Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought a Clearance Mini in January - Yikes!

Posted by flo_va 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 19:55

I got suckered into buying a pretty little pink mini of unknown heritage sitting on the Lowe's clearance rack. The five plants in there look ok, but high temps are in the upper 30's right now, so I don't really think I can even put the pot outside in the sun, even during the day. I'm actually thinking of creating a makeshift greenhouse for it - would that be ok? Should I attempt to separate them, or give them a little time to adjust to the lower temps? I'm guessing they will die, but I'd love to save them if I could. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Flora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought a Clearance Mini in January - Yikes!

Personally,I would wait till the weather is a little warmer before trying to seperate them.Maybe you could set the pot in a sunny window till it warms up alittle.I have never bought any in winter before,but,I wouldn't put it outside with it in the 30's.

Jean

o

flo_va:

I did the same thing - about 3 weeks ago I rescued an unidentified orange mini from the Lowes "death's-door-going-cheap" rack. When I got it home I took it out of the awful algae-covered mix it was in, and potted it in my standard mix without disturbing it too much. (I lifted it out of its nursery-pot and let fall off what would with a gentle shake, then potted it in new soil - I think I got about a 75% change - the roots are sparse). I then covered the pot with a ziploc, but left the bottom un-zipped. This was a two-stemmer, one is re-sprouting, the other has blackened - saved it with a 50% success rate. Now I just have to wait till it gets a little warmer outside and start the transition process to outdoor plant.

How's your patient?

o

Mini update: I followed the advice of Tenor_peggy found at the link below. I defoliated the plants, left the blooms on and picked off their petals when they were about to drop. I never have any luck keeping minis alive indoors, so I thought my best bet was to get them to go dormant and deal with separation and planting/repotting in the spring. They are currently living happily in my garage in their old pot in an open black plastic bag. I checked the moisture the other day and they looked great - green stems, no new growth. So far, so good! Spring will be another issue, but I'll see what happens when I get there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering potted minis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here