Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maureenpm00

Please suggest your one favorite mini

maureenpm00
19 years ago

Hi. I have NO mini's --- so I have to continue on with my rose addiction and order at least one mini.

I saw Tenorpeggy's post looking for a climbing mini and fell in love with "work of art". I also fell in love with Jeanne Lajoie. Any comments on these 2?

What is your favorite mini?

Also, does mini mean flower size, or overall bush size???

Comments (32)

• maureenpm00
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Woops, didn't see the post below that has 36 responses to mini's. I'm going to read it now.

• Vic007
    19 years ago

Miniature refers to bloom size. Overall bush size of some climibing varieties can exceed 10' although most are 2' or less in height. My favorites are Minnie Pearl, Amy Grant, Breath of Spring, Miss Flippins, Hot Tamale & Incognito.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Incognito, and it needs spraying.

• the_morden_man
    19 years ago

Minnie Pearl

That was a tough choice though as there are so many good ones.

• maureenpm00
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Vic, Diane and the Morden Man.

I'm not sure what to go with -- but I love Minnie Pearl, jeanne Keanelly.

• steve_gw
    19 years ago

Bees Knees closely followed by Incoginito

• Kentucky_Lad
    19 years ago

Mine is Autumn Splendor, but it's a MiniFlora. It grow very well and the blooms are breath taking. It will get around 3 feet tall.

• colorado_kid
    19 years ago

Orange Parfait, very closely followed by Ivory Palace,Arcanum and Winter Magic. :o)

Stan

• maureenpm00
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Stan I am going to have to look those 4 up, I am not familiar with any of them.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Winter Magic is pretty, but for some reason I've not been able to overwinter it, and I've tried twice. I'm going to try again (I'm stubborn).

• tenor_peggy
    19 years ago

Selecting ONE favorite mini is like asking a parent who is their favorite child. Impossible. How's this for enabling? ;-)

Favorite smeller = X-rated.
    Favorite white = Irresistible.
    Favorite red = Captivation - not always queen form, but great bloomer. Old Glory is another good one.
    Favorite bicolor = Hot Tamale - smells good too.
    Favorite apricot = Jean Kenneally.
    Favorite pink = Pierrine - kinda orange pink.
    Favorite mauve = Incognito - bicolor really, has yellow on the outsides of each petal.
    Favorite yellow? I'm still looking for a good pure yellow. Some folks like Rise 'n Shine. I had one but I couldn't control blackspot on it. Fairhope is listed as a light yellow but it looks white to me.

• maureenpm00
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Peggy, enabling at its finest!! I have to go look these up. I remember I did see Pierrine and thought it was beautiful. I have to go look up x=rated. I'm leaning towards scent lately....

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    19 years ago

Lavender Crystal and Stormy Weather for mauves. Miss Flippins and Ralph Moore for red. Michael Cholet [favorite!!!] and Sam Trivitt for apricot. A huge Walmart yellow I just bought, no name [got 5 of them, thank goodness! They sold out quick.] Amy Grant for white/blend. Overnight Scentsation, and Scentsation for pink tones.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    19 years ago

baby grand
    Denver's Dream
    lavender crystal
    saint mary
    violet mist
    Winsome
    sweet chariot
    Lullaby

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Peggy, have you tried Breath of Spring? It's a nice yellow, and really took off in late summer. It does need spraying. Very good form too.

I just noticed that Olympic Gold grew almost to my shoulder, that one is a workhorse too.

• desertratrose
    19 years ago

Hot Tamale is my fav, Maureen!

Suz
    (formerly websuz)

• drswimit
    19 years ago

I'm a fan of Starina.

• brskovich
    19 years ago

Millie Walters and Jessica Rose.
    (it's a tie :)

• richard
    19 years ago

If I had to pick one it would probably be Lavendar Crystal. But I love all the Scentsation-series roses, as well as Magician, Hot Tamale, Sachet, and Baby Claire.

• kathy9norcal
    19 years ago

Amy Grant

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

Jolly Cupido. I love those little red and white blossoms.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Admirable-my favorite fragrant mini.

• Desert_Son
    19 years ago

Call me crazy but I choose Cafe Ole...because of the unusual coloring, the perfect flower form (which are often 3" in diameter fully open and packed with petals), and the delicious PERFUME which wafts freely and copiously throughout the garden from just a couple of plants. My two cents!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    19 years ago

I don't have 1 favorite. All the ones I'm going to list are absolute bloom factories with good to great form. Most have been mentioned above.
    Best smeller: Overnight Scentsation--medium pink
    (Scentsation is even somewhat more fragrant (lavender-pink) but is leggier with fleeting form)
    Linville--georgious soft white with blushing centers
    Pierrine--pale salmon-pink, top show form
    Salute--deep red, 2004(?) Award of Excellence winner
    Hot Tamale--flaming orange,yellow,and pink combo, perfect form
    Loving Touch--soft apricot, I like it even better than Jean Keneally
    Minnie Pearl--pale pink with medium-pink shadings, another top show-form rose.

• ntt_hou
    19 years ago

One of my favorite unusual china rose that made my brother-in-law soooo jealous that he had to hunt it down is the Green Rose. It is truly green, disease resistance and very easy to take care for. Check it out at the link below :-)

Other favorites are: Black Jade and Little Eskimo in tree size.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://uncommonrose.biz/r/greenrose.html

• Leemac_z5_Ma
    19 years ago

Front N Center- Nice bright red with excellant form. And exceptionally long vase life!
    2 garden workhorses are Magic Carousel and Starina.
    Fav. Miniflora is Soroptomist International
    Lee

• cnetter
    19 years ago

I don't know if this one is available anymore, but it's always been a nice neat little plant with such pretty flowers. Tracy Wickham:

• irish_rose_grower
    19 years ago

Wow, what a pretty pic.

• cactusjoe1
    19 years ago

Irrestible. Great flower form. Good white. Long vase life. I just wish mind could be a little more generous with blooms.

{{gwi:1201251}}

• ridgerunner14_wv
    19 years ago

Something For Judy, but I don't know if she is available anymore. I got her from Tiny Petals and as far as I know she is not on their list. She is a wonderful rose though. Darleen :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Something For Judy

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

Favorite yellows- Sequoia Gold, great flower form with petals with the little pointy tip in the center, stay on a really long time, followed by Pacific Serenade which is fragrant.
    Favorite peach- My Honey, a Justice rose, kind of spreads out and trails, lots of blooms, great color that still looks good as it fades somewhat.
    Favorite stripeds- Dreamcatcher, a climber covered with blooms
    followed by Phesant Kobes, 3-3.5' full bush, covered with blooms also. I haven't been able to track down the name anywhere.
    Favorite white- White Cloud, bushy, some pink that fades to white.

• den123
    19 years ago

My favorite mini is Winter Magic. I like this rose because when I walk by it the fragrance is really good. Sweet Arlene is another one of my favorites It also has a nice fragrance

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting