Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightgardener_gw

Mini Suggestions Needed

midnightgardener
15 years ago

I have a small space, about 5 feet long by 2 feet wide, that has a mini rose in the middle of the space. I want to put two more minis on either side of the existing mini. The roses I am looking for must meet these requirements:

1. Must grow in partial shade (4 to 5 hours of sun).

2. Must not grow more than 1 1/2 feet high.

3. Must not grow more than 2 feet in diameter.

4. Must be hybrid tea like (the bloom).

5. Must have a fragrance.

6. Must not be red or any flavor of red.

So now that I have eliminated most roses out there, any good suggestions?

Comments (11)

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

With that amount of requirements, may I suggest you use the advance search on HMF. I found quite a few minis that are shade tolerant. Two of the three I have on order from Nor'East are listed in HMF as shade tolerant, but one is red and the other is red and white striped.

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

I'd suggest Herbie, it grows with a min of sun very nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbie

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

lesdvs9

Do you grow Herbie? HMF does not state it is shade tolerant, but then again maybe no one has let the great folks at HMF know about it. I too am always looking for roses that do well in about 4 hour of sun.

Liz

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Yes, I do, I grow it in about 4-6 hours of sun. I know from an expert source that it will grow in less sun, which is why I got it, she recommended it to me. I'm considering getting another for a spot with less sun further back in that flower bed. I can't get any other plants to grow there. My pics of it are in HMF. I had a terrible summer last year and it still flourished in the heat. I don't know where you are but I'm south of Fresno where Sequoia Nursery used to be.

I'll look again and see if she mentioned any others that would do well in less sun and get back to you.
    Les

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Les

Thanks, That would be great! I have Earthquake and Starina on order as HMF has them as shade tolerant. My back yard get about 4 to 5 hr of sun and it is small. I have a few hybrid musks but I can't get anymore since they are big. I would like more roses to keep in containers. I am on the mid-atlantic coast and it can get really hot and humid here in the summer. Herbie looks like it could be a rose for the shows as well.

Liz

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

I did go and look for you and came up with another Dee Bennett rose, Leslie. It can make do with 3-4 hours of sun. I grow this also and have to admit I never check for fragrance which it's supposed to have a little. I grow a rose on whether I like it or not:) I resisted this one for a couple of years because of the name until the same person talked me into getting it because it was such a good rose. It does get up to 3' tall. But if you're also looking for roses for pots too, this one would work for you. I had two, one in the ground and a 2nd in a large container that I grew and gave to a friend as a gift. If you're that interested I think I have some bush pics I haven't loaded to HMF yet. This is a strong growing mini, no disease problems. Herbie doesn't either. Expert tells a story about that one, trying to give it a disease and they weren't able to. These are the two minis I was given personal references by this person on.

BTW I grow Green Ice in a container in about that amount of sun on the north side of the house year round. But, that's not a HT looking rose. The only other shorter roses I have catching the least amount of sun are hybrid bracteatas, Out Of The Night and Precious Dream. Haven't figured out how much sun they really get but don't think it's much more than 6 hours and that might be filtered, they're against the house in front. These could be grown in large containers.
    Les

Here is a link that might be useful: Leslie

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Les

Thanks again! I will put Herbie and Leslie on the next to be ordered list. Green Ice has a unique color and I may look at that one as well. I too grow roses because I like them whether they have scent or not and if they can be shown or not. I have a eclectic mixture from shrubs to minis. I purchased Golden Buddha (a hybrid bracteata) last fall and it is still in my cold frame waiting until after we usually have our last frost in mid March. The other class of roses I understand that are still small enough for containers are the Polyanthas. I have 2 sitting in my cold frame and will see just how much sun they really need.

Thanks again
    Liz

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Hey you're welcome, remember Green Ice isn't just pale color and pale green, it has pink regularly in it too. This is one of my fav pics, I have it noted for 7/3/08 and 98o that day. I believe that temps play a big part in some roses coloring if not all of them, but some roses even more.

Midnightgardener, sorry for the hijack....
    Les

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Midnightgardner, dito from me. Although, I have found some great info in hijacked threads. Hopfully you got some good suggestions.

Les

Wow, I did not realize Green Ice will also have shades of pink. The one I saw at our rose show had shades of white and green.
    One other mini I have on order is the Ralph Moore mini, Blue Mist (ordered from Ashdown Roses). I do not think it is shade tolerant but that is the great thing of planting in containers...you can always move it to another section of the yard and see how the rose does.

Thanks again
    Liz

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Hey Liz, Green Ice routinely has pink for me as well as green, most buds are pink opening to green and can be pink on the outside. Could be a location thing what colors are. Awhile back someone told a friend that a pic of hers similarly to mine couldn't possibly be Green Ice. It is, she got hers also from Sequoia Nursery and I've haunted that nursery for years:)

Anyways, came back to tell you that I was researching a rose and came across Blue Mist awhile back. You are aware this is more like a polyantha than a mini? I considered it myself and then decided against it when I found out how large it can get. Let me know how well it does for you though, this is one of my favorite colors and I did like the looks of it too. I found this info at Vintage and linked it for you. Don't know what you found at Ashdown, info at HMF is kind of scanty on this rose.
    Les

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Mist

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Les

I think location and the weather play a lot on shading and color of rose blooms. Ashdown has Blue Mist as a mini with a shub growth habit to about 3ft. So I think that would pretty well describe a polyantha growing habit. But that could be a good thing as polyanthas on a whole like the hybrid musks seem to grow well even with less sun. As I had said before, my roses are a real mixture and some I grow to hopfully show and others because I just like them.

You are so lucky to be so close to Sequoia! Right now Ashdown is the closest to me and it is 8hr away. Hartwood Roses will be opening next year and they will be about 3 hrs away.

Liz

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County