Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpetal_gw

New minis: most of the leaves have fallen off

pinkpetal
17 years ago

I have just received a mini rose for Valentines' Day and now it's not doing to well. (The tag names it as a Parade Rose.) First, all the bottom leaves have fallen off! I may have over watered and am trying to let it dry a little before watering it again. Also, it seems to have that powdery mildew I've read about in the forum. I don't think I can put it outside yet because it's still pretty cold here.

Any ideas about what to do first? Repot? Treat mildew? Cut it and let it go dormant outside? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'd really love my new mini roses to live until I can get them outside in the spring. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• pinkpetal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, I'm in zone 7. Sorry.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi,

Hopefully you are not keeping a saucer under it? Is it draining freely when you water it?

How cold is it outside for your low temperatures?

I would definitely treat it for PM immediately. I think the Cornell formula treats PM, and it's easy to mix a batch up and mist it on the plant.

Do you ultimately want it in the ground or potted? If you want to keep it potted, you could pot it up into a larger pot now. I wouldn't cut it back unless it's really diseased and it's a last ditch effort to save it.

If your low temps are usually above 32 at night, you should be able to harden it off for a week or so (bring it in at night if it's going to be cold). Then you could plant it or leave the pot outside in a sheltered location outdoors.

It should do OK.

Cheers,
    Michelle
    (in z5-6, with tooooo many potted roses at the moment)

• pinkpetal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for your information!
    At first, the water wasn't draining freely but now I've learned better. I'm gonna go ahead and treat the powedery mildew then replant it.
    Our lows get down to about 32 each night. If I were to leave the pot outside and bring it in at night, should I expect them to start looking sadder unstead of healthier until spring?
    Thanks so much for your advice!

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Your plant should look healthier as soon as you have found what it needs to be 'happy' - it should put out new leaves first thing. If you have some kind of light that you can put a flourescent bulb in, the plant would appreciate ~15 hours of light a day. For a single plant, you could just put a flourescent bulb in a desk light or some other small portable light, and then either use a timer just give it extra light each evening.

I would plan to water daily. Hopefully the plant is in a nice light potting mix that does not stay heavy and boggy? The mix I am using stays moist due to the peat and coir content, but it's light (does that make sense?). It does NOT contain any soil - it's a soilless mix which the plants seems to like.

DH got me some minis from Nor'East for Valentine's Day and they were repotted within a few days of receipt, sulked for a few days, and are actively growing now. I am setting them outside every day that it's above 40 degrees and inside during day. My windowsills in the sunroom are full with other roses, so these two have to go out to get some extra sunshine.

Just keep them watered and don't forget them outside if it's really cold or super windy. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• pinkpetal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great advice!

I've had them outside during the day for two days now and they're starting to grow so many new leaves. Of the four in the pot, it looks like one has died but that one has never looked healthy. The rest are healthier than ever.

I'll repot them next week with a better mix and hopefully they will keep growing.

Thanks so much!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Link below to an older thread with additional information.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to save a potted gift rose

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor