Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How and when to prune mini rose bushes

Posted by Angeleyz4ever ND (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 3:22

How and when should mini rose bushes be pruned?
I've read that when they are not fully open and wilting? Please help this is the 4th mini rose bush my loving man has got me for Valentine's day the 1st one we spent together. In 2006 I would LOVE to actually keep this one alive for as long as possible. PLEASE HELP WITH INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL. Thank You a million.
I have read and plan to start the transplanting process tomorrow. So far this is by far the best information I have found, even better then ANY friend and family advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How and when to prune mini rose bushes

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 12:24

Pruning is not the problem. It's keeping it in the house that's causing them to die. Roses are not house plants...EVER! These little gift minis are grown and sold as florist roses and the growers actually mean for them to be disposable. That's not to say they need to be. They're regular roses and if planted out in the garden and given proper care can and do grow for many years.

For right now you need to just remove all the spent blooms, nothing more. Put it in the most light you can find in your house. Find a tray of some kind (I've used cake pans) and fill the bottom with pebbles. Put water in the pebbles to just below their tops and place the pot on top of the pebbles. You do not want any water to be touching the bottom of the pot. This will raise the humidity around the rose without over watering it. Be careful to keep it just damp and never soggy wet. Hopefully you'll be able to keep it going this way until spring when you can get it outside. It will do so much better out there.

o
RE: How and when to prune mini rose bushes

Ty you very much for your fast response this will be my next step thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here