Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Who's ordered Sweet Arlene thanks to Digger&Deb

Finally, after drooling over the pictures of Sweet Arlene, I called Nor'East today and ordered one for spring. Has anyone else ordered Sweet Arlene due to seeing Digger & Deb's pictures?

Comments (24)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I had two of them (one before seeing Dave's photos and one after). You should have seen Ms. Cindi's photos of it, hers was divine! That's what led to my first one. But, like Winter Magic, I can't keep it alive. Shame.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane,
    Thanks for the tidbit about Sweet Arlene's winter tenderness. I'll keep that in mind when I plant it!

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Diane is right :) Even our pics are Cindi's fault. Her photos of Sweet Arlene are the reason we got her :) I sure miss Cindi.

Thanks Diane :) wasn't sure how I was going to get outta that one.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Please, I'm still wondering how you keep yours alive! Either I'm killing it with kindness or...? ;-))

• diggerndeb
    16 years ago

I do everything wrong Diane. I refuse to mound mulch (lawn clippings and leaves shredded by the mower) on them until there is frost in the ground. I only worry about subzero temps damaging them and wait until mid December. Mounding comes off in March when there is little chance of subzero stuff. Can you tell I am an advocate of tough love with roses? I don't try to protect them after the mounding comes off. If they can't take a hard freeze, to heck with them. I refuse to baby roses. Memom taught me when I was a little feller not to kill a rose with kindness. She would take broom to my backside if I didn't mind her. I still mind her. I like roses because they are tough :)
    We are patient with them. I have had to wait until late May to see any signs of life on a few I thought might have died.
    We have only lost one rose since 1998. That was tiny Grace Seward that I talked Richard Sparks into sending me in 2005. He told me it wasn't ready. Grace never got going that year and was dead the next spring. Tough love works for us.

Oooops, almost forgot to mention, I only mound minis the first winter. They get some leaves that blow in and the alyssum mat around them. That description is for minis the first winter and our tender HTs. This will be the 3rd winter for Color Magic. I thought CM was supposed to be too tender for cold zones :)

digger

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Dang it, y'all are just killing me! Must not click on Nor'East link... Ooooh, dang it again, sold out until 4/1 (and I hope that's not an April Fool's Joke!).

• ken_se_fl
    16 years ago

Got my SA years ago when Sue made her trip across the south. Her and Dick spent a few days here at our place while they were waiting for Carol to get here for their trip to Disney. REALLY enjoyed their stay.

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

I'm anxiously awaiting April 1st to visit their site again to order SA. After seeing Deb's & Diggers garden pictures I'm thinking several of the minis will be heading here soon.
    Arlene

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Arlene, LOL, you had to get Sweet Arlene. I believe that is a requirement :) I tease Deb that we have her namesake mini here too,
    {{gwi:1201489}}

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, Digger & Deb, another enabling picture, but I got Hot Tamale last year or I would "have" to order it! Those are beautiful blooms!

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Doh. I was sposta mulch it? It did make it through our coldest-winter-in-a-long-time with some green cane peeking out.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Hot Tamale, another one that I can't keep alive!!!

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Its kind of funny how I learned to treat minis Diane. I didn't think of them as real roses. Deb began getting them in the 90s and I thought of them as annuals. These were the grocery store minis she would see and couldn't resist getting. I never thought they would survive winter. Didn't expect any to be around the next year. Every one survived winter. We still have every one of them she planted back then. The hardiness impressed me. I pretty much had neglected the things. The water and food they got was incidental to feeding the real roses. They didn't get mounded even the 1st winter. We ordered 19 from Tiny Petals in 2001. I thought they might be a bit tender and piled shredded leaves on them that fall. All 19 (including Hot Tamale) are still out there :) I wish all our roses were as tough as our minis.

LOL Michelle, I wouldn't go as far as to say you supposed to cover them :) Ours may do so well in spite of the cover.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Well, I definitely will have to protect Sweet Arlene. I would like to try to keep it.

Dave, do you grow Winter Magic (another on the "Diane's sure-kill" list)?

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

I haven't ever grown Winter Magic. I believe WM has been good for Stan in Colorado. I'll drop him a line and see if he will come by to let you know about the critter. LOL, I know he will and most likely post photos as well.

• colorado_kid
    16 years ago

Hi Diane. I diggers friend Stan from Colorado. I love my WInter Magic bush. It gets to be a good two feet tall and at least that wide here for me. I love her fragrance as well. I don't remember how to post photos here so I will give a link instead.

Stan the Roseman

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Magic

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

Per Nor'East website Sweet Arlene sold out till 2009. Darn it! I really wanted that rose this year. Oh well, I ordered 7 others from them to drown my sorrows.
    Arlene

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Thanks Stan :) I didn't realize WM was one of your favorite 5 roses (from another forum).

LOL Arlene, I couldn't figure out the other roses thing.... it makes perfect sense to Deb :) Wonder if that is why we have minis everywhere there is a bit of room?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Thanks Dave and Stan!

Boo hoo on Sweet Arlene. Must keep vigilant on ordering it in the fall. Now just have to chase after another Winter Magic!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I believe that Sequoia Nursery still has some Winter Magic's. That's where I got mine at a couple of years ago. When I was in there the other day I swore I saw some of these on one of the isles.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Sweet Arlene has had one bloom. I really like the bloom, but love the fragrance! Thanks Diggerdave and Deb!

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

You are very welcome :) Love that fragrance here too. Reckon I should post a warning... Sweet Arlene came through winter great and started the spring 2 feet tall. 15°F weather a few weeks ago didn't slow her down. (it hammered some of the other early starters) I'm afraid there will be more Sweet Arlene photos coming soon.

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

I've got a Sweet Arlene on order from Burlington Rose Nursery, thanks to all of you enablers here! Will do my best to protect her, come winter, thanks to your good information on this forum, too. You are ALL appreciated!