Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Michel Cholet or other apricots

I've seen Michel Cholet at rose shows and loved the blooms. Is anyone growing it or have any other apricot suggestions. This will be a container display rose, so would like a nice bush shape, on the shorter side and good repeat. And of course since I'm wishing, the deeper the apricot color the better.

Comments (21)

• Megsroses
    19 years ago

I've had one for several years in the garden.
    It grows a bit tall for me and the color is very stable even in strong sunlight.
    Great form and does well on the show table.
    As far as repeat is concerned, it is about average as the HT shaped flowers are produced one per stem.
    Meg

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Megsroses. I've read that the repeat was a little slow, and if it's on the tall side in your zone it would probably be even taller in mine. I may have to wait for the hybridizers to create what I want. Most of the apricots I've seen are too pale. I grow Tamora (Austin) and wanted a shorter deeper apricot colored mini to compliment it.

• tenor_peggy
    19 years ago

One great older apricot mini is Jean Kenneally. It was the #1 exhibition mini for many years and can still win. I find it has some fragrance too. :-)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    19 years ago

I adore Michael Cholet! Another nice one is Sam Trivett, and also Miss Dovey. I just purchased these last spring so cant comment much on growth habits, but love the blooms on all.....Michael is my favorite. I think Mary Adair is a good one, had it some years ago.

• smurphy405
    19 years ago

2 more you may want to consider are Heavenly Days and Applause, that is if you want the deeper colors. I have Michael Cholet, Sam Trivett and Jean Kenneally on the way. I am making an Apricot bed and will put everything in pots first to make sure that they do not clash too much first. Good luck with your hunt.
    susan

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've grown Jean K. before, but she's just too pale an apricot for what I want. Haven't heard of Heavenly Days or Applause, so thanks for the suggestions. It is a deeper apricot I'm looking for and even Michel is a little light, but in the cool weather thought it might be deep enough.

19 years ago

Just saw Nor'East's Peach Delight and I plan to order a couple. Take a look at this one, quite nice.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Will do.

• smurphy405
    19 years ago

I just looked on HMF and Heavenly Days does not look anything like the color on the NOrEast site! Does anyone grow it and know how dark it is?

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

I don't know, my Jean Keneally is not what I would define as pale Apricot. She's one of my favorites. If you get the dreaded X, you may need to right click and then left click on "show picture" to see it.

Pic of Jean Keneally in early November
    {{gwi:1201429}}

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Almost forgot...two other apricot's you should at least look into are Cider Cup and Graduation Day. The latter is a Brad Jalbert introduction from 1999 that is more of a patio sized bloom. They are frilly, fully double blooms that resemble an almost mini Austin bloom. I have one planted next to an Austin Evelyn and the effect is stunning when both are in bloom.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Modern Man: The right click on J.K. (with a red X) didn't produce anything other then another "dreaded red X" (LOL). I looked up Graduation Day on Helpmefind and it wasn't listed. Since this "new" rose should compliment the David Austin rose Tamora, your description of it having Austin form intrigued me. Helpmefind did not have it listed at all. Do you have any pictures of G.D. or any sources? Your zone is different then mine of course, and with our heat Jean was decididly pale here. A good rose, just didn't do a thing for me when I grew it way back when.

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Hi Maryl,

I do not have any pics that would really do Graduation Day justice. I have one of Evelyn and if you were able to zoom in, you can see a fully open bloom of Graduation day and one just starting to open. If you like, send me an email and I'll reply with that pic as well as the pic of Jean Keanelly you weren't able to see.

As far as other sources for pics, the best place would be the hybridizer Brad Jalbert's website and nursery page. His nursery is Select Roses and they ship some of the finest quality miniatures you will get anywhere. They are located in B.C., Canada. Unfortunately, the rose selection area is down for maintenance for a few days, but should be back-up soon and they have a picture of Graduation Day.

Here is the link, http://www.selectroses.ca/

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Roses

• kathy9norcal
    19 years ago

I believe this is Graduation Day.

Here is Palmetto Sunrise, which varies with weather, being more yellow in cool weather and more peachy in heat.

Kathy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Kathy for the pictures. I've heard good things about Palmetto Sunrise, but thought it was a tall grower. What's your experience? Graduation Day is very pretty too. Just not crazy about ordering out of the U.S.

• kathy9norcal
    19 years ago

Palmetto Sunrise is not a tall grower for me. It stays about a foot and a half tall, no more than 2 feet. It spreads a little sideways but stays a very manageable size here.
    Kathy

19 years ago

How about "What A Peach"? I have this one, it does grow tall, but has lovely peach blooms that dont fade.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

My What a Peach is now over 7' tall and is stingy. It might want in-season pruning or pegging, I think I'll try the latter, but first it's getting moved. It's a Shrub, not a mini, even though the flowers are small.

Is Gingerbread Man too orange?

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Yup, that was definately a picture of Graduation Day, albeit the colour of the blooms was on the older fading side. Most of the Jalbert bred miniatures are incredibly tough and exceptionally hardy. I have several mini's from Jalbert and they are cane hardy here and typically very disease resistant. If old fashioned and frilly type bloom are your thing, then I would recommend his "Patio Wonder" series of mini's.

• Paribear
    19 years ago

Try Nancy Jean, a Queen contender and lovely apricot which can be found at Almost Heaven Roses. Sam Trivitt is a paler apricot but nice as well.

• aaron_zone7
    19 years ago

I second the Nancy Jean nomination. It's an awesome rose that has Michel Cholet in it's parentage. Almost Heaven Roses carries it. It has great form, size, and color.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths