Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

What do you plant with your minis?

gardenfanatic2003
18 years ago

I'm going to buy some miniature roses this spring (I've picked out 9 so far :-)), but I'm not sure what they look good planted with. I'm good at helping plants thrive, but I'm not good at the designing a garden to look good part. I've had to redo all my gardens because I didn't like the way they looked once they got going.

I've got a large area to work with. Should I group the minis together, or should I intersperse them among other plants? I'm making sure to stick with pastel colors (pinks, blues, lavenders, whites). So far I've chosen delphiniums, daisies, lilies, daylilies, garden phlox, campanula, dianthus, baby's breath & scabiosa. Do these sound like they'll work together, or will it just look like a jumbled up mess?

Thanks for your help,

Deanna

Comments (6)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi Deanna,

Really everyone has different opinions on garden designs, here's my take on it.

I have larger roses in the back w/minis planted in front. I also have perennials mixed in and annuals in the summer. I think you have a nice mix of perennials there. All except for Baby's Breath. It's pretty, but it's hard to grow and it likes very dry soil. At least that was my experience. I had slug issues w/delphiniums. I tend to stick w/4 or 5 different perennials mixed in so it doesnt look so jumbled and it gives it a theme. Just be sure to place the larger plants in the back. If you want it to look more formal you could plant all the minis in a row or circle. Whatever you choose I think you will have a beautiful garden. Have fun! : )

Jen

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    18 years ago

The old school thought was put roses in a well prepared bed by themselfs. Roses have far more possible problems that all the rest of the perenials would have. Also there root systems are huge. You have the possibility of some of the perenials roots sapping the strength from your minis. One good choice is put the minis in a big pot, one plant, one pot . Use 7gal or so and then bury the pot! That would stop the root competition. Also if you keep them close together
    they are easier to spray. Remember the roses need good air circulation or disease will be a problem. Space the minis at least 2' apart from anything else. If you only have those roses, I would use Bayer 3n1 on the roses. That will take care of feed, insects, and disease, for three months.
    I think this method would keep the roses happy.

• birdtalker
    17 years ago

My oldest mini is in a whiskey barrel. After a couple of years,I planted mint in with it to ward off aphids and it worked. Last fall I layered compost over the mint and applied a layer of bark mulch, the mini looks beautiful but I do not know if the mint will come back. The barrel also has some bluebell bulbs in with the mini.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I like a few evergreens thrown in, like small leaved Hebes. I'm also trying a groundcover called Acaena, New Zealand Burr. There is a blue-green one and a purple one. They spread well but don't seem to affect the roses so far. I'm hoping to avoid weeding problems. I also plant some Muscari and species tulip bulbs in the bed so there will be some spring color that will be mostly gone by the time the roses are blooming.

• joyce_grow
    17 years ago

ive got tem mini roses planted around my plumbago bushes.....make sure you give the plumbago plenty of space so it will have room to spread....very beautiful..my minis are several different colors......

• drasaid
    17 years ago

I'd be afraid of the aggressiveness of mint. I have mine in deep floral buckets; sometimes the roots go all the way down. I bought one groundcover thyme, cut up the pot, and stuck it in several rose pots and it is covering the dirt nicely. It has a shallow root system so it is OK.
    I have another rose in a pot with broken eggshells as mulch! That is not growing however.

Sponsored