site I check each morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digger & Deb's Garden

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose & Digger, sorry I had been living like a mushroom, I spent summer of '93 to summer of 2005 in the mtns on a dial up modem. I couldn't keep the deer off the minis or the full size roses I grew. Anytime I spent on the internet I was tying up the phone line and I never stumbled on this forum in looking around, it would have loaded too slow in any case to use it. Anyways, I was pretty isolated for all that time, the only minis I was aware of came from Sequoia or those at the grocery store:) I keep pretty busy sometimes looking up the ones people mention here. This house we bought was finished July 2006 and we moved in and after I got the minis, I started looking around online for additional information. My sister helped me build the wall around the bed I created and we were arguing over how I amended the clay soil. I stumbled over this forum in my search, I'm just sorry the mini forum is not in use more.

Those specific roses are just gorgeous and I'm going to have to buy some and add to my collection in the spring, most definitely. Digger, thanks for the link, if you don't mind I bookmarked it so that when I'm not watching my grandgirl I can look them over in leisure in the evening. I went through some briefly, your roses are absolutely beautiful, excellent photography. Thanks also for telling me about HMF, I really wasn't aware that there was more there, I just stop in look up roses, read comments and sometimes nurseries and go on. Wasn't aware about the
    Q & A forum at HMF, I'll have to check it out, thanks for saying something. You'll probably see me popping up there now:) I'll check your garden out there also, unless the link is the same? Ok, I think I understand that then. Thanks for opening your photos to me, I will really enjoy looking at all of them. Thanks also for being willing to answer questions, I appreciate that.
    Leslie

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hanford_rose, here's a photo of my mini bed taken in Nov. My DH keeps stealing my retaining wall bricks for his projects and then I have to go buy more to replace. I can't keep up with him:) I'm looking forward to spring. Again, these were planted on the the 5th and 16th of Sept. (It's my thread, I can hijack it off target, LOL) Where the bark is in the foreground a fountain is going to be eventually when we have the money and find the one we want.
    Leslie

• msm84
    17 years ago

Dave, did I see my name mentioned...."co-conspirator compadre (MsMary)".........

Well Dave I just gave away my secret ID here too *LOL*

I don't have much time to spend on forums anymore, but every few months I drop in and read and I've even posted a few times, but mainly on the Computer Help forum. Before you get the wrong idea it wasn't about real computer problems.....just things to do with working with websites and photos ;o)

Guess I'll have to check in more often to just visit now that Sue is hanging around again ((grin))

MsM84 (aka: Ms.Mary)

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

No need to apologize. By the way, I like your mini bed.

I didn't even lurk here for about a year and spent a lot of time at HMF. We are on dialup modem here and I just take my time going through the gardens. After I check the recent posts and recent photos there, I click on the Gardens button on the left. Click on the alphabetical tab above and wander through the photos at the gardens there. There is a tab to 'Add your garden to HMF' up there too... just in case you want to add your garden. HMF has changed a lot in the last few years. We used to send pics there by email.

I've been deleting a lot of pics at the album site and still have over 1500 there. Hope you enjoy them at your leisure. Didn't intend to get the thread so far off course. I'll put a link to our HMF garden below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave and Deb Boyd at HMF

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Hey MsMary!! This is like old home week :) *looking around for Cynthia* LOL, I didn't have much chance with the 2 of you tagteaming me. Looks like we will finally be getting your namesake rose this coming spring. Been trying to get it since 2001. Deb says howdy :) This is great!

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You go right ahead on my thread, I think it's great you can find each other after all this time. It's the most activity this mini forum has seen in a long time:) It's my thread and it can wander all it wants to:)

Thanks for the complement Digger, I'm looking forward to spring and seeing all these grow, transplanting a couple of mini floras and a floribunda and adding more minis to the bed. Guess I know now it'll be some very special roses:)
    Leslie

• msm84
    17 years ago

Leslie, I looked back over this thread and after looing at your photos of your rose I can't help but think it looks alot like "Cecile Brunner". CB is always referred to as a once bloomer, but here in SoCal it blooms off and on all year. Ofcourse the first flush in the Spring is always the most dramtic! Mine covers a 40ft fence line when untrimed, never needs spraying or special care. Cold or hot weather has (can get up to 115 here during the summer and down in the 20's in the winter) no effect on it at all. Heck I never even fertilized mine and it does just great.

Wish I had a couple of photos to show you, but I just cleaned out my website folders. You could check at HMF and I'm sure they will have quite afew.

• msm84
    17 years ago

Howdy right back at you two!! I really have missed everyone and posting on the forums, but my photo business really keeps me busy these days. I keep asking myself how I got myself into this *LOL* Besides the older I get the harder it is to lug all the camera equipment around and not to mention climbing up on crash walls week in and week out ;o) We even had to buy a larger motorhome to haul everything around that is needed for my photo booth etc. I take 700-800 photos per race and spend hours sorting and sizing them, putting up web pages, taking orders (via email and at the track) and printing!

As you can see I don't have much spare time anymore. I can't remember the last time I took a photo of a rose or even a flower of any kind.....Probably out of practice now ((grin))

Your Rose Buddy, Ms.Mary

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for that suggestion Msm, I looked up Cecile Brunner and it's a distict possiblity I won't dismiss especially now that I've discovered that the yellow was Rosa Bandsia Lutea:) I looked at the pink again under the magnifying glass and it still looks like it has some white or yellow at the center but yet some of the blooms look bubble gum pink. I could have sworn I did all minis, I don't know how I walked away with anything but. I was a frequent visitor to that nursery in those years and after the first few years didn't ask for help, so I probably didn't pay any attention and just grabbed climbers in bloom that I liked the look of, assuming they were minis. I also would swear that the only once bloomer that I had was Rosa Banksia Lutea, but then I also thought it was Cal Poly because the nursery didn't realize I was talking back so far.

Hanford_rose, I did finally get to email you, LOL when you read it....

So I think I'll admit defeat and just start all over. Thank you.
    Leslie

Again talk all you like on this thread, too bad there's not a conversation area on the mini forum. I'll ignore you unless you direct something at me:)

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

For Digger and Ms. Mary...

The big home coming and reunion will take place at my old home base (RL). I have got lots of stuff to share with my old buddies, and I have a feeling that we may find more friends over there.

Thanks for the good news about Spike. *lol*

Talk to you later at RL.

For Leslie...

I got your e-mail, and you will be getting mine soon. Give me a call, and we can spend some time answering all of your questions.

Sponsored