Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning minis?

Posted by gardeniarose z10FL/Palm Beach Gar (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 18:50

Is it necessary to prune miniature roses for maximum air circulation to avoid powdery mildew and other fungal diseases. I keep my regular rose bush pruned and "open" for this reason but when examining the mini I just bought, I wouldn't know where to start pruning...there are so many tiny stems and leaves and they are all crammed so close together. Are minis as prone to fungal diseases as other roses?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning minis?

Yes, most of them have the same disease problems as larger roses (note that many "minis" have one or more of the roses in a larger class somewhere along the breed line). Some people just take a hedge clipper to them. I cut some off of the top, and then do more selective pruning. It is fairly easy to see which canes are the strongest, thickest. Those are the ones to use to measure against, and take out anything that is much thinner. Anything too thin won't support new growth in any case, and should be taken out. And always remove any canes that are diseased, damaged or dead.

o
RE: Pruning minis?

Thanks for the reply, Diane. This is my first experience with a mini rose. The one I have is so full of tiny, thin canes and stems with loads of tiny leaves that are so crammed together. There are just a few thicker stronger canes. I guess it's never been pruned! It's blooming like crazy, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here