Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_grower

long staying minis

rosie_grower
17 years ago

Help!! I have been growing miniature roses for the past 4-5 years. I have tried many bushes and am still trying to find some varieties that open slowly , but with a beautiful form. Most of mine are beautiful at the bud stage, but as they are blooming they become very pointed at the ends of the petals. I like the petals that stay more like a hybid tea with the edges remaining rounded. The only rose that I have that does that is Vista. I absolutely love that form. I have some other pretty bushes, but they open differently. Hot Tamale opens poitedly, Lavender Crystal opens lovely, but more like an English rose. Sunsprinkles also open a little less to my liking. I had a lovely rose called Santa Claus a few years back, but it was so prone to mildew that I got rid of it. I'm anxious to get some new ones, but I need some help getting some that look like my Vista. I just love cutting it and seeing it in a little vase. It is my kind of style. Any suggestions, anyone?? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• floridaarkansan
    17 years ago

There is a Whit Wells rose called "Memphis King" that holds forever. It is a deep red and has great form. The blooms hold on the bush and as a cut flower. I am not sure if Rosemania has it. CoolRoses.com may have it or know where to get it.

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Check with the folks in the Exhibitor's Forum. They grow minis with the intention of showing them at perfect show form. That usually requires a rose with enough petals to hold its shape attractively for several days and even a week or more.

Some of your best minis for the garden are also great show roses. Exhibitors need lots of blooms too.

I will not make any recommendations that would show my own prejudiced opinion, since I used to sell minis. I have favorites, but most of them were creations of someone close to me...who I cannot mention here. So, I will just refer you to the expert on the Exhibitor's side of this forum.

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Mysterious hanford rose person,
    Could
    {{gwi:1201681}}
    or
    {{gwi:1201275}}
    be among the minis you like? Great see you here minirose!! I have really missed you, MsMary, Cynthia and the gang. Deb and I were talking about y'all the other night. We decided you had a scolding coming for not telling what an excellent rose {{gwi:1201686}} was. That pic was after Deb had gone through and cut a bunch of blooms off Love ya Dad. She loves the fragrance. LyD loves Montana. We have it in a grouping with {{gwi:1201689}} and {{gwi:1201693}} along with {{gwi:1201696}} and {{gwi:1201698}} White Chocolate isn't a bloom factory like the rest of them... yet. People stop their cars driving by and ask about them. Tell Ed we said hi.

Please excuse the hijack rosie grower. I usually just lurk when I come here but hanford rose is a longtime friend I haven't seen in a couple years. Can you tell Deb and I are Dee Bennett miniature rose fans. Don't let hanford rose get away with no recommendation. She is an absolute hoot and her Mom's minis are some of the best out there.

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Another quick hijack...

Been trying for over a week to remember how
    {{gwi:1201701}}
    got her name. BQ has become an excellent rose for us. She may give Ultimate Pleasure a run for the money next year if she improves as much as she did last year.

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

Well, Digger, you figured out Hanford Rose's true identity. For that reason, you understand that I cannot comment on any of the roses shown above, except to say...

Mmmmmm! Yummy Photos!

'Bingo Queen' is named for Carol's mom who loved this rose and picked it to be her namesake. I always called this avid lady gambler the Bingo Queen, because she played bingo at least 3 days per week in the old days.

I will have to call Ms Mary to find out where you, Cynthia and the gang are hiding out online. I have lost all my links to the forums and most of my phone numbers too, since I left Nevada. I've even forgotten how to post photos, and I don't think that my photos would be welcome in the Rose Gallery of the Garden Web. That would be pressing my luck.

Maybe Ms. Mary can tell me where they could be posted. I'm really in trouble! Here I sit with thousands of rose photos, and I can't show any of them. *lol*

Ed say "Hi" back at ya. Give my love to Deb.

Please excuse me TOO for that hijacking, rosie grower. I didn't expect my old buddy, Digger, to find me in your post.

By the way, you might want to ask Digger Dave about minis that last a long time. He is growing 'just a few'. *lol*

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    17 years ago

I second Memphis King. It lasts a long, long time in a vase or on the bush. Kimbrew-Walters in TX probably has it, also. I use to be a mini-snob and now I love to make small arrangements and add a piece of Baby's Breath! Some of my favorites are: Soroptomist International, Bees Knees, Conundrum, and Ty.

• rosie_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everybody!!!!

I've been waiting for a response from anyone, and thought that it would come directly to my email until my husband told me that I should be checking the garden forum!!! So here I am. Obviously I am not the computer person I should be. But... practice makes perfect.. or so my mother used to say. I am so happy that I got some responses as well as some pictures, too. Am I correct in my observation that Bingo queen and Ultimate Pleasure open a little more pointedly than some of the others?? Also, is there a mini with a Double Delight look (white with a bright red edge)to it? I want to place an order for my new ones, and have spent endless hours perusing every website I can think of to find good selections.
    I am very grateful for all of your reponses. I hope you will keep in touch. I'm sure I'll be pestering with more silly questions.

Which is the more perfect form for a red one..Memphis Queen or Love ya Dad?

The pictures were absolutely beautiful!!! I'll have to learn how to do that!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Here are some red blends that would coordinate well with Double Delight: Hilde, Fancy Pants, Iced Raspberry, Liberty Bell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search at Helpmefind.com

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Rosie, your email isn't listed on your profile here should someone want to contact you by email.
    Here's a photo of Jacquie Williams.

Leslie

• bodiCA
    17 years ago

Hi Hanford! Do you remember me? Thanks to you getting me off to an excellent informed start, I am still loving my roses and continue to collect more. Hello to MsMary too! Sadly the voles took her rose a few months ago. I have thought of you so often through the years and what a fantastic surprise to learn you are married to a pastor! Happiness and laughter to you both! Hugs!!!
    Rosie, two mini's I gro that stay rounded are Cafe ole and Baby Austin. I have never made a specific mental note of pointed petals but now I will notice as spring bloom begins.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I just got Butter Cream and Peter Cottontail recently, two sister seedlings, purchased from Almost Heaven. I think Two Sisters also has them. Love,love,love!!! the form and color of Butter Cream! PC hasn't bloomed yet for me, but it's supposed to have very similar form to BC.

If Memphis King is going to be mentioned, don't forget from the same breeding line, I think, Memphis Magic and it's color sport, Memphis Music. I bought some of them as cut flowers from our fall show last November, and the blooms were exquisite in color and form and lasted over 2 weeks. Then, I let them dry out and they still looked great as dried flowers! So I bought a baby Memphis Music, but it will be a few months before it's putting out much in the way of blooms. I can hardly wait.

Rosie Grower, if you're looking for a Double Delight look-alike, two to consider are Luscious Lucy (look it up on the Rosemania website) and Regina Lee (from Two Sisters or Almost Heaven). Both have a good blend of creamy white and strawberry red or pink and great form--no "pointy-ness" that I can see. :)

Mike

Sponsored