Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The leaves on my mini rose are turning yellow

Posted by shadygarden_co z5 Denver (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 06 at 16:15

Help! My mini roses' leaves are turning yellow. I got a gift potted mini rose for Christmas and want to keep it alive until I can plant it outside. It was doing fine and I repotted it about a week ago, dividing the four plants and putting them in separate pots. They seemed okay, didn't wilt or anything, but now the leaves of the two largest are turning yellow. Could this be caused by spider mites? Or is it from overwatering? Any help would be appreciated. How do you know if you have spider mites?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The leaves on my mini rose are turning yellow

Hi,

It could be both. But they do like to be kept moist, so I dont think thats it. They are very susceptible to spider mites indoors. You should be able to see them clearly by looking closely at the leaves & underneath the leaves. You will see little webs and small red/orange dots on them-those are the mites. They are very hard to treat, you will need a powerful fungicide. Follow the directions on the bottle and follow up if needed. If you dont have mites, let the rose go another day or 2 without water. You may also want to keep it on a moist pebble tray for humidity, but ONLY if you dont have mites. More humidity means more pests. Minis are just difficult to grow indoors for any length of time. Good luck!

Jen

o

See the thread below which contains many of the other threads that can help. It could be overwatering, it could be spider mites (In addition to what Jen said, hold a sheet of white paper under the leaves and shake, if there are little spots that look like pepper, those are spider mites), it could be not enough light.

Help! My indoor mini roses keep dying!

o

Thanks to both Jen and Diane for your prompt advice. I do not have spider mites, apparently, from examining leaves like you said. Also, I think it is likely overwatering because the leaves are yellow on the roses in the plastic pots (two) but not on the ones in the clay pots. The plastic pots came with trays that fit very close and tight so I am going to remove those and put other trays underneath, maybe pebble trays.

Thanks again,

Marlene

o

Marlene,

Ok, that is definetly it. I dont put some of my houseplants in plastic pots if I know they dont like too much water. Go w/the clay, just make sure it doesnt dry out too much.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here