Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

Desperately Seeking Orange mini

daleyc
15 years ago

Hi

I have been scouring the books and the web. I've found plenty of orange minis that look like a true orange or burnt orange but when I investigate them further on sites like HMF the colors never show true. This problem extends to books and other web sites as well.

So I'm looking to you as fellow mini growers to share your orange experiences.

Thanks so much!

Dale

Comments (23)

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

I grow a few orange blends that I like, cooler months they are darker than very warm months. Read warm to be 90-100+.
    Orange Honey,
    Ring Of Fire,
    Roseketeer, I don't think that's what you're looking for.
    Thanks To Sue is a mini flora and more a peach though,
    Hanky Panky,
    These two are Hybrid Bracteatas not minis, 2 to 3'Tall or so, depending on where you live.
    Tangerine Jewel and
    Julie Link

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks lesdvs9!
    The Roseketeer might just do the trick
    Take Care!

Dale

• soonerd2000
    15 years ago

orange parfait is a light orange and i like tangerine twist

• joebar
    15 years ago

if you could splurge for a mini climber, why dont you try warm welcome? it is a true orange with single petals, strong fragrance and produces hips in the fall. very robust and nearly the perfect rose in my opinion.

• trospero
    15 years ago

Work of Art and Orange Honey are both good oranges.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey folks

Thanks for the sggestions! Unfortunately I can not use 'warm welcome" as it is a climber.. "work of art' is said to be a climber as well and I live in a condo and while i can go out left and right, i can't go up.
    Trosbero, it seems that 'Work of art' is a climber and Orange Honey, too yellow

Thanks anyway and Take Care!

Dale

• trospero
    15 years ago

I guess it depends what you call "orange". In my garden, 'Orange Honey' is orange, not yellow. Perhaps 'Orange Parfait' is more what you're looking for.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

How about Starina!

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Well, if you can't find "Susan", you might as well have a nice orange mini rose. Hope you find one you like!

Randy

• studaddy
    15 years ago

Rocky Top is a good orange mfl.

• countryrose
    15 years ago

I grow Denver's Dream which is a fantastic orange mini that everyone who loves the colour orange should grow! It is a bloom machine with wonderful resistance to BS. Here is a link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Denver's Dream

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's great to know Countryrose as Denver's Dream is what i've been thinking of going with. Have you heard of Top Marks? That's another orange i've been thinking about
    Thanks for your help!

Dale

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

I've only seen Top Marks once, but it stopped me in my tracks and I quickly took a photo of it. The plant was not very tall, but it was just covered in bright orange blooms.

It sounds like you can't go wrong with either choice. In fact, why not get one of each? There's always room for another miniature.

• countryrose
    15 years ago

Dale, Top Marks is gorgeous but only grows about a foot in my garden whereas Denver's Dream is nearly 3 feet. Warm Welcome and Work of Art of both climbers but if grown up a tripod, they would do well for you as the canes are very flexible and easily trained. Best of luck with your final selection!

Dana

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks countryrose!
    you're the 1st person i've 'met' who has seen Top Marks. I'm so glad you like it.
    perhaps i will have to do both!
    Take Care!
    Dale

• countryrose
    15 years ago

Dale, below is a link where I purchase most of my mini babies which of course includes Top Marks and the others mentioned.
    I think you should also consider a mini climber on a tripod :)

Dana

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Marks and Others

• jont1
    14 years ago

I will have to second Denver's Dream for an orange mini. My bush grows to about 3' tall every year and is a true bloom machine. It also is very healthy and seems to be winter hardy as well. It had four very large and healthy canes left after I Spring pruned everything this past week. The orange color doesn't fade badly like many orange and yellows tend to do.
    I would recommend this Denver's Dream rose to anyone looking for a good orange mini.
    John

• peter_rabbit
    14 years ago

Denver's Dream is good.

Other's that are also good are:
    Cheer Up
    Autumn Dawn
    Orange Classic
    Pride 'n' Joy

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

This year I'm trying Hope and Joy from Nor'East Roses. Its petals are red-orange with white trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope and Joy, Nor'East Roses

• trospero
    14 years ago

The Hope and Joy photo at Nor'East isn't quite correct: the true color is more of a raspberry red with a white reverse. Just FYI. Its a very good rose, by the way.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't thank you all enough! You've given me so many options. Now I have to choose.

Yikes!

Thank you again!

Dale

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

Thanks trospero! I was looking for an orange color, but raspberry will work too. I'm glad to know it's been a good rose for you. The 15" height is perfect for my front row.

• harlane1
    14 years ago

Radiant is a very vibrant pure orange

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm