Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible rose bush?

Posted by sunshinelovegirl z4co (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 22:12

my friend gave me a miniature rose bush. It just bloomed its first two flowers
(the week before valentines day, how sweet right). I don't want to just toss out the blooms, so can I toss them in a salad instead? They aren't very fragrant, but they are gorgeous. And could somebody please let me know how long to let the flowers live on the plant. I don't want it to go dormant.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible rose bush?

First of all no part of a rose bush should be eaten unless you are positive it has not been feed or sprayed with chemicals! This is unlikely if this mini rose came from a store because they are sprayed with all sorts of chemicals before they are shipped from the growers. Blossoms and hips that are used for comsumption are strickly from plants that are grown organically. Your plant would need to be purged over a period of time before it would be considered safe enough to eat.

As for your other question about keeping it from going dormat; Roses need a "down time" and a yearly prunning to do their best and I'm assuming you are growing this one in the house. All roses are outside plants and need lots of sun to be happy and healthy. Without alot of elaborate lighting, constant monitoring for heat/moisture and spraying for spider mites your rose will not survive in the house. I recommend if you want to keep this rose to plant it outside in a large pot or in the ground as soon as your weather permits. Blooms can last a matter of days or even weeks depending on the rose itself and should be cut off as soon as they become shabby looking. This will encourage the plant to produce more blooms. Good luck with your new baby :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here