Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clearance Mini.. Needs Work?

Posted by alaskanamazon Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 18:13

My boyfriend bought me this little rose last night. It was on clearance for $1.
I've never grown a rose before (though I've been gardening for 10+ years) so I want to be sure I don't kill it.
Does it need pruned back? Repotted? It's in a 4" pot now and somewhat rootbound.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clearance Mini.. Needs Work?

Nice buy there.

What you need to do is plant it in your garden asap or it has little chance of survival. You can plant as long as the ground there isnt frozen. They make poor houseplants, needing very full sunlight, humidity, moist soil & they get spider mites very easily. Give it a shower once a week. You dont need to prune it til next year if you're planting outside. Even then just a light trimming is fine for minis. Make sure the middle is not crowded to prevent disease. You may need to spray with fungicide in cases of mildew, blackspot etc. Minis are quite hardy. Keep well watered. Good luck with your new plant!

Jen

o

Hi. The thread at the link below contains links to three other threads that discuss these minis. Jen's right, you need to get it outside ASAP, they are really not well suited for growing inside. Hope these help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Help! My indoor mini roses keep dying!

o

Thanks for the advice but I live in an apartment and don't have a garden.
As far as humidity goes I grow almost nothing but high humidity plants (Drosera, Pinguicula, Nepenthes, etc) and have never had a problem with humidity levels. All my other plants are also strictly full sun plants and I live in a south facing apartment.
So theres no way it will survive long enough to go out on the balcony in spring?

o

yes it will survive long enough to place out on your balcony but repot it and place it with the other full sun plants until you can take it outside.

o

• Posted by
    mrs.bradley 10?
    (gw:mrs.bradley) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 10:32

I keep my minis indoors. I have one of those "uv"type bulbs in my lamp and place them under it for about 6 hours daily.
for fungus,use a mixture of about 1 half tsp. baking soda,1tsp. oil soap in a spray bottle of plain water and spray soil and all every 2 weeks or so. keep them moist,not wet and every now and then, place a warm fan facing it from across the room (6 feet or so ) to promote the warm temps. that roses like and circulate the air around it. Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here