Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen99_gardener

New to mini roses...need help with container

karen99-gardener
14 years ago

Hi,

I live in a duplex and will be growing mini roses in containers. I posted on the rose forum and received a suggestion that I grown mini roses in containers. I have bought Winsome, and I am seeking personal experience with the rose and any suggestions about what size container to purchase.

Thank you

Karen

Comments (11)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Karen

I do not have Winsome. However I have all my minis in containers so I can at least answer the size question. I looked Winsome up and at will not get real tall so I would suggest at least a 5gal pot or larger. I would recommend using a good potting mix to plant the rose in.

I use the plastic pots but you can use really anything just remember that if the pot has an attach catch tray you will need to remove it as roses like good drainage.

Liz

• majenta
    14 years ago

Karen, since nobody has answered you yet, I will tell you what I do with my miniatures. Just to let you know I'm not an authority on the subject, as I'm quite sure there are lots of opinions and ways to grow them in containers.

When I purchase a miniature rose it is usually in a 3-4 inch pot which will dry out very quickly so the first thing I do is to pot it up into a one gallon container ( I have lots of these from purchasing other plants) and leave it in the one gallon pot until it has a really good root system. It's easy to tell how much root there is by checking the holes in the bottom of the pot. Once I feel the roots have filled (or almost) the pot, I then plant it up again into a larger container-probably at least double the size. I like a large display in my pots and since my climate is such that we have a shorter growing season, I mostly put three to a large container. The miniatures seem to like the company and so far mine have done very well for me.

When I pot the rose I put about one-third good potting mix (pro-mix is my favourite) and add a handful of my own organic mix ( alfalfa, kelp meal, bone meal, blood meal etc) and then top up the pot with more good potting mix. I then plant the miniature using about one tablespoon bonemeal - super phosphate would do as well. I water the new planting in very well to make sure the potting mix comes into close contact with the roots, and just watch and water as necessary for at least 2-3 weeks. I really like a slow release fertilizer on my pots as I truly believe otherwise it's feast or famine. Since the pots need a lot of water, fertilizer is leached through quite quickly. Once the roots find the nice little meal of organics, they seem to jump out of the pot. I like to pamper my mini's and throughout the growing season, I treat them to a liquid fertilizer ( fish is good or 20-20-20 ) occasionally, and if the leaves are looking a little pale in colour I will treat them to a little iron chelate. I also mulch the top of the pots to help keep them from drying out.

If you find the pots dry out too quickly, a neat trick is to use a double pot - a smaller pot inside a larger one with peat or something else between the pots to act as insulation. I think when growing plants in containers, the secret is to never let them dry out. You may not kill the rose, but it will pout for a long time.

I hope this helps.

• majenta
    14 years ago

Sorry Liz, I must have been working on my post and didn't notice you had already replied. My apologies!

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

majenta
    No apology needed. It has happened to me before as well. BTW, I love your container rose garden!! I hope this year because my roses are older they will look half a good as yours. I also like seeing that you are also using plastic pots as well. I find they are so much easier to move around.

Karen,
    As you can see from majenta's pic, it is easy to grow roses in continers. I also find the smaller Shrub roses and Floribunds look great in the larger pots as well.

Liz

• karen99-gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Majenta and Liz thanks so much for your advice! I appreciate any help. Majenta your container roses are beautiful. I hope mine turn out as well as yours. Any suggestions on pot color? I live in a light gray duplex and the chairs and table are black. Also, could you suggest a larger rose that is a good repeat bloomer and go with Winsome (dark pink).

• majenta
    14 years ago

Karen, thank you for your kind words. Growing roses in containers can be fun if you pay close attention to them. Gosh, with grey and black any colour would be great, the brighter the better I think. I don't worry too much about colour coordinating in the garden as I think in nature all colours compliment each other. The only large rose I grow in a pot is Playgirl, a pretty pink floribunda that produces lovely sprays all summer long for me. In my opinion the best roses for pots is floribundas and the shorter more compact ones make the nicer display. You don't want a tall gangly bush in a pot. It would be hard for me to suggest a particular cultivar to you as it will depend on what is available to you where you live.

It would be nice if someone closer to you could help you out by suggesting a place to find a floribunda. Since I'm at the other end of the world from you (well almost!), the roses available to me may not be easy for you to find.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Good luck.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Karen

I have great luck with the Floribundas as well and the smaller shrub roses such as the smaller Austin look good in pots as well. Sometimes you can find them locally at the small garden shops in the early spring. And they are usually from J&P, Weeks and Star Roses. I prefer to buy my roses from the smaller indpendent owned rose nurseries, as they grow their own and really know their roses. What state do you live in because if you are on the east coast there are some very good places to order from or you may be close enough to visit in person. Let me know and I can at least give you some suggestions.

Liz

• karen99-gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Liz and Majenta! I I have relocated from a small town in Arkansas to Central Arkansas. I haven't visited the nurseries here yet. I plan to do that in the next couple of weeks. I use to live in house and had several gardens, but I had only a few annuals in pots. I appreciate your help. Will look at smaller Austins and Flori..
    Karen

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Karen

I do not know of any rose nurseries in Akansas, however there are some in Texas such as Chamblees and Antique Rose Emporium. In OK there is Two Sisters Roses. There are others all over the country and all ship.

I would recommend checking out the wed site, Helpmefind roses and if you see roses you like they will list where you can find it. Also check Daves Garden watch dog web site as they are a great place to see if the nursery you want to do business with is on the up and up.

Liz

• radagast
    14 years ago

Wow, those roses look great in those containers!

• karen99-gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Liz! I appreciate everyones help.
    Karen

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz