Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveisroses

Help me select Please

loveisroses
17 years ago

There are soooo many beautiful mini's to choose from but I am most interested in winter hardiness as well as resistance to black spot. I would appreciate help in making my selections. Pictures would be an added delight.

gabrielle

Comments (19)

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi,

Wish I could help you, but I have no idea what might make it through a z4 winter! You might ask in the main rose forum - maybe one of the far north folks on the forum will pipe in.

There are several minis rated for z4, I tried to buy several that are z4 rated last season. However, I have no idea yet how things overwintered. It wasn't colder than -5 this season, so it's not any help at all for your conditions.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• loveisroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Michelle for your response! Best of luck with your new minis. Hope they overwintered for you. Keep in touch.

Gabrielle

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

I live in zone 5, Central Illinois. I have never covered my minis in over 30 years. We have some nasty winters and the minis come thru great every year. This winter I had some minis that still had some leaves on them!
    As far as blackspot???? I spray to prevent it. I show roses so organic sprays are out for me!

• priszm
    17 years ago

Try help me find. (Just type it into google) If I remember right, you can search based on zone.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Gaby, you ought to talk to Missflippins over on the Rose Gallery is where she mostly seems to be. Though I think she's zone 7 in Canada she grows a large number of minis and has a nursery supplier for minis in BC that she likes to use. You can contact her by email if you like or ask her on one of her threads over there now. She has several up right now with roses and monitors them. I always felt bad I couldn't help you choose minis, now I can help you out, a little:) She's really very nice and wouldn't mind helping you, she gave me the name of several mini climbers today, not sure I can find them in them US though:)
    Leslie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

You can also try the Canadian Rose Society page, click on the link on the left for "Recommended Roses", then scroll down. There are several recommended for zones 4 & 5.

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Sweet Chariot
    {{gwi:1201027}}
    and Little Artist
    {{gwi:1202085}}
    only get tip damage here. We usually get to -20°F but rarely colder.
    Magic Carrousel
    {{gwi:1202086}}
    is almost as tough. The rest have varying degrees of cane dieback. I'll put a link to our mini album below. If you see any that interest you I'll let you know how they do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deb & Digger's Minis

• loveisroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Leslie and Diane, thank you very much for your help!
    DiggernDeb, your pictures have me drooling. Your album of roses is spectacular and I now have MANY that are on my wish list.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Gabrielle, what is on your list now:) Out of curiosity and for fun?? And when traditionally is the time you'll be able to get out and be able to plant?
    Leslie

• loveisroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Leslie, the mini's I have ordered should arrive mid May. Hopefully all the snow will be gone by then...sigh.
    The roses ordered are my first time ever mini's..I am so excited.

Anita Russell
    Rainbow's End
    Black Jade
    Cupcake
    Fragrant Morning
    Ingrid
    Loving Touch
    Sweet Chariot
    Graduation Day
    Riverdance
    X-Rated
    Snow Bride
    Irresistable
    Hot Tamale
    Cider Cup
    Carley
    Wind Rythm

My wish list for next year is ever enlarging as people enable me with their gorgeous photo's ...like yourself :)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I'm not familiar with all of the ones on your list but the ones I am, you've got a really nice bunch of minis coming:) You're going to be rather busy when they all arrive, but oh what fun for you! They should arrive with buds and/or roses blooming on them if that makes the anticipation any greater:) At least in the states they would. So you only have another month to go....I'll have to look up some of these others you're getting. Sorry about that enabling, I've got more blooming and about to bloom:)

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

It isn't enabling if you already have them ordered, right?
    Irresistible is one of the best roses I have ever grown.
    {{gwi:1201275}}
    I did say roses and not minis. Irresistible is tough here and comes through winter like a champ.
    Hot Tamale
    {{gwi:1202087}}
    is one of our best minis and has been since 2001. HT has taken winter well every year for us and is among the first to bloom.
    Loving Touch
    {{gwi:1202088}}
    was tender the first few years (planted in 2001). LT has done much better the last 3 winters.
    You have seen our SC and XR so I won't bog this down with more pics of them. I should add one more to the winter hardy list though. Hanky Panky
    {{gwi:1202089}}
    is giving Starina a run for the money to be the first to bloom here. Starina has always been the first to bloom of our big minis. Hanky Panky had almost no cane dieback and is covered with leaves. HP is planted in a very exposed spot and I don't think this spring is a fluke. Did I mention
    {{gwi:1202090}}
    before? There is a reason Starina is in the mini Hall of Fame.

• loveisroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diggerndeb, huge smile! You brightened my morning with those gorgeous pics of my soon to grow babies..sigh..if only that snow would all melt away and the weather turn warmer.
    Hanky Panky and Starina are gorgeous with that exquisite hybrid tea bloom. I checked in Classic Miniatures but Hanky Panky was nowhere to be found. Do you have any idea who may sell her up in Canada?

Cheers
    Gabrielle

• ladybutterfly
    17 years ago

Digger, Your roses are so beautiful!!

Dan, I live in Chicago. I was surprised you had still had leave on your minis. We had it pretty cold here in Chicago for weeks this pass winter..-30 windchill without snow.
    I would love to know how you take care of your roses since you live in the same area and show roses. Hope it is okay to ask!!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hey Digger, I've got one bloom on Irresistible and another bud. It wants to look like yours when it grows up too:) Beautiful photos, I've had Gemini run the gamut in colors now, sigh...what a beautiful rose:) Gabrielle likes enabling:) She's looking for ones that will grow in her zone and might stand up to her cold. You don't know anything about Winter Magic do you in your zone? She liked the pic of that one. I told her about Sweet Arlene. Have you already shown her photos of Sweet Arlene and told her about the fragrance? Course, Ladybutterfly might like some enabling too, especially if you've got any that have a greenish hue, LOL* I hope your weather has gotten better.

Gaby, I found one for you at Greenheart or Nor'East, but it'll cost you to get it shipped to you. I'll keep looking for another source, no idea in Canada, sorry. Email and ask Missflippins, she might have an idea for you.
    Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanky Panky

• loveisroses
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you once again Leslie ..:-)
    Talk about enabling!!

Cheers
    Gabrielle

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone :)
    Posting pics of roses ordered is one thing...
    {{gwi:1202091}}
    but posting pics of a fragrant killer like
    {{gwi:1202092}}
    would just be mean...

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Oh just gorgeous Digger, I have two blooms on Sweet Arlene yesterday, BTW, I forgot about that:) Thank you for posting these. It is mean of me to tease Gabrielle, especially since I looked up shipping alone from Greenheart would be about $30 if they would ship to her in Canada.

I keep forgetting that, sorry, Gabrielle.

• rosie_grower
    17 years ago

Good luck, Gabrielle,

Everyone here has been so helpful to me, as I see they are to you. I can't tell you as much as the other incredibly knowledgeable rose people out there, but I have some minis that are favorites...Vista has such a beautiful form, I just love it. Hot Tamale has incredible color. Baby grand has a unique old rose type form, and I just got Renny which is so different. Lavender crystal is outstanding. I had Santa Claus at one point and I loved the form and color, but I had a horrible time with powdery mildew. Maybe someone out there can give me a good substitute. I do no know how to post pictures yet, I'm waiting for my husband to find some time to show me. Then I can share with you. I think you have found some very good helpers!
    Good luck,
    Andrea

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living