Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

Speaking of Sweet Chariot...

idixierose
19 years ago

What size hanging basket would be good for Sweet Chariot? I plan to put two bushes in each basket.

I've been looking at the 16" hanging baskets with coir liners and a wicket basket with plastic lining at Lowes. I'm wondering if the coir basket would be a good choice or if they would dry out too quickly.

I'd like something more attractive than the common 12" plastic hanging pots.

Comments (10)

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

DixieRose,

Coir lined baskets will work just fine but you will need to water at least once every two days and in your zone, maybe every morning. SC is pretty vigorous so you will only need a single SC per 16" container. It will eventually fill the entire container and will hang down over.

Here's some pic's of my sweet chariots from early last year hanging in similiar container's against a fence on my patio.

If you only see an X,you may need to right click on it and then left click on "show picture" in order to see it.

{{gwi:1202042}}

{{gwi:1202043}}

{{gwi:1202044}}

{{gwi:1202045}}

• idixierose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What a beauty, Marden Man!
    I hope mine grow up to look as fine as yours.

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Thanks Dixierose. If you really want to see just how vigorous (huge!!!) and floriferous Sweet Chariot can be, i think, if memory serves me correct, DiggerDave has a picture with the finest example of Sweet Chariot I have ever seen in my life.

My pics were from some young own root plants that I put in the hanging baskets in late spring. They easily quadrupled in size and suckered everywhere. They were planted in the garden in the fall, as a border plant to the walkway of my front door. I can only hope that they will one day look like that picture I mentioned.

Anyway, you'll love Sweet Chariot. It is a charming mini.

• diggerdave
    19 years ago

Thanks MM :) SC puts on a pretty good show for us. We don't have ours in a pot so I can't help. We would need hang a half barrel to fit ours into a pot.

• homenovice
    19 years ago

So Morden Man, you're saying SC will spread?

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Home Novice,

If grown on its own roots and well fed, you better believe it will.... This is what makes it ideal in hanging baskets as it will cascade over the sides and the blooms weigh down the canes. Green Ice is even more vigorous in this respect.

• idixierose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

After everything y'all have said, I'm getting excited about growing SC. Back in November, I ordered 4 plants from Bridges. Yesterday I ordered two SC tree roses from Sequoia.
    I was kinda disappointed to learn that the standard is only 15 inches tall. I bet SC would look better on a 24-inch. However Sequoia appears to be the only source for SC as a tree rose.

• kathy9norcal
    19 years ago

Mine is a mini standard. In ground. It spreads about 5 feet across. No kidding. I need to put stakes around it. You don't even know it is a little tree. It was not happy in a pot.
    Kathy

It is the huge thing in the center.

• homenovice
    19 years ago

Wow, Kathy!
    Thanks for the gorgeous pic. I had gotten two SCs thinking they'd be keeping each other company in front of some HTs.... silly me.

• roseblush1
    19 years ago

I had Sweet Chariot on a four foot standard. It made an incredible weeping tree rose. I also grow it in a large pot. It's an incredible rose in that it seems to adapt very well to almost any size pot you put it in, but if you can let it spread out, or place the pot on a pedestal, you are in for a waterfall of roses all season.

Smiles,

Lyn

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company